Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:08 AM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2005
333 Posts
潛艇的海底世界 (4 min 49 sec)
arthur0903 is offline Find More Posts by arthur0903
Last edited by arthur0903; Jul 02, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:38 AM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2005
333 Posts
海神號挑戰礁岩 (10 min 15 sec)
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:51 AM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2005
333 Posts
海神海游記 (3 min 59 sec)
Old Aug 03, 2013, 07:30 PM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
Got a question and need some advice on the Neptune.
From what I have read Thunder Tiger has discontinued the sub. I see that kits and most parts are still readily available.
I am having a pool put in my backyard during this winter to be ready by next spring.I am a little concerned about future parts support. I am debating whether to go ahead and buy one now along with some spares or wait 6 months or so and see whats available then.Anyone know what TTigers plans are.Rumors?Thanks
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old Aug 04, 2013, 08:53 AM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2005
333 Posts
Playing with jellyfish.

Neptune 碧砂漁港 (1 min 2 sec)

海神號 (2 min 53 sec)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:52 AM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
tower still sells them they won't be available till September. So I think the are still being made and they are listed on their website as available. I think they are still selling really good. I may have to sell something and get another one. But they are still available. From what I can tell.
shaneperch is offline Find More Posts by shaneperch
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:51 PM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
Thanks.I bought the last one on ebay for $500 and some change.Then spent almost 2 on spares.Guess I should have waited for a used one for parts.Once I got the sub I realize this thing appears to be built like a tank.I bought mostly spares that on my other subs were good to have.Seals,electronics,anything rubber or prevents water from getting in. For now the yellow sub and all the spares will wait in their box till my pool is done hopefully by spring of next year.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:01 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Hi All,

It is my intention to order one of these when TOwer restocks them. Going to get the ready to run version which I suppose comes with everything. A good idea? As I understand from watching various youtube complaints there were issues due to the fuse ... dive fuse getting blown when diving, not sure if that issue has been resolved, or whether if there is an alternative to overcome it.

Im mainly an RC aircraft hobbyist, the only link I have to subs is my modified RC NIKKO seawolf my mother bought me more than 25 years ago...i managed to keep her around and put 2 new escs in them, one for the dynamic vertical submerge and surface capability. The other for the forward backward left right. im using some HXT900 servos, took alot to grind all the innards to accept the new electronics...but the self sealing job proved ok.

Now that this project is complete the neptune sounds very appetizing.
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Last edited by tengarang; Aug 15, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 09:21 AM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2005
333 Posts
海神號 藍灣 (1 min 36 sec)
Old Nov 08, 2013, 08:20 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
428 Posts
Without search through all the posts, can someone advise me how is the TT camera system and where to buy. I guess TT is the first one commercializing FPV system back to when they launch the submarine.

I am quite experienced in FPV build, I can tell the camera is nothing more than 20buck CCD. but I have to source in the waterproof plug for RCA cable, and the plug-in part on submarine. I hope it is 4-pole RCA, where Tx is powered by sub.

I also concerned waterproof of the Tx end, i.e. the build of the Tx bouy to keep waterproof, keep antenna straight. If has to DIY, I will use 5.8G CP antenna with high gain helical on RX. any concern about having an 5.8G antenna 20cm over the water? multipathing?

Their all-in-one Rx handset look convinient, is it a good choice?

Final operation issue, how long the cable is most appropriate to let sub run reasonably free still without cable tangling around underwater object. It is a subjective question though.

I could buy TT stock system if any on market, or I will build it myself.

any comments, experience, idea. or question list too long.
modelerchina is online now Find More Posts by modelerchina
Last edited by modelerchina; Nov 08, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean's One View Post
Dear all,

Here is my video buoy.
Even if itís nothing particularly hi-tech, it may be interesting if anyone is looking for some ideas, not being satisfied by the original video cable provided by TT.

My buoy is made of commercial components.
The hull is obtained from waste water pipes and joints. The diameter is 2Ē (50 mm), large enough to fit the electronics inside, without displacing too much (less than 1 litre).
The buoy floats vertically. I know this is not the best for hydrodynamics, but itís not a problem if the sub slowly explores the bottom, as I want to do. A horizontal buoy would be more complex to balance, with the risk of rolling and having the aerial too close to the water.
When floating, the waterline of my buoy is roughly at 1,5Ē below the top cap. Stability is assured by two ballast rings placed near its bottom, with a total of 12 heavy bolts

The bottom cap (commercial type) has a watertight connector where the cable passes through.
The cable itself comes from the original TT equipment and itís roughly 15ft long.
The diameter of this cable is less than 1/8Ē, therefore itís quite flexible and light (Russ, it should be good for your needs. Have you tried it?).
The weight of such a cable doesnít affect the sub buoyancy. However, as to avoid the cable sinks too much, I added three small floaters on it, spaced 4ft from each other. These floaters are used as approx depth indicators too.

The top cap of the buoy has another watertight screw connector, acting as a valve to flow out the excess of air when closing the top cap.
Also, the connector has a button placed directly below, in order to switch the power on when the screw is totally tightened.
The aerial (wire) stays inside a narrow hose, of the same type used for compressed air.
The inner components are supported by a plastic structure. There are a 2,4 GHz transmitter, a 9V battery, two plugs (to on/off button and to the video cable respectively), some electricals and ballast.

Everything is quite simple, but works fine.
The major improvement I would like to do is changing the transmitter with a new one, having four 2,4GHz channels spaced in the same way as the majority of commercial receivers (and TT Polyphemus too).
Also, Iím going to use a 12V rechargeable battery instead of the actual disposable one. The rechargeable accu may be even larger and heavier: in fact, Iíll put it on the bottom of the buoy, thus replacing part of the actual ballast.
_________

Hi everybody

Oceanís One
Where do you get those water proof plug and slot? Is that OK when the outter layer of co-ax cable contact to water?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
If you mean the waterproof plug shown at post 133, this is the standard SMA connector which comes with the Polyphemus system, submarine version. The kit includes the camera, the monitor and the 15-meter cable, with 3,5mm coax connector at one end and the SMA connector (waterproof) at the other.
The kit also includes the spare parts for the female SMA connector to put at the top bow, inside the metal nut.

You may simply cut the cable at about 5 meter length, then solder the plug you prefer (RCA or other) to connect to the 2.4GHz transmitter inside the buoy. Here you don't need a real waterproof connector, because it is inside the buoy, but you should have proper waterproof sealing at the point the cable enters the buoy. I used simple waterproof sealing for cables, available in any good electronics shop.
Also, the body of the buoy is composed by simple hoses and caps for domestic water plants, made of polypropylene.

Your last question: the outer layer of the coax cable is actually in contact with water. No particular problem with the Neptune.

I hope it can help you.
Ocean's One is offline Find More Posts by Ocean's One
Old Nov 13, 2013, 09:06 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
428 Posts
let me clarify, I want to ask where to get such a waterproof outlet with 4 pin/holes, circle in red.
not the plug in post 133, I saw it is just SMA connector, sorry to ask wrong thread.

And also, it seems another builder drill a hole to the outlet cap (in green), I don't want to waste the stock, cap, where to get such cap with thread inside? This is identical to post 133's cap.

I won't buy the 15 meter kit, as it is too long for my bouy solution. Other then the cap, I need nothing from it, I have plenty of SMA, RCA and cable.
Last edited by modelerchina; Nov 13, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:30 AM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Now I understand. Yes, considering your experience, it was looking strange you ask for info about any standard SMA connector . As you said, you have plenty of them.
On the contrary, I can't help you for the 4-pin waterproof outlet. This is not mine: someone else posted it, not me. I'm sorry.

But if you are just looking for another cap with inner screw, I think you may find it at any plumber's shop. This is a plumbing item, if I remember well the size is 3/8", please check.
Ocean's One is offline Find More Posts by Ocean's One
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:58 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
428 Posts
Thanks, one more question, what is the signal wire hit water. for example, if RCA + / - / and video has contact to water, is that gonna short everything, and make it all blank.
I know water can conduct electric current, but how bad is the situation, say some wire is not sufficiently waterproofed.