HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:29 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Roll Call - Who's going to Soar Utah?

I just registered for Soar Utah. Scott Marshall says that the event is definitely on. This is my first year, but it looks like they have some pretty nice slopes in the area - should be a fun four days. I will be bringing my Spitfire and my Meteor. My buddy will be bringing his Spitfire and some lighter sailplanes. Anyone else going? What planes are you bringing?

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2002, 04:57 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
Wish I could go, the pictures make it look like a lot of fun
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Jul 25, 2002, 05:29 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
I'll be there 4 full days. Driving up from Phoenix there and back will waste two days of flying but it should be worth it. I haven't been since 98 and it was great then. I'll bring my 5 meter Nimbus 4, a new scratch built A-10, a Kobuz, my normal assortment of Slope Scale PSS warbirds and some other goodies like F5B planes converted for slope as well as a new 48" Birdworks Zipper. Steve Willcox will be there also with his 19 lb. Glasair III PSS plane. I'll bring a few electrics for backup flying. That always makes the winds blow...right? There should be two other guys coming from Phoenix as well.

Dave
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Jul 25, 2002, 06:44 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Hey guys,

Would anyone like to volunteer to write an event report?

Dave
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Jul 25, 2002, 09:53 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
Not to mention any names, but Russ should be volunteered to take lots of pictures for those of us unable to attend.
-Dave
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Jul 26, 2002, 12:09 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
We'll be there Friday through Monday with scale planes and otherwise, and e-powered. Time to slope that Vector again (see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=49840)

Dieter
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 26, 2002, 08:09 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Dave and Dave,
Sure, I'll take a stab at it.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 08:20 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
ISR crew is going!!

Me, Carl Maas, Robert Cavazos, Ralph Roberts, Steve Patton, Tim Neja and possibly Jeff Fukushima are going.

Hope your building something light Russ! Soar Utah is not known for it's booming lift. Although last time was an exception for sure with 20-35mph winds all weekend.

The first two Soar Utah events had fairly light winds and would never hold up one of those Fermin Lead sleds you like. If you don't have a light bird you need to build one right quick. Make one of those Spits about 30-40 ounces.

It's a great trip though with some interesting slopes to fly. The Francis Peak trip on Monday is well worth the effort. The view from up there is unbelievable.

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jul 29, 2002, 11:49 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Re: ISR crew is going!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TFLG
... Hope your building something light Russ! Soar Utah is not known for it's booming lift.
Hey Brian,
Really? I'm surprised to hear that. They say Point of the Mountain is "one of the best soaring sites in North America". Guess we're kinda' spoiled here in SoCal, hehehehe. Maybe I should lay one up tonight and see if I can get it ready in time.

BTW, I know you guys will be bringing lots of planes. Got any tips on how to pack them in? We will be coming up in a Suburban. I was thinking of making some racks out of PVC.

Russ.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 12:35 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Conditions in Utah

Russ,

They also say Torrey is one of the best sites on the planet??? Folks don't get out much, eh?

POTM is a good site, its pretty steep (30-45 degrees) and has slopes facing a couple of different directions. It's flat and smooth on top (the big scale guys love this feature). It's about twice as high as Fermin (300' or so). The lift is typical inland stuff with a mix of slope and thermal lift.

The weather in Utah is a little wierd and afternoon thunder storms tends to be the norm (bring wet weather gear!). We have had rain every year I've been and last year it rained really hard on Thursday and Friday. Temps are usually 80 - 90 but last time it was freezing due to the strong wind.

The first two events the winds were very fickle. It was just barley flyable the first year. The second one was slightly better but for PSS stuf it was still quite light most of the time. Last year was great with good strong winds both Saturday and Sunday. I still would not have chucked that Spit of yours though.

You'll have a great time just bring planes for all conditions. Electrics are a good backup if you have them. We have flown them every year when the wind is not cooperating.

To pack our stuff we just use towels and bubble wrap then stack them across the back of our vans. We stand them upright on the wingtip and nose. We can easily get 20+ in our vans with one seat removed.

TFLG
Old Jul 29, 2002, 01:11 PM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Should be there

I should be there ... hopefully! I plan on registering as soon as the new credit card gets here (nextcard was my old card).

This is a once in a lifetime chance to go, since I live only 40 miles north of POTM at Hill AFB. Most likely, our friendly Air Force will find someplace for me to go before the 2004 Soar Utah.

PTOM is simply a great place to fly. Big slope, huge landing area on top, and when the winds blow you can put up some heavy stuff (though I don't know about Seafury's Spit).

Antelope island is still a fun place to fly! Nice north and south facing slopes provide great soaring no matter if the wind is north or south blowing.

A friend and I have been flying out at Francis peak the past couple Sundays. Light winds around 8 mph two weeks ago was enough to keep the light stuff in the air, and yesterday's 15 - 20 mph winds was enough to easily keep an EPP BD jet in the air. And the view is simply awsome!

Now to find something to take that is worth flying at Soar Utah ... where's that C130 plan again ...

MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:52 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Brian,
Thanks for the heads-up on the weather! I most likely would not have brought any rain gear other than a jacket - good tip.

I laid-up another fuse last night and will see if I can get a lighter plane ready to go in time. One can never have too many Spitfires anyway, right?

Bubble wrap and towels sound like a good way to go - much easier than trying to build some kind of bulky rack.

See you guys up there.
Russ.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 01:32 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Russ

The weather is usually very nice but bring some adverse weather gear just in case. We have seen some incredible thunder storms almost every trip to Soar Utah. The good news is that right before the rain hits it usually howls. Just remember when the antenna starts buzzing from all the static electricity you might wanna consider landing (or lowering the antenna a bit!).

You have a full month to get a light spit ready. Light ones actually build a little quicker usually than the Fermin beasts. Keep the ass end light and that should really help get the weight down to a reasonable level. Sheet the wing with 1/16 balsa but still use a hardwood LE (1/2 x 1/2 spruce or bass).

Now I just gotta finish my new F-20!

TFLG
Old Jul 31, 2002, 12:07 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
TFLG and Russ,

Finally some decent slope talk on this forum. Do bring some Fermin sleds, Russ, one never knows, and I may want to "aquire" one... :o)

Dieter
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 31, 2002, 11:49 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Brian,
Yes, I remember seeing your new F-20 plug here in the forum a while back - that is a gorgeous fuse. Can't wait to see the completed plane. I know it will be a beauty!

Dieter,
I'll try to have a semi-kit ready to bring along just in case.

Russ.