Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:20 PM
calgary, alberta
Joined Jun 2002
17 Posts
Hobby Lobby Super Cub 400

Hi
I have some questions about the Super Cub. If anybody could help out....

1) I would like to modify the wing with ailerons...is that possible?

2) Is a speed 400 6v enough power and could I use a speed 500?

3) Will the cub ROG?

Thanks in advance

Jim
jimdrever is offline Find More Posts by jimdrever
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,743 Posts
HL Cub Power

I use a 6v S400 in a 2.3:1 Mini-Olympus gearbox, 9X5 Graupner Slim Prop, and nine 500AR nicad cells in my 28 oz 54" w/s Comet Aeronca Chief. I can rise off and land on short grass easily, climb rapidly to 500 feet and cruise for 6-10 minutes depending on lift etc. It will thermal very well. Covering is Litespan with Dope trim. I can loop after a shallow dive. Be sure to strengthen wing center section (and beyond) and make the struts functional if you are going to try loops. It should be fairly easy to incorporate ailerons using tourque rods and a single servo. If you build in moderate dihedral you would not need ailerons on your Cub. Dihedral is necessary to turn nicely with rudder and elevator.

BTW, I have the tail wheel mounted to the rudder so I can taxi very realistically.

Use the search engine to find threads on HL Cub wing strengthening.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 25, 2002, 04:20 PM
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
97 Posts
Jim,
If your referring to the Hobby lobby HLAR07 , $29 kit, here are data on one I built three years ago and still are flying.
Motor: 6 volt Graupner 400
Gearbox: Graupner GR170323, 2:33:1
Prop: Graupner GPS08040, Slimprop 8/4
Battery, seven, Sanyo KR600 AE cells
Weight- 24 ounces
Covering- Litespan
Quick takeoffs, six minutes flying time at 3/4 throttle, will loop and stall turn. I wouldn't bother with ailerons on this small airplane. It is all stick construction and somewhat fragile. Very pretty in the air. Not hard to build if you have experience with built up structure.
Dick Curtis is offline Find More Posts by Dick Curtis
Old Jul 25, 2002, 04:49 PM
The Bent Pin
McMinnville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
211 Posts
I built one a while back set up the same as Dick's. Nice little plane that looked very scale in the air. ROG was no problem and ailerons not necessary. If I were to do it again I would reinforce the bottom longeron where the landing gear attaches and try to devise a way to change the battery faster. Repeatedly taking off and putting on the wing inevitably leads to broken struts.

John
JCastle is offline Find More Posts by JCastle
Old Jul 25, 2002, 05:45 PM
calgary, alberta
Joined Jun 2002
17 Posts
Thanks for the feed back guys. Nice looking planes.
I will confess now that I have attempted building 2 cubs, both ended in failure...due entirely to inexperience in building and flying. But I'm going to give it another try. I have a few models under my belt now and I like the look of the cub.

BTW, any comments on direct drive 400 with a 6x3 prop?

Jim
jimdrever is offline Find More Posts by jimdrever
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:33 PM
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
97 Posts
John's Cub sure looks nice with the balloon whells and paint job.
Regards battery changing, I left the right window open and insert the battery through it. Leave abour 6 inches of wire to pull through the window opening, plug in the battery and insert, I put velcro on the battery and floor to hold in place. works fine if you don't have fat fingers.
I wouldn't go with a direct drive with a six inch diameter prop since the plane is draggy and needs the thrust of a larger diameter prop. Remember that thrust goes up as the prop diameter fourth power so 6^4=1296 and 8^4 =4096: so 3 times the thrust (greater rpm would reduce to a factor of two).
Good Luck and send us a photo when finished.
Dick Curtis is offline Find More Posts by Dick Curtis
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:53 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
WOW!! I love how the Super Cub's have turn'd out in the hands of expert builders. Makes me want to change my covering to something even better GOOD LOOK"N J-3's guys
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia