HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:25 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Help!
What is the best methd to transfer plan on Fanfold?

What is the best way to put plans/template on FFF? I am working on a 48" wing span waterplane.

a) Hot iron on laser printed paper on foam.

b) Spay-glue to fix plan on foam and cut both.

c) Use carbon paper to trace plan on foam.

Please comment.
rkhoo is offline Find More Posts by rkhoo
Last edited by rkhoo; Jun 21, 2006 at 10:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:38 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
D)I cut close to the outline with scissors. I then lay all of my paper "somewhat" templates on the foam and tape the whole perimeter down with some masking tape. With the tape on, you can still see the line and you just cut it out, removing the paper/tape after.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:39 PM
Central Maine
Joined Mar 2006
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhoo
What is the best way to put plans/template on FFF? I am working on a 48" wing span waterplane.

a) Hot iron on laser printed paper on foam.

b) Spay-glue to fix plan on foam and cut both.

c) Use carbon paper to trace plan on foam.

Please comment.

I use a spray glue adhesive lightly on just the paper then peel it off once cut. Leaves very little residue and goo be gone cleans it off good. Hermit
HermitRiver is offline Find More Posts by HermitRiver
Old Jun 22, 2006, 01:36 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I have both taped and pinned them to the foam. I have done it with plans completely cut out, and not completely cut out (cutting the plan and foam at the same time). The first time I ever did it, I cut out the template, then laid it on the foam and traced around it (very time consuming). I usually just pin them down now. Hot iron could damage or warp the foam and carbon paper tracing sounds too much like work. I can pin one to the work super fast and just cut it out. Just make sure you have a sharp #11 and a small sharpening stone handy.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:48 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Around here , we printout the plans on some 8.5"x11" index card stock, cut them out and tape together... place the template on the FFF(holding it steady with your other hand) and trace around it with a Ball point pen .... SIMPLE !!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:38 AM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
I like to stick the plans to poster board using either a glue stick or a spray adhesive. I cut out the pattern and now I have reusable template that I can stick to the FFF with pins and trace around with an ultra fine point Sharpie. My preferred method, however, is to cut out the parts directly using a simple hot wire jig that I made for a few dollars. If you are going to be doing a lot of FFF construction you really should consider the hot wire approach. There are many posts on the E-Zone from simple to sophisticated hot wire jigs.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:45 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
I outline the cutout plans with a kid's glue stick (just a light application of the glue), then affix the plan to the FFF, and lastly trace around it with a ball point pin. The minimal amount of glue residue either dries transparently or you can easily get it off the FFF with your fingertips.
glovesave39 is offline Find More Posts by glovesave39
Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:08 AM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
I tape the plans onto fanfold. then poke through the plans with a balpoint pin at 'corners'/curves, then remove the paper, and then use a ruler to 'connect the dots' on the foam. That way my plans are reusable.
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:21 AM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Thankyou all.

I have settled on using spay-glue paper templae onn foam. Then cut them both in one pass.

Boy, it is difficult to cut perpendicaular for a perfect glue joint.

Could hot-wire cut thru both FFFF and paper as well? Or I have to use card stock as guide?
rkhoo is offline Find More Posts by rkhoo
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:57 AM
International flyer
France, Alsace, Wissembourg
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
I print the plans on normal paper, then cut the templates, and tape them with transparent tape on the foam. Then i cut both of them with hot wire, it's cutting well the tape and it's easy to follow the outlines cause of the paper that avoid the wire going in the part.

The only disadvantage of this method is that it's using a lot of tape !

TeX
Lampatex is offline Find More Posts by Lampatex
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
Brit in Bahrain
Bahrain
Joined Mar 2004
610 Posts
The trouble with using paper plans directly on foam is that you do not have a templare if you want to make another (unless you copied the plans)

I favour printing the plans direct onto cardstock - cut them out - now you have reusable templates, and then I use a few squares of double sided tape to stick the templates to the foam. Cut round them with a scalpel - using a new blade, lever off the cardstock for re-use and start building.

Nigel
Nigelp is offline Find More Posts by Nigelp
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
Media, Pa/Blacksburg Va
Joined Oct 2004
1,238 Posts
I use pins. I cut out the shapes first, they pin them to the foam and trace them. It works best for me.
SaMx is offline Find More Posts by SaMx
Old Jun 23, 2006, 01:37 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
I glue my plans to cardstock and then use 3M repositionable glue stick to hold the templet to the foam and cut both the foam and templet out at the same time. I am with Nigel, use a scalpel and change blades as neccessary.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs