1,201 Posts
Discussion
Eddie the Eagle Flies at last!

See the photos on the last page of my build thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...25#post5647327
I hope when I've sorted trimming him out that there will be a video
Colin
colin wavell is offline Find More Posts by colin wavell
Last edited by colin wavell; Jun 21, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:12 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,685 Posts
Well done Colin! It sure is nice to see Eddy leave the nest after all this time.

Heather and bracken huh? That stuff sure looks a lot like what we call weeds and bushes on this side of the pond.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:17 PM
Fish Head!
Taunton, Somerset (UK)
Joined Nov 2003
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice
Well done Colin! It sure is nice to see Eddy leave the nest after all this time.

Heather and bracken huh? That stuff sure looks a lot like what we call weeds and bushes on this side of the pond.
Yes but it's prettier than weeds and bushes
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:52 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,501 Posts
Congratulations, Colin, your baby is no longer an eyas! Remember, all fledglings are awkward on their first flight or two! Look forward to video after he matures a bit more.

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:11 AM
Fish Head!
Taunton, Somerset (UK)
Joined Nov 2003
1,201 Posts
Bump
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:00 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,314 Posts
Well done Colin, he is a White Tailed Sea Eagle then ? Nice to see him in the air. Great paint job for realism but Mamma Nature wasn`t a slope soarer, you just cant see them against the heather when they are below the horizon ! Gorse landing recovery is a prickly problem, had one last week, legs are like pin-cushions. Any further ideas on a sound system ?
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:32 AM
Fish Head!
Taunton, Somerset (UK)
Joined Nov 2003
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow5
Well done Colin, he is a White Tailed Sea Eagle then ? Nice to see him in the air. Great paint job for realism but Mamma Nature wasn`t a slope soarer, you just cant see them against the heather when they are below the horizon ! Gorse landing recovery is a prickly problem, had one last week, legs are like pin-cushions. Any further ideas on a sound system ?
Yes a White tailed Sea Eagle of about 3 years old so I could have the black edges to the tail and dark head.The light coloured adult head was just too difficult to paint. I hope to get up to Mull someday to see the real thing. The more I have got interested in the real ones the more of a poor immitation Eddie looks! Sound system has been shelved at the moment because of the weight of speakers. If I build a mark II I would consider incorperating heavy speakers as far forward in the head as possible. There have been some good articles in the model press about sound for electric models.
In the summer my legs look like a battle ground and I'm constantly digging out microscopic prickles as they fester! In the winter its not a problem as gortex over trousers provide good protection.
Last edited by colin wavell; Jun 22, 2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:31 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,078 Posts
Great stuff Colin! Eddie looks awesome!

Quote:
Sound system has been shelved at the moment because of the weight of speakers. If I build a mark II I would consider incorperating heavy speakers as far forward in the head as possible. There have been some good articles in the model press about sound for electric models.
One of our friends on the Llynn Perninsula in North Wales built an Eddie, and it had on board sound. It wasn't very loud - this was around 5 years ago, and the small speaker technology wasn't as good as it is now - but it was very realistic... so realistic in fact that, when it squarcked unexpectedly when I first picked it up, I dropped it in surprise!
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer