Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:32 PM
Spead Eagle, WI (about 2 hours north of Green Bay)
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Discussion
Homemade AP construction progress

I am making some progress on the building of my AP plane. The design is based loosely on the pink AP1 but scaled down slightly and a few major modifications to the design. It is built entirely out of FF. The wingspan is 48" and it will be powered w/ a nippy 1812/100 and a 3s lipoly. I am hoping that I can also fly it as an aerobatic, maybe even 3d flyer also so that is why I have such large control surfaces on the tail lol. I am going to use a phoenix 25, berg receiver, and hs55 servos. I am just waiting for the motor and battery system to come in the mail and right now I have the final glue joints on the wing drying. What do you think?
Dan
Picoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Picoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:50 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,775 Posts
If I may,
I would strenghten the wing with carbon spar.
I dont see the foam spar holding well if you want to put some weight on the plane as well as do some aerobatics.
If you did not close the wing yet you could use an CF arrow shaft or some other thiner tube.
weigh is negligible but strenght is awsome.
just my 2cs
Otherwise it looks really good
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:10 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86
If I may,
I would strenghten the wing with carbon spar.
I dont see the foam spar holding well if you want to put some weight on the plane as well as do some aerobatics.
If you did not close the wing yet you could use an CF arrow shaft or some other thiner tube.
weigh is negligible but strenght is awsome.
just my 2cs
Otherwise it looks really good
almost a must if you are sending up a payload. it is important to make sure the spar is in good solid contact with the lower(bottom) surface. I use gorilla glue mixed with a bit of water (like 95:5). a lil drizzle will do an you get a heck of a bond. looking at the wing, you may know that already.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:43 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Folsom, CA
Joined May 2002
2,516 Posts
WARNING, WARNING - install a CARBON SPAR!

What nakelp86 and ImaBiggles said!....

Otherwise you will think all is fine until you LOAD IT UP with all your expensive gear and you will end up with THIS:

http://www.foamandfusion.com/VideoClips/SparFailure.mpg

Yes, unfortunately I know PERSONALLY! Fortunately no equuipment or properties were harmed during that fully loaded maiden flight...

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Hmmm...unfortunately I already had the wing sealed up before I saw these replies....I guess I could cut out an opening on the underside of the wing for the spar and GG it in. It is done drying now and it is amazingly stiff, far stiffer than my SS wing, but I think I would rather be safe than sorry lol. I just dont have any carbon spars right now that are long enough for this wing (48"!), nakelp86 mentioned using a CF arrow shaft...can you get them long enough for this wing? Also, what does thinning the GG do? I built this whole plane using unthinned GG and it is amazingly strong (I used a skewer stick to apply small amounts).
Thanks
Dan
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:42 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Pico - the water activates the glue. Sort of like what kicker does for CA, but it also makes it expand drastically. Test some out on a paper plate to get a feel for how much it will expand.

A little will go a LONG way...

The carbon spar doesn't have to be 48".

Even if you just go 36" it will help... I'd recommend against smaller, but I think if you had nothing else, then even a 24" would help. Go check out the kites at Wal-mart... Apparently there are decent spars to be had inside a $3.00 kite. Haven't had time/need to go find one for myself there. I've also found decent spars at Academy sports... Arrow shafts.

To install the spar, I'd simply cut a groove that will allow the spar to lay flush in the foam... Sprinkle the area with water (I keep a spray bottle around for my poly glue) and then get the spar into that gap. Lay some tape over the top to keep the glue/foam from expanding back out of the wing and you're set.

Good luck!

-uproar90
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:47 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
What they all said.
If anyone tells you a spar is not needed they just want to hear about the crash
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:52 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,775 Posts
Pico
the arrows come in 30 and 32" lenghts,
do some shopping and in not Wal_Mart (mine doesnt have them) get to any better sport or camping store (Camp More?).
Arrows are fairly cheap and as was said cut out the grove on the bottom and inbed the shaft.
Dont want to ho with trickery CA use epoxy (15min) gives U plenty of time so set it right.
30 or 32" arrow will do for 48" wing just make it symetrical The middle if the wing is where are the greatest forces. tape over the spar is helpfull too (spreads the load)
If you can get arrows, cheap kites are good source for CF rods
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:13 AM
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Thanks everyone,
I'll try to get an arrow shaft. I have run into one other problem though...I want to set it up w/ 2 aileron servos and I am using a Berg 5 channel reciever w/ an Eclipse 7 tx. According to the eclipse instructions channel 1 is the right servo and channel 6 is the left servo for aileron control. The Berg reciever shows a channel 5/6 as the last slot open and then there is an Batt. plugin. I plugged a servo into the channel 5/6 but it didnt work as one of the aileron servos, instead I think it worked as channel 5 for the landing gear. How do I set it up to operate as the other aileron servo w/ the Berg 5?
Thanks
Dan
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:13 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picoflyer
Also, what does thinning the GG do? I built this whole plane using unthinned GG and it is amazingly strong (I used a skewer stick to apply small amounts).
Thanks
Dan
In addition to the above comments, the 'prefoam' makes it easier to work with and you can control how much you use better (much less glue on the plane). It also makes the stuff cure to touch in about 15 minutes.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:14 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone,
I'll try to get an arrow shaft. I have run into one other problem though...I want to set it up w/ 2 aileron servos and I am using a Berg 5 channel reciever w/ an Eclipse 7 tx. According to the eclipse instructions channel 1 is the right servo and channel 6 is the left servo for aileron control. The Berg reciever shows a channel 5/6 as the last slot open and then there is an Batt. plugin. I plugged a servo into the channel 5/6 but it didnt work as one of the aileron servos, instead I think it worked as channel 5 for the landing gear. How do I set it up to operate as the other aileron servo w/ the Berg 5?
Thanks
Dan
make a custom mix.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:51 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,775 Posts
Pico, if U have a problem with set up and no answers here,
try customer service of your radio.
I have JR and when I need it to set up all 7channels for cam trigger and so on the guided me step by step on the phone.
Works like a dream.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2006, 04:00 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Folsom, CA
Joined May 2002
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm...unfortunately I already had the wing sealed up before I saw these replies....I guess I could cut out an opening on the underside of the wing for the spar and GG it in. It is done drying now and it is amazingly stiff, far stiffer than my SS wing, but I think I would rather be safe than sorry lol. I just dont have any carbon spars right now that are long enough for this wing (48"!), nakelp86 mentioned using a CF arrow shaft...can you get them long enough for this wing? Also, what does thinning the GG do? I built this whole plane using unthinned GG and it is amazingly strong (I used a skewer stick to apply small amounts).
Thanks
Dan
No worries!

I did the same thing, you need to get yourself some Carbon Laminate - 0.007" x 0.375"

You can get it here: http://www.cstsales.com/carbon_fiber_uni_laminates.html

Cut a slit along the entire top of the foam spar, insert said carbon strip, glue with foam safe CA, tape ofer the top with 3M heavy duty strapping tape. (this tape has the filaments going both horizontally and vertically) Tape over that with colored tape (the strapping tape is not UV resistant).

Turn the wing over and do the same to the under side of the foam spar. These carbon strips are cheap... maybe $4 each

This is how I fixed my failed spar on the Depron Dragon... many, MANY flights since... and loaded HEAVY!

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade