HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2002, 09:10 AM
Joined Dec 2001
217 Posts
Just built my FMA RAZOR - How tough are these things?

So how do these FMA razors break? It says you can fold a wing in half without cracking it...that makes it sound indestructible.

Is it more robust than a Zagi?
Darn Servo ! is offline Find More Posts by Darn Servo !
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2002, 09:27 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,465 Posts
NO, It is not more Robust then a Zagi!

The Razor will take a lot of abuse but on some crashes that a Zagi will just bounce away from the Razor splits or rips open and then is in need of repair. Speed and angle at impact seem to be the deciding factors. The faster and more head on the more likely the Razor will need repair. The Zagi's plastic shell fuselage will crack and break on major impacts but the wing itself generally holds up better in similar crashes. At least that has been my experience watching club members with their Razors. On original Zagi with 642 flights now recorded. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2002, 11:35 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Razors are a bit more durable

Iíve had 4 razors, and own 2 now, as well as one Zagi. I fly those wings a lot. There are good points and bad points about each plane.

The Razors seems to be a bit more durable, can take more knocking around than the Zagi. The Razors seems to crack where the Zagi seems to crush during head-ins. Cracks are easier to fix. The Zagi foam gets soft after a few hits, the Razors donít get soft as quickly.

On head-ins the Razors seem to crack around the TE, near the motor, Zagis donít seem to have the same problem but itís tough to spot small cracks since the thing is covered. Iíve never cracked a spar on either the Zagi or the Razor.

The Zagi does not seem to death spiral as much as the Razor, Iím sure this is a matter of drag, Razors have more drag than the Zagi. The trick is to keep up your air speed, and donít stale it. But, on windy days when youíre trying to land, that can be tough.

I like both wings. The Zagi is better looking, glides longer, and does not have too many bad habits (besides the death spiral). The Razor is a bit more durable, faster, but death spirals more, and is not as attractive.

I have found that my 600 Razors are more stable and easier to control than my 400s. I think the additional power keeps them moving, and thus less likely to head in. They seem to glide longer as well, donít know why, they are much heavier.

Either plane is great. Youíll have a ball.
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:56 PM
Joined Dec 2001
217 Posts
death spirals

HavingFun2002,

Did you round 1/2 to 2/3 of the outer leading edge of the wing on the razor as the instruction recommend?

It seems to make sense with regards to the tip stall induced death spirals.

I took extra care to verify the CG and also limit the weight.. My total flying weight is 22 ounces.
Darn Servo ! is offline Find More Posts by Darn Servo !
Old Jul 25, 2002, 01:10 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
I did. Not sure it makes much difference. You want to make sure CG is nuts on, keep up your air speed, know your stale speed, and have a good time.

FMA has a section in thier instructions about how to get out of a death spiral. Good idea to read that, albeit, it does not always work.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 01:25 PM
Formerly CA now Missouri
Joined Sep 2001
555 Posts
I have had 2 razors....and 2 zagi 400x's...... I agree with HavingFun2002 that the Zagi's look better...... but if you shave off the bottom of the FMA razor and cover the whole wing with Ultracote...... I think the razor will not only look better.... but be more durable that the zagi!

FMA razors(uncovered) don't like sharp objects such as gravel, branches, metal signs and guardrails.....etc. But if you cover it with iron on film.....it becomes almost indestructable!
saint152 is offline Find More Posts by saint152
Old Jul 25, 2002, 01:35 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
I ordered a few 400s, they are a dead product now. I may cover mine albeit it adds weight.

Do your Razors spiral?
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:28 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
By the way, I was coming out of inverted last week with my Razor 600. I pull up (to go down) and loop back to level flight. Did not see that backstop, the Razor hit it doing about 50 or 60 MPH. It hit so hard the winglets both popped off, it ejected all of the gear, and canopy. 5 mins repairing a few cracks and soft spots, glueing the winglets back on, replacing the prop, and reinstalling the gear and itís back in the air.

One tough bird.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:50 PM
Formerly CA now Missouri
Joined Sep 2001
555 Posts
the only time I ever had a problem with the spiral of death was when I would slope glide my razor with no motor!!....
saint152 is offline Find More Posts by saint152
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:56 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Same here. Typically happens when I let my pack run down, or during a deadstick. Air speed is important with those ships.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 08:24 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,034 Posts
I recommend putting strrapping tape across the TE all the way across the fuselage at least 1/3 out on the wing. Head on crashes can cause the wings to shear off close to the fuselage. The strapping tape will help spread these forces across a wider area.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy