SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2002, 08:32 AM
Go Wallabies!
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Dec 2000
372 Posts
Albatros DV

Gents here is my latest little effort.

I have to say it is the best flying model in my hanger at this time.

it is a speed 480bbrace with a 3.8 to 1 gearbox fed from 8 cp 1300 cells turning a 10x6 prop.

span is 38 inches scaled up from the earl Stal plans that i got from bengton, ( sorry i dont remember your first name). controlls are rudder aileron elevator and throttle.

I have to say this model is just fabulous. it lept off the ground at 3/4 throttle and flies really happily at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. loops are just a case of throttle up and up elevator. In the calm late afternoon air at my club last weekend i got 9 and a half minutes before i had to land and it wasnt all just figure 8's.

here is a pic. i still have to pull a spinner and paint the wings but this was its condition for the test flights. it isnt as good as some of the other wonderful models here but i am really pleased with it.

cheers

Craig
CraigO is offline Find More Posts by CraigO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2002, 11:22 AM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Craig,
What a lovely model! I am sure it is especailly really beautiful in the air too. How did you install the ailerons?

As you know, I did one from this plan set. Mine had some initial problems with wing incidence but after that it is a real nice flyer. I have to admit that the Albatros DV is on my top 5 list of all time most attractive planes. Perhaps even the top. I wonder if anyone would like a kit similar to this type? What do you think?

Kurt
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:34 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
craigO,SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! The size is nice,but for me 60" would fill my wants.Keep up the great work from down under!!!!!!!stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jul 25, 2002, 03:39 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
The Albatros D series were definitely the most beautiful WWI era aircraft, and they're in the running for the most beautiful ever. Yours is a fine example. What is your fuselage construction method?

I for one would love to see somebody kit the Albatros DV. A little bigger would be my preference, but I'd probably buy it at any reasonable scale.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 25, 2002, 05:12 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,789 Posts
Craig,
Nice mate, really nice. You've done a great job on one of THE greats.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 25, 2002, 05:21 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
Laser kits

fok go here,www.funaero.com they have what your looking for KOMET44
Old Jul 25, 2002, 06:22 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Thanks for the link Stefan! 10-11 pounds, .91 engine, didn't realize they'd be so big. Maybe I ought to ask the tooth fairy for a 48" version.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 25, 2002, 06:36 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
fok, i don'y remeber the web site but cleveland model plans offer it in 4 or 5 sizes. try them. It is pretty impressive kit .there was one plane at the WRAM show this past winter.there useing robart hinges to give it a somewhat scale look.stefanP
Old Jul 25, 2002, 06:48 PM
Lewistown, Montana
Joined Feb 2002
109 Posts
Craig,

Very nice model!! It looks great and sounds like it flies great too!!

You all get my vote for someone making a kit. I would like to see something in a 1/9 or 1/8 scale (44" span?). The Albatross D-V is one on the most graceful WWI birds with its rounded fusalage and smooth lines. There's also so many color variations to choose from.

Jim
Jim Drissell is offline Find More Posts by Jim Drissell
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:48 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
I'd have to second Komet's recommendation on Fun Aero. They do excellent laser cutting. I was actually talking to Jan at Fun Aero today. Very nice lady. They give very fast service too.

Flying Models Magazine has a review of their Albatros DII kit in this months issue.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2002, 10:36 PM
Go Wallabies!
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Dec 2000
372 Posts
Thanks Guys

Thanks fellas

I am really pleased with it.

Kurt
I took your advice and did the wings at 0 and 2 degrees rather than what the plans showed.

I am only using one aileron servo in the middle of the wing with a simple snake. the ailerons arent terribly effective in the air but together with the rudder they are great,

fus us built up using 1/2 of the stringers shown in the plan and then covered in 1mm balsa sheet. it took a while an i originally thought of staining and doping it but eventually I got impatient to see it in the air and covered it all.

I made all of the cabanes out of wire to give me some extra strength and used a full depth 1/8th spar. i even used some thin carbon fibre strips over the dihedral braces to add som more strength.

at 38" and nearly 30 oz i thought it was going to be a pig but when it took off at 3/4 throttle and climebed away beautifully i changed my mind.

thanks for all of the compliments guys. i think that my next project might be a similarly sized DR1.

cheers

Craig
CraigO is offline Find More Posts by CraigO
Old Jul 28, 2002, 12:44 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
nice looking plane....The DR 1 is also one you will like. It flies,as a friend of mine says...... " like a Cub on steroids " and would be a great addition to your fleet. Keep up the good work.
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron