HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:38 AM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
365 Posts
Ten10

Very nice build and video, it looks great in the air, when the boom went down it looked for real, are the 4 engines in operation or only 2, I have recieved the two extra narcelles needed for this build, now I just need the plane LOL

How did you get the boom to activate, pic's would be helpful

Mike
limodune is offline Find More Posts by limodune
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:02 PM
Dir_D_Redd
United States, GA, Clayton
Joined Jan 2010
328 Posts
If you guys lose your main wing screws. I bought these off of Ebay. I hope this help some of you 777 fliers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261004214556...84.m1439.l2649
dirdredd is offline Find More Posts by dirdredd
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:35 PM
Citizen of the Universe
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2004
352 Posts
I didnt take any pics of the boom before covering the mechanism. I used some hobby shop alumunum tubing, made a wrap around clamp to use as the pivot for lowering the boom and for attaching the linkage to the servo. I then attached a piece of carbon fiber rod to the end of a long piece of golden rod to make the telescoping part. I had to fabricate a very long servo arm to get the travel I needed to get the rod to in and out a reasonable distance. I wish I had taken pictures, it took me a while to figure out just how to make it all work. Also, just two working engines.
Good timing on the lost screw post, I lost one last weekend. If anyone has an airliner come out and join us at WATTFEST 2012 near Tampa Florida on 13 and 14 October, if its electric powered, its welcome at WATTFEST. A few pictures of mine and others airliner projects.
Denny
tenacious101010 is offline Find More Posts by tenacious101010
Last edited by tenacious101010; Oct 02, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
365 Posts
Ten10

Thanks that will help me with my build, have a good weekend of flying

\Mike
limodune is offline Find More Posts by limodune
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
St.Louis, MO
Joined May 2007
28 Posts
Sorry to be so late to the party. I just got my 777 flying last week...a few pictures attached.

For now it's flying on the recommended 3500kv motors and stock fans, but I did make the change to a pair of Turnigy Sentry 30A ESCs after watching one crash on YouTube because of a fried ESC. I mounted them to the top of the wing inside the fuselage where they can stay cooler. Batteries are Turnigy 3s2200 20c packs and seem to be good for 8 minutes of part-throttle flying. One thing that I didn't like on the airframe were the stock plastic hinges...they had a lot of resistance at full control deflection and the servos didn't seem too happy, so I replaced them with some Great Planes control hinges. Servos are much quieter now. I'm using HS-55s for the ailerons and rudder, a separate Turnigy TG-9 for the nose steering, and a Spektrum DS821 that I got with my DX-7 for the elevators.

As you can see in the pictures I fly off a paved strip, and while some think it's underpowered it seems to fly very scale-like as it is. Handling is pretty good, but the light wing loading does cause it to get bounced around quite a bit by wind. It had quite a bit of adverse yaw with full down aileron so I dialed in 30% aileron differential and got rid of most of it. I'm going to try mixing in a little bit of rudder or maybe increasing the aileron differential to 50%, or both and see what it likes.

I'm going to fly it for awhile until the weather makes it unbearable, and over the winter I plan to add retracts and maybe put an airline paint scheme on it. I'm looking at doing something along the lines of Pan Am, TWA, Braniff, Eastern, etc.

Looking forward to flying it more.
Auger1n is offline Find More Posts by Auger1n
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:41 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Thread revival... My KC-135 project is in the home stretch, I am down to the retracts, boom on the back and my Squadrons decals from Callie and its ready to fly!

kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:44 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Looks great boomer!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
St.Louis, MO
Joined May 2007
28 Posts
Looks great!
Auger1n is offline Find More Posts by Auger1n
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:03 PM
Citizen of the Universe
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2004
352 Posts
A buddy of mine has an E-FLITE airliner, new still in the box for sale. Its listed here on RC marketplace.
tenacious101010 is offline Find More Posts by tenacious101010
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:24 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
Looks like some air refueling in the future? Maybe a few flights in pre-contact position would be safer huh?

Both planes look great!

Snoop42
snoop42 is offline Find More Posts by snoop42
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:31 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
More like hold the receiver at one mile until bingo . Finished the decals today. Down to the retract install and the boom.
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Feb 2006
8 Posts
This ship is certainly a blast from the past; EPS foam, nonstandard sized fan units. But, they say the old playthings are certainly the best! And I agree. I am building mine right now; this was the plane that prompted me to get back into RC after a 5 year hiatus, but of course it goes and gets discontinued after I buy it. Oh, well. So, I am going to town with the mods (I'll start a build thread when I get a little further along), but so far I have modded it to accept servoless retracts, extended the wings by 6" each including winglets, I've glassed the bottoms of the wings and will be doing the tops tomorrow (2 plies of 3oz. glass, West epoxy), then eventually will be glassing the fuse, extending the horizontal and vertical tail, spoilers, flaps, nav lights of my own design, sequenced gear doors, and thrust reversers. All of this is a huge digression from my original reason for writing: what is the thrust of the stock power system? I know that it will be underpowered for my plane, I just am trying to figure by how much. I am considering a pair of 64mm alloy fan units from H.K. that put out 1.4-1.7kg thrust; I think that would be sufficient. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!
propblade is offline Find More Posts by propblade
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Feb 2006
8 Posts
I just did a static test on the fans: E-flite 420DF motor 3800kV, stock 3 blade fans, BP 40A ESC, Genesis Power 3s 2200 65C battery.

350g thrust (static load)
195W
18A
42,180 rpm (calculated)

Good setup for a stock ship, but with my mods, I figure I'll be at least 50% heavier.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:23 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propblade View Post
I just did a static test on the fans: E-flite 420DF motor 3800kV, stock 3 blade fans, BP 40A ESC, Genesis Power 3s 2200 65C battery.

350g thrust (static load)
195W
18A
42,180 rpm (calculated)

Good setup for a stock ship, but with my mods, I figure I'll be at least 50% heavier.
you're gonna need more power. why extend the wings?
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
8 Posts
I extended the wings to give it a more scale appearance; the stock wings just seemed too short. I'm also hoping the extra area will help offset the extra weight from construction. I'll also be extending the vertical and horizontal stabs as well, then recalculating the CG. For power, I'm considering a 10-12 blade fan setup from Hobbyking, maybe a 70mm or even a 90mm. Found a couple capable of 1.4-1.7kg thrust. Obviously they wouldn't fit in the stock nacelles, so I'll need to do a little more foam fabrication I also just got my decals from Callie; doing the new American scheme. I probably won't be flying her yet this season, it's finally spring here so time to get out and fly what I already have!
Last edited by propblade; Apr 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: formatting