HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:58 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
I have flown it a few times over the last 2-3 months but right now the winds are killer here in the Midwest, 15-20 knot winds almost every day. I haven't flown anything in about a month!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:03 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
I have flown it a few times over the last 2-3 months but right now the winds are killer here in the Midwest, 15-20 knot winds almost every day. I haven't flown anything in about a month!
get a mini t-28 or twin mosquitoe and fly em in the hangars.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:08 PM
Jamie
alaska
Joined Sep 2006
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
Well hello Old Salt. Actually ala 722 taught me the balance trick and I passed it to my friend sergey who is The smartest guy. most meticulous guy I ever met in RC, and he took my simple directions and took it to an even higher level.
I might be technologically challenged. I don't have a phone capable of balancing my fans. If you wouldn't mind Naval, could you point me to these simple directions because I can't find them. Thank You!!
jamnbec is offline Find More Posts by jamnbec
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:21 PM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnbec View Post
I might be technologically challenged. I don't have a phone capable of balancing my fans. If you wouldn't mind Naval, could you point me to these simple directions because I can't find them. Thank You!!
Look for all psts by ala722 on this thread for them. I dont exactly know where they are
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,348 Posts
Hi guys, long time reader, first time post on this thread.
Have had my first one for I guess around 4-5 years now. Went with the 3800 kv Eflite's, 40 amp esc's, added air retracts, and pretty much left it at that.

She's been a gem, but is showing her age. OK she's had a rough life, as you all know the foam dents just looking at it. And a multiple cartwheel off of a stand, when the wind caught it, didn't help.

So it was time. The original airframe has gone to the scrap yard, and a new one is under construction. Still sticking with the original power plants as they seem to work just fine for me. Went with electric retracts instead of the air units.

Whole bird is in the process of being glassed and CF rods added to the H and V stabs.

I'll post some shots of the finished product.

Anyhow, I think I may have picked up on a cause for the push rod support/ bracket breaking for some. My original was just CA'd in place and never moved, actually I cut them out and installed em in the new fuse. (they don't come with the replacement)

Forget who posted the shot of their broken version but it was pretty obvious to me why it broke, when I saw it. The way Eflite set it up, the servo arm swings in an arc as it operates. This causes the rod to push against the bracket as the servo arm swings past center. If the bracket is installed in the wrong spot, it will worsen the problem.

Looking at the photo below, you can see how far off the center point of the servo arm is, in relation to the slot in the bracket. Every time the servo arm moved it was pushing hard on the bracket as the arm came back to center.

To me setting the bracket just right will go a long way towards correcting this. Also since it sits so close to the servo, possibly moving the bracket rearward would lessen the stress on it. Just a thought.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Well, I did another test with the C/S 70mm 10 blade fan. I am running the Sapac D2842 3200 Kv motor the silver can one. After testing the fan with a fresh off the charger 4s 3300 40C pack I think I will go with a 3s pack for power. The 4s setup is just way to much power. Below is a shot of my laptop with the readings from my Medusa Power Analyzer Pro for one fan. Looks like it would be pushing 3150 watts with both fans at WOT . A bit overkill even in my book for the S/A lol. With a 3s setup it will be in the 1500 to 1600 watts with both fans at WOT. Should be no problem to take off from the grass field at our club and still keep the nice sound at a lot less amp's.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:59 PM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raido56 View Post
Well, I did another test with the C/S 70mm 10 blade fan. I am running the Sapac D2842 3200 Kv motor the silver can one. After testing the fan with a fresh off the charger 4s 3300 40C pack I think I will go with a 3s pack for power. The 4s setup is just way to much power. Below is a shot of my laptop with the readings from my Medusa Power Analyzer Pro for one fan. Looks like it would be pushing 3150 watts with both fans at WOT . A bit overkill even in my book for the S/A lol. With a 3s setup it will be in the 1500 to 1600 watts with both fans at WOT. Should be no problem to take off from the grass field at our club and still keep the nice sound at a lot less amp's.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
smart move. I tried using a 6 bladed fan on 4s and it just got waaay too hot.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Naval, we had calm winds today and a flight in the Airliner would have been fun, but I maidened my Eflite F-86 instead. I need to balance the fans and charge the batts for the rest of the week hoping for more calm days.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:06 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving My Fellow Pilots!
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:33 AM
Dir_D_Redd
United States, GA, Clayton
Joined Jan 2010
328 Posts
Same to ya Pilot!
dirdredd is offline Find More Posts by dirdredd
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:19 PM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Ok, Got the C/S 10 blade fans mounted in the S/A all ready to go. Hope to get her in the air this week. Running 2-Sapac 3200 kV motors, 2-65 amp HiFi ESC's, 5 amp UBEC and 2-40C 3s 2650 Sky Lipo's. Should fly real nice with these fans. I am getting 62 amps, 665 watts per motor at WOT. So I will have about 1330 watts total to take off from my grass field. Here are a few pic's of her. Will repaint her after her maiden flight.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:49 PM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raido56 View Post
Ok, Got the C/S 10 blade fans mounted in the S/A all ready to go. Hope to get her in the air this week. Running 2-Sapac 3200 kV motors, 2-65 amp HiFi ESC's, 5 amp UBEC and 2-40C 3s 2650 Sky Lipo's. Should fly real nice with these fans. I am getting 62 amps, 665 watts per motor at WOT. So I will have about 1330 watts total to take off from my grass field. Here are a few pic's of her. Will repaint her after her maiden flight.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Gosh, all those blades make it look real. What guage batt/esc wire are you using?
Please keep us posred on how she does. I'll ditch my 3 blades in a heartbeat it yours work out. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:33 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
Gosh, all those blades make it look real. What guage batt/esc wire are you using?
Please keep us posred on how she does. I'll ditch my 3 blades in a heartbeat it yours work out. Thanks for sharing.
I have all 12 guage wire from battery's to motors. Hope to get video of flight to post this week.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:15 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,348 Posts
Really nice Herb, can't wait to hear your flight report. Get it on video.

Looking at your specs, unless I missed something, I'm coming up with just a hair over 2 minutes of flight time, using up 80% of the packs capacity???
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Last edited by Glacier Girl; Dec 01, 2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:02 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Really nice Herb, can't wait to hear your flight report. Get it on video.

Looking at your specs, unless I missed something, I'm coming up with just a hair over 2 minutes of flight time, using up 80% of the packs capacity???
Hi GG, Yes at WOT I would only get about 2 1/2 min flying time. I should get about 4 to 4 1/2 min flying time. I have the same motor with a Het 4 blade fan in a T-45 pulling 65 amps from a 40C 2650 pack and get 3 1/2 min flying time. And this is flying the T-45 at WOT about 50% of the flight. The stock S/A only had about 400 watts total and flew just fine. So I will be flying WOT for the take off and then go to 1/2 throttle at about 34 amps at 385 watts per motor and still have about 2 times the power of the original power set up. I have 3 other D/F jets that use a 2650 pack all pulling about 55 to 65 amps and they all get 3 1/2 min flying time or more with the right throttle management. I don't go by calculations that much. I like to go by real flying times it works for me.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb