HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:07 PM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
with a little patience and charm I was able to speak to customer service at Horizon. They ended up sending me the fan assembly. It ought to be here soon. I hope to balance the blades and get it running!! I have always used tape to balance it, however I wonder if there is a better way to balance them, I don't want the tape to come flying off in the air and causing a problem.

Thanks,

Mike
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:46 PM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike93 View Post
with a little patience and charm I was able to speak to customer service at Horizon. They ended up sending me the fan assembly. It ought to be here soon. I hope to balance the blades and get it running!! I have always used tape to balance it, however I wonder if there is a better way to balance them, I don't want the tape to come flying off in the air and causing a problem.

Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike, I used white-out on the inside of my rotors to balance them. You can get it at any office supply store and it's easy to add or take off if need be. Plus it won't come of in flight.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:26 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raido56 View Post
Hi Mike, I used white-out on the inside of my rotors to balance them. You can get it at any office supply store and it's easy to add or take off if need be. Plus it won't come of in flight.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Tape INSIDE the rotor hub works great since the RPM forces it to
stick tighter to the interior of the hub. Very small slivers of silver
duct tape (1/8 wide) works best for me so far. I have tried epoxy
and many other methods. The tape just works. Generally, you do
not need much. The other issue here is that not all motors are
perfectly balanced. They should be, but some of the HK motors
are pretty far off. I typically run the motors alone and check for
balance prior to use. If one is out, you will never get them to sync
no matter how perfect the impellers are.

That is why I always recommend the final tweak of marking the
impellers and the motors. Then rotating the impellers a few degrees
on the shaft and retesting. My impellers wind up with two marks.
One is blue for the starting point and the other is red for the final
"sweet spot".

I avoid the twin Harmonic warble at all casts. Things tend to unscrew
and fall off when you are vibrating the entire airframe at high frequency.

Been there, done that...

A
ala722 is offline Find More Posts by ala722
Old Jun 06, 2010, 12:39 AM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
Here's mine as of tonite:
777ER is offline Find More Posts by 777ER
Old Jun 06, 2010, 05:50 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Very nice! What paint and paint method did you use on the fuse? It looks much better than mine. I like the continental decals too!

Cheers,
Jetnfast
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:45 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
Here's mine as of tonite:
Veeeery nice.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:06 AM
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Very nice! What paint and paint method did you use on the fuse? It looks much better than mine. I like the continental decals too!

Cheers,
Jetnfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
Veeeery nice.
Thanks!

I used Kilz, sanded, kilz again, sanded, Rust Oleum 2X paint, fine sand it and final coat of Rust Oleum 2X paint, white on fuse, blue tail, grey on the wing and horz stab.

The whole plane is composite, 3 layers of layup on the fuse and tail, 4 layers of layup on the wing.

To give you a idea of how strong it is, I can pick up the whole plane with just one hand holding on the horz stab (minus the wing)

As for the wing, I can pick it up from near the wing tip with both powerplants mounted. Pretty strong I tell you.

I didn't like the foam plane but it's a good idea to use it as a core for the composites, worked very well and was easy to work with.

I built it this way due to the possible high speed it may run with the powerplants I have it on it...

As for the powerplants, it's top secret and can't reveal it now until the madien flight.

Hint: it got bigger intakes.

All the flight controls have been lay'ed up with composites and doesn't twist under load.
Even the flight control rods have been replaced with Sulivan Gold-n-rods.

I was on company business for fam course training on the 777 for 3 weeks and while I was there, I did get a copy of the EPS file of the 'Continental' logo that was used to make the outline paint templates for the paint shop.

On my lunch break there, I came by a logo decal cutting shop in a mall and had it done there.
They couldn't do the globe on the tail due to the gold and white colors interlaced and it was in sections.

Gonna try to use a printed photo of one and cut it out, then use a gold marker to draw it out then top it off with a white pen.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
What do you use to beef the nose gear up for grass runways?

Can't find a clear setup...
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:01 PM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!

I used Kilz, sanded, kilz again, sanded, Rust Oleum 2X paint, fine sand it and final coat of Rust Oleum 2X paint, white on fuse, blue tail, grey on the wing and horz stab.

The whole plane is composite, 3 layers of layup on the fuse and tail, 4 layers of layup on the wing.

To give you a idea of how strong it is, I can pick up the whole plane with just one hand holding on the horz stab (minus the wing)

As for the wing, I can pick it up from near the wing tip with both powerplants mounted. Pretty strong I tell you.

I didn't like the foam plane but it's a good idea to use it as a core for the composites, worked very well and was easy to work with.

I built it this way due to the possible high speed it may run with the powerplants I have it on it...

As for the powerplants, it's top secret and can't reveal it now until the madien flight.

Hint: it got bigger intakes.

All the flight controls have been lay'ed up with composites and doesn't twist under load.
Even the flight control rods have been replaced with Sulivan Gold-n-rods.

I was on company business for fam course training on the 777 for 3 weeks and while I was there, I did get a copy of the EPS file of the 'Continental' logo that was used to make the outline paint templates for the paint shop.

On my lunch break there, I came by a logo decal cutting shop in a mall and had it done there.
They couldn't do the globe on the tail due to the gold and white colors interlaced and it was in sections.

Gonna try to use a printed photo of one and cut it out, then use a gold marker to draw it out then top it off with a white pen.

Holy smokes!!! Whats your AUW gonna be?

Even the lightest builds with stock gear dont do so well on grass.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:28 PM
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
Holy smokes!!! Whats your AUW gonna be?

Even the lightest builds with stock gear dont do so well on grass.
That's classified til the plane goes airborne

Forgot to mention I reinforced the powerplant pylons with CF plates cut to match and bolted on there like a sandwich, also did some layup in the wing mounting area for extra support should it need it...wouldn't want my powerplants break free and fly on it's own!...would cause a major CG shift.

Right now I need to do these things before the flight:
  • Test run #2 powerplant
  • mount intake to powerplants
  • make servo extensions
  • mount RX and battery (TX is a Futaba 6XA)
  • test run both powerplants to verify intake performance
  • measure height of MLG struts needed for ground clearance to the intakes and order them from robart
  • taxi test
  • balance the plane
  • radio range check
  • wait for a good day at the field

I plan on using bigger wheels for grass field operations, about 2.5 to 3" single wheels per strut.

How do you support the NLG for grass flying?
Last edited by 777ER; Jun 06, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:04 PM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,376 Posts
777ER - job well done sir. I am hoping you surprise us and show the video with it running on turbine power

good luck
DiabloKid is online now Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:07 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Sounds good, thanks for the insight on the finishing process.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 09:49 PM
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
Quote:

Right now I need to do these things before the flight:
  • Test run #2 powerplant
  • mount intake to powerplants
  • make servo extensions
  • mount RX and battery (TX is a Futaba 6XA)
  • test run both powerplants to verify intake performance
  • measure height of MLG struts needed for ground clearance to the intakes and order them from robart
  • taxi test
  • balance the plane
  • radio range check
  • wait for a good day at the field
Done today:
  • Powerplant #2 tested, sucessful run (measured lbs of thrust)
  • Powerplant #2 mounted on wing, connections made
  • both powerplants aligned, toe'ed in by 2 degrees towards the centerline of the aircraft, just like the real 777 engine is aligned.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:10 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Crazy! I just found a local hobby shop in a nearby town in Japan close to where I am stationed and they have an SF Airliner kit! That's the one that the e-flite version is modelled after. I like the default Delta scheme on that much better than the E-flite version. It doesnt matter at this point since mine E-flite 777 is now repainted in the new Delta colors thanks to help from NW, but I was surprised to find it.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:41 AM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Crazy! I just found a local hobby shop in a nearby town in Japan close to where I am stationed and they have an SF Airliner kit! That's the one that the e-flite version is modelled after. I like the default Delta scheme on that much better than the E-flite version. It doesnt matter at this point since mine E-flite 777 is now repainted in the new Delta colors thanks to help from NW, but I was surprised to find it.
Out of curiosity, how much do they want for it?.
I finished my horizontal and vertical stab last night. I also had to break down and use the H2O primer on the fuse, cuz I needed it to fill in all the dimples made when installing the gear. Between my fingers and other pointy what nots, my fuse was lookin like a driving range golf ball.