3,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_E
Only in Europe....

Hobbydirekt (germany)
Hungary
Denmark

Ben_E

well my aunt in Germany tried several times to order this model, but they keep giving her the run-around. It sounds like they may be out of stock, permanently.

Any other place in europe you can order this model??
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Last edited by dogon1013; Feb 25, 2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:32 AM
GRUMMAN
Ft. Lauderdale Florida
Joined Jun 2005
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller
Heres some pics for size comparisons...
Couldn't find my wattage fan to include in the pics..sorry
Hello Mr. Miller!!! Thanks for putting in the picture of the fan systems, it was good for me to see the 3 different models together at one time. I am in the middle od deciding rather to buy the E-Flite or The Ming 777 Airliner. I know the E-Flite is almost set to go and the Ming Special would be a lot more work but hey that's what we do. Can you tell me if you have flown the airliner yet and what did you find out as far as power goes. I think you said you went with 4 engines correct. OK when you get a chance let me know....
Happy Flaying!!!
Mojo
Grumman is offline Find More Posts by Grumman
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:56 AM
GRUMMAN
Ft. Lauderdale Florida
Joined Jun 2005
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2TINKR
Guys,

Thanks for all the good words, I'm motivated now to get to the finish line. The mains are operated with a low profile retract servo made (or sold) by Blue Bird which seem to be the same as Waypoint servo's with different labels on them. It weighs 34 grams and has 85 in.oz. of torque. I got it from BPHobbies in NJ. It will be mounted in the center of the wing and operate the 2 push rods to the mains. I will post the pic's when it's all done. I'm using a 2 amp BEC to power all my electronics. I drooled over those EJF retracts a little too long and they were all gone but I'll be picking up a set when they come back around for one of my projects sitting in the que: The HET F-4 !!

Tim, I moved the gear forward to make it clear of the aft wing mounting plate. If you look at the retracted main pic, you can see that the wheel well just grazes the screw mounting hole and I trimmed off a corner of the plywood plate that was exposed. But I was also concerned that the nose retract was a little fragile and was interested in reducing the load on the gear. The closer the mains are to the CG, the lower is the weight that is borne by the nose gear. For some reason, the mains on this plane are about a good 3 to 4 inches behind the CG which would generally mak it difficult to rotate for take off and increase the weight on the nose gear.

LK2TINKER
Nice work my friend, where did the rest of this thread go it was just getting good about the gear and it ended. I would love to hear how it all worked out. Let me know where to look if you have more on your BIG BIRD...
Thank You,
Happy Flying,
Mojo
Grumman is offline Find More Posts by Grumman
Old Feb 28, 2007, 07:25 AM
Long Island, New York
Joined Apr 2006
374 Posts
Hello Mojo,

Thank you for the compliments. I have'nt been down in my shop lately as a result of my work schedule and a lot of travelling. I hope to finish the Airliner in the next couple of week-ends and post some progress reports here. Too many projects and not enough time

LK2TINKR
LK2TINKR is offline Find More Posts by LK2TINKR
Old Feb 28, 2007, 08:36 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Where do you fly in LI LK2TNKR ? Are you a member of SEFLI ?

Im considering a Eflight Airliner myself.

Id like to see some of the other projects that youve posted.

Spar

Fellow Long Islander
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Mar 01, 2007, 06:07 AM
Long Island, New York
Joined Apr 2006
374 Posts
Hey Spar,

We're a small club that flys in one of the parking lots in Stony Brook University. We fly on Saturdays from about 9:00 am to about 2:00 or 3:00 pm weather and soccer mom's permitting... Mostly glow guys but a few electric ones as well. Send me a PM and I'll give you directions, etc. More than glad to have a visit from a fello E-Zoner

LK2TINKR
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:19 AM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
How do you suppose one of these planes would carry some extra weight?
bob loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob loblaw
Old Mar 05, 2007, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2004
74 Posts
Come on LK2--the Finish Line is near!!

Let's go LK2! Hey man, forget about that work schedule; everyone knows that your hobby is more important, LOL.

I don't know if you have snow or live in warm weather, but I am sure interested in how your retract project finishes up. Let us know when you fly it.

Thanks, Tim
3drc tim is offline Find More Posts by 3drc tim
Old Mar 12, 2007, 05:16 PM
Long Island, New York
Joined Apr 2006
374 Posts
Tim,

I wish I could toss my schedule but alas reality sucks I did manage to finish all the retract work on the airliner and I'm in the last stages of final assembly. The usual gremlins have caused one of my ESC's to let out the magic smoke but I have a spare which will go in in the next couple of nights.

I do have a question for all the Airliner pilots out there; has anyone fitted a thrust tube to their set ups? The provided nacelles do not seem to neck down much at all. If 90% of FSA was the goal, the diameter should be close to 52 mm and the stock pieces are more like 62 mm at the exit? I'm making a pair of thrust tubes to try once the initial airworthiness testing is done...

LK2TINKR
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2004
74 Posts
Thrust Tubes

LK2,

I haven't considered thrust tubes; not a bad idea. I made thrust tubes for my big SU 35 out of styrofoam cups and they worked out perfectly, more power with only necking down the output diameter.

There must be some experts out there, like BRUFF, that can advise us on this. Has anyone tried this?

I have to say however, that I seem to have plenty of power with the six series Eflite motors and one 3S 3200 20C lipo for each motor. I posted pix of mine somewhere back on this thread.

At any rate, keep us advised of your progress. I, for one, fully intend to follow your example on the retracts. Maybe I will need the extra thrust after installing the gear.

Tim
3drc tim is offline Find More Posts by 3drc tim
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,149 Posts
I'm concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raido56
Well 1st flight was a few days ago with these motors and 30amp esc's. Plane came out at 3.6 lbs RTF a bit more than the stock set up but I added lights and clear tape to LE of wings and carbon spars to bottom of tail. Flew great no trim needed. Motors are putting out 235 watts each at 19.6 amps running 2 3s-2000 milehighrc flight packs and hand launching it.
Im using th same motors: http://www.happitoy.com/book.php?bookid=1681 (KV: 3600) and my airliner is nearly ready to go, and while just doing the last preps I found out something that concernes me:

The motors are only pulling 12,3 Amps om WOT (at 11,2 volts) each. They should pul at least over 20A. My 30Amp Esc is set up fo 32Mhz, no brake and 3 cells. I haven't measured static thrust but my feeling is that something is wrong, and not giving me enough power. For power I use 2 pacs (in parallel) of the hyperion 20C rated 2200mAh (3) cells.

I't will have to stay on the ground until I find a good reason for my low measurements. I doubt it will fly on only 275W

Anyone with a good explenation? or suggestions?

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Last edited by Ben_E; Mar 13, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:17 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined May 2006
34 Posts
777 retracts

well I GIVE UP...... DAM IT

I will let someone else post a vid of retracts
jetace11 is offline Find More Posts by jetace11
Last edited by jetace11; Mar 13, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
Long Island, New York
Joined Apr 2006
374 Posts
BEN_E,

If both motors are doing the same exact thing and the batteries are fresh then I would suspect that the motors are not 3600 kv. The only other possibility may be incompatibility between the motors and the ESC's. If you have a different ESC that you can try, it may be worth a test to rule out the ESC's. All things considered, I would suspect a low kv motor...

LK2TINKR
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:44 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2TINKR
BEN_E,

If both motors are doing the same exact thing and the batteries are fresh then I would suspect that the motors are not 3600 kv. The only other possibility may be incompatibility between the motors and the ESC's. If you have a different ESC that you can try, it may be worth a test to rule out the ESC's. All things considered, I would suspect a low kv motor...

LK2TINKR
Well I didnīt think of that...

If I paint a prop on a transparent cd disk and measure the rpm and then divide it by the measured voltage of the battery I should end up with an estimate of the Kv on the motor... right?

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Last edited by Ben_E; Mar 14, 2007 at 06:40 AM.