Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:04 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Discussion
Looking for advice on which plane to get

Hi,

I'm interested in a 2+ EDF model, for an airplane beginner (heli flier). The only stipulation is - I don't want a handlaunch plane, I want something that can take off under it's own power. I've looked through towerhobbies but all of the EDF planes they list are hand launched. I don't understand this fascination. :P

Anyways, I was thinking the A-10 would be great, but it seems like the only ones that exist are for expert builders, and they are generally huge planes. Either that, or you get the little handlaunched jobbies.

If you could suggest a good place to look (website), or maybe some particular models to look at, I'm open to just about any plane. I'd just like dual (or more) engine, with the ability to take off/land under its' own power.

Thanks!
David
ormandj is offline Find More Posts by ormandj
Last edited by ormandj; Jun 19, 2006 at 02:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:22 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,722 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496544
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:21 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Cool plane, I forgot to mention I was looking for something military.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:30 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
Most edf's are hand launched because wheels are weight and weight is flying time / flying quality. Wt is everything on any plane. glo,gas,turbine or electric. The GWS A-10 is a good flying edf that will rog, with a few mods, mine is about 3 years old and still looks and flies great.

Happy Flying
Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:34 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot
Most edf's are hand launched because wheels are weight and weight is flying time / flying quality. Wt is everything on any plane. glo,gas,turbine or electric. The GWS A-10 is a good flying edf that will rog, with a few mods, mine is about 3 years old and still looks and flies great.

Happy Flying
Tom
Hm, I'll look into that one. Maybe I can get some retracts fitted in there. What's "ROG" stand for btw? It has something to do with taking off on it's own, right?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
Yea Rise Off Ground, and the GWS a-10 is not realy made for retracts, the gear is fixed and don't look to bad in the air. If your new to edf leave the gear on untill you get used to the flying habits then remove them and get better scale look in the air, just remember to land on grass, ashphalt eats styro. Check out the A-10 threads around here for great mods( better power options and rx upgrades ). My a-10 has two Wattage power fans in homemade nacelles. flies great on brushed motors.

Tom
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:08 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Yea Rise Off Ground, and the GWS a-10 is not realy made for retracts, the gear is fixed and don't look to bad in the air. If your new to edf leave the gear on untill you get used to the flying habits then remove them and get better scale look in the air, just remember to land on grass, ashphalt eats styro. Check out the A-10 threads around here for great mods( better power options and rx upgrades ). My a-10 has two Wattage power fans in homemade nacelles. flies great on brushed motors.

Tom
Thing is, I don't want to remove the gear. I don't want a hand-launched plane as stated originally. Is there a dual engine military EDF plane with capabilities to run retracts - that isn't designed for super-advanced builders? I'm pretty stuck on having working gear, and the ability to "ROG". I fly at a grass field, so that (asphalt) is no problem.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:22 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Is there a dual engine military EDF plane with capabilities to run retracts - that isn't designed for super-advanced builders? I'm pretty stuck on having working gear, and the ability to "ROG". I fly at a grass field, so that (asphalt) is no problem.
Hi David,
Let me make sure I got this straight.
You want ROG
You want a twin
You want grass field capable
You want something NOT designed for super-advanced builders

That's a tall order. Most of the retract equiped planes you'll find are smaller sized planes flying from paved runways. The dual EDF retracted equiped planes capable of grass field operation tend to be pretty good sized. Take a look at Chris True's Hawk as an example of the size of plane we're talking about althought it is a single.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:32 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond
Hi David,
Let me make sure I got this straight.
You want ROG
You want a twin
You want grass field capable
You want something NOT designed for super-advanced builders

That's a tall order. Most of the retract equiped planes you'll find are smaller sized planes flying from paved runways. The dual EDF retracted equiped planes capable of grass field operation tend to be pretty good sized. Take a look at Chris True's Hawk as an example of the size of plane we're talking about althought it is a single.

Dan Eaton
Yeah, I knew I would be pushing the limits of availability! I figured it was worth a shot though, and better to start expecting too much than expecting too little. The GWS A-10 EDF with the wheel mods looks like it might be a good compromise. No retracts, but not silly looking wire wheels either.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2002
1,034 Posts
Warbirds-RC is getting the HET F-4 Phantom II ARF in about 3 or 4 weeks. It'll be just about everything you're looking for. Grass field may be pushing it, depending on how short the grass is cut, but it's a twin and should be large enough for retracts.

Rob
NCC-1701 is offline Find More Posts by NCC-1701
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:43 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
I think the part about " that isn't designed for super- advanced builders" is going to be the killer on this one guys.

Tom
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:55 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Here's a list of some ROG EDF models.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501453
Hey, if you deciede to build one you will become an expert builder pretty quick!
You can add retracts to many airplanes it is just tricky. Here's my Aircadkits.com airliner. I added retracts to it. It was not to hard just took some time to think it through and a couple sessions with a dremal tool. The dremal tool was used to build with and also to tear everything out a couple times till I got it right! Now it is pretty nice and has so far flown one time! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500027
Scott

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501453

Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Jun 19, 2006, 07:43 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
I think the part about " that isn't designed for super- advanced builders" is going to be the killer on this one guys.

Tom
I'm pretty good at working with my hands, and I have just about all the tools you can think of (from dremel to table saws, bandsaws, benders, presses, planers, etc...) I've just never built a plane before. So, while not experienced in plane-building, definately mechanically minded, and proficient with handiwork. I just wouldn't be able to cope with a kit which came with a bunch of parts and no instruction manual, as I have no clue as to how to construct and airplane yet! I do have fairly decent knowledge of planes, physics, etc. So not a complete newbie, just not capable of building something out of nothing (yet!) I need a little direction.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:34 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Check out JetHangar.com and their F-14, or http://savagelight.com/su-27.htm and their SU-27. Their instruction manuals are about as complete as they get if you want to jump into an EDF model straight away.

But how about something simple like a Senior Telemaster kit from Hobby Lobby for a starter building project. Or one of the prop plane kits availible from Great Planes or similar company.

Or if you like interesting try: http://www.littlebirdz.com and their Predator drone kit. The instruction book leaves very very little to nothing to the imagination and the finished product WILL get attention.

Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:37 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
David,

I've flown out of the Kauinui swamp, and unless you are flying a big plane with large sized tires, rogs are going to be very hard from that grass.

And as mentioned in your pm, I would still suggest starting off with a prop plane since you haven't flown a plane before.
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn