SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:05 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Sorry to hear this Terry. I lost My Mother to lung Cancer Dec.29 2004 This is a horrible disease. I dont feel there putting enough money into researching this. What really hurts is to see her fight so hard but watch the doctors just make mistake after mistake. Here's one of them. After it spread to her brain we had no choice but to have the tumor removed she was of balance but getting better every day.the doctor said she made it through this with flying colors. But when she was put on a cemo pill they never gave her the second part to keep it from giving here a bad reaction so she swelled up like a balloon. and had to go back in the hospital. we begged the nurses to keep the bed rails up because we did not want her trying to get up without help. well they didnt. She hit the nurses button one night when nobody could be there to go to the bathroom and after waiting 30 minutes she decided to go on her own I had positioned a porta potty where she could easly get on it her self but the ignorant nurses moved it after we left and she fell and broke her leg. I was furious with the nurse that was on staff that night. And asked what the bed rails were doing down. She told me that hospital policy would not let them leave them up because it was restraining the patient. And that if we would have got a order from our family doctor they could leave them up. But why did they not tell ups this when we first asked them to leave them up. So I got an order from the doctor to keep them up. they were up the next time I came in . But the following day they were down again. So I went to the nurses station and asked what they were doing down and the nurse told me that I have to get a doctors order every single day and this was never told to me. And this is supose to be one of the better hospitals. thats just the tip of the ice burg. I wish I could have stayed with her every minute of every day but my father had just got out of the hospital too. He was very ill also and had been in the hospital for 4 months prior to her being diagonosed with cancer. Well enough said I just hate the word cancer. Im sorry I started babling about this stay strong and dont ever give up I will say a prayer for you tonight. Keep the faith. Dave
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:30 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Terry,

My best wishes in your fight with cancer. One way or the other we will all have these obstacles to overcome. Keep the faith. The Vulcan is brilliant, you have done a wonderful job.

Cheers,

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:19 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
I am enjoying this build so much. I have been lurking and wondering how I would ever build a beast like this. Keep up the great work and my best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

Jack
Action Jack is offline Find More Posts by Action Jack
Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:25 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,850 Posts
your stage by stage progress photos are very helpfull, i really want to give this a shot myself, now to hunt out some plans!

Terry, all the power to you for your recovery!!

Alex
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:28 AM
Bristol, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2001
1,338 Posts
Many thanks for your kind thoughts gentlemen & sorry to hear about your mum Dave.We moan about OUR National Health Service here so its not all roses in other countries.

A bit of filler arround the jetpipes, made a cooler for the Red Steer Radar.Added some Litho plate metal Jet Pipes.
I used a wash of watered down filler brushed on to the laminated Depron to get a better finish.
Also added upper surface bulges for the jets.
pontious is offline Find More Posts by pontious
Old Jun 23, 2006, 07:21 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Did they have rear guns on the Vulcan?

When I was a kid, back in the early 70's we had an AirShow at Mitchell field in Milwaukee. I got to walk under a Vulcan that was flown in for the show At the time that was the largest jet I had ever seen.

Any Thoughts of putting retracts on her?

Tom - Milwaukee
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:08 AM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
Gordon & all,

For hinging depron, micropore is good, but 3M Blenderm is probably even better. It is usually not stocked at chemists in UK (I never found it on the shelves in Boots, etc), but they can order it for you very easily (took 2 days last time), or you order it from the web.
StefV is offline Find More Posts by StefV
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:38 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,338 Posts
Tom,
No they didn`t have any guns as originally (In White) it could fly higher than existing fighters or missiles. This changed after the Gary Powers U2 incident & Vulcans went to low level & camoflage. The bulge at the back was tailwarning radar with a cooling scoop & a blister on top for parachute brake.
It would easilly take lightweight retracts but I dont know how it would affect handlaunch which I want to retain as I mainly fly from a grass patch & as I found with my pusher Vulcan it would not takeoff from grass with its small multi bogy scale wheels.O.K. if non scale larger single ones fitted.
Tom, I was privileged to stand at the side of the runway at R.A.F.Conningsby where I was stationed in 1963 to see the delivery of the first B2 for 9 Sqn.The Delivery pilot gave an awesome display before he landed.It was also impressive when up to 12 would stream land in the dark with their lights on. Bit of a coincidence that my surname is Mitchell.

STEFV is right, I have read that Blenderm is the Bees.
Last edited by pontious; Jun 23, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 01:56 PM
Joined Jan 2001
1,338 Posts
Finished sheeting the underside, just leaving two centre bays,the forward one to make a flight pack bay & the rear to fit a removeable hatch to access the E.S.C. & receiver & insert/ remove the flight pack.
I strengthened & carved finger holes for launching on the C.G.just behind the hatch.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:05 PM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
sent this twice, I've no idea how!
paulbw is offline Find More Posts by paulbw
Last edited by paulbw; Jun 23, 2006 at 04:14 PM. Reason: sent this twice I've no idea how!
Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:07 PM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
I have also been watching your Vulcan build with great enjoyment: a really great model of a great aircraft. I look forward to each new posting on the thread - from just up the road in Gloucestershire! Ah, the wonders of the internet! Our club is seeing a lot of electrical activity at the moment. Many ARFs but also some home designs - in Depron and plastic as well as balsa. There is a real interest in the possibilities opened up by the combination of brushless/Lipo/EDF/Depron model designs. Your results are truly impressive - I have stood rooted to the spot whilst experiencing a low pass from one of these aircraft - and felt the earth tremble! Best wishes for your recovery;
Paul.
paulbw is offline Find More Posts by paulbw
Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2001
1,338 Posts
Thankyou Paul,where do you fly,I fly at Charmy Down near Bath or at Colerne.

Time to compare the new & its replacement, Just as well I do have a new one as the old pusher met its end two weeks ago.Here is a link to the Video of its passing.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532812

The New one is half the weight of the old one.
Last edited by pontious; Jun 23, 2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 07:33 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,338 Posts
Finishing off, replicated 101 Sqn based at R.A.F.Finningly.
Worried about the weight so left the surface exept the underside of the fuselage which I gave a coat of water based varnish to protect on belly landings.On a test piece watered down PVA made the marker pen lines run.
In hindsight it would take the weight of camouflage & protective varnish all over.
Last edited by pontious; Jun 24, 2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:04 AM
San Pedro
Joined Jan 2004
767 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am building a rafale but have also done a couple depron jets and have been watching this thread with excitement as well. I just saw the video. What happened it looked fine and then just fell. I can't wait to see the new one. What do you think the speed range will be.
dman1 is offline Find More Posts by dman1
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,338 Posts
It was just as if someone reached over my shoulder & pushed the stick forward.If you frieze the video in the dive I think I can see the left elevon full down.The equipment checked out OK after & I am pretty sure it wasn`t a stall as I had power on & the nose down lining up for a landing.
The new one will fly at jogging pace but I havn`t wound it up for a fast pass yet.Maybe at Lords Hill tomorrow.

Just had a thought If I wanted a camouflage finish I would build in Grey Depron & Then only the green parts would have to be sprayed.
Last edited by pontious; Jun 24, 2006 at 09:26 AM.