HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:51 AM
Bristol, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2001
1,324 Posts
Laminate nose then started on Red Steer tailcone.Laminate cockpit & observation bulge.Red Steer was made hollow.Nose still temp. fitted.
pontious is offline Find More Posts by pontious
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:56 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
Hi Terry,

Fantastic use of Depron (and your skill of course) to create a large volume airframe, very impressive indeed, way

I guess from the pictures Terry it is all 6mm material, have you found a method of generating compound curves with it. I think I read somewhere that you can mould it to some extent in hot water, but I,ve never tried it.

Great work Terry

cheers
Ron
Ron Laden is offline Find More Posts by Ron Laden
Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:50 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,324 Posts
Hi Ron,
I havn`t had much success with compound curves, I have tried warming with water & Hot air but found this not required for normal single bends. The brown parcel tape stops the outer skin cracking & the inner wall concertinas up.I use thick skin to allow some sanding to obtain a reasonable compound look.
Nose now fixed & some lightweight filler & sanding.Thank God the original Vulcan was white.
Last edited by pontious; Jun 21, 2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:21 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Hi Terry

I've studied the video several times and didn't see the wings flex once despite what was clearly a strong gusty wind. Not that I really expected you to have produced a floppy model, but does depron make things pretty rigid?

I guess that you can't stand on the wings and have them survive, but here's what I'm leading up to. At present you're using 3s and 40A, say 420W. I'm wondering if, say, a 60" span Javelin, all depron like your Vulcan, but with, say, 9s and 50A (1575W) would be feasible. Or would that amount of poke simply cause flexing and ultimate failure? Could a spot of epoxy with judicially applied carbon cloth and carbon tows stiffen it enough?

Last question (for now ) Where do you get depron in big enough sheets to make a 6ft span Vulcan

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:37 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,324 Posts
Hi Gordon,
Flexing would not be any problem if it was one piece as it is remarkably strong having a 5mm monocoque skin.I had to make the wings detatchable for transportation & was very worried about making the joints strong enough without adding weight.I will cover this shortly.
A Javalin would be great as at the same size & weight the loading would be similar.Only two motors/ fans instead of four would allow for a motor upgrade with four cells if staying with microfans for the scale exhausts or two minifans with megas on four cells.Beefing up/power increase depends on retaining hand launch.
I get my sheets of depron from an insulation supplier at 32"x51" & as no one surface is bigger than that no probs.I think I used six sheets.
You have started me thinking!!!!!!
Started making upper wing skin & ribs /spar trying to retain scale drooped leading edge.Note cardboard plans tube for rolling.Sticky tape extends over the lead ege to grip the tube.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:57 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
He has started me thinking as well Terry and I do have a reasonable stock of Depron

Ron
Ron Laden is offline Find More Posts by Ron Laden
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:30 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,792 Posts
Terry, great construction! light and strong, i gotta try that..!

Gordon, check out this pic
http://www.btinternet.com/~javelin/p...d_1024x768.htm
like2fly! is online now Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,324 Posts
Hi Ron,
Yes a thick wing delta lends itself to this technique,strength & low wing loading.
Add depron edge strips for control surfaces .mark edges for later cutting out.
Dont worry about lead edge fit of skin they will be formed by vertical laminations. Trial fit to fuselage.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:11 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontious
You have started me thinking!!!!!!
Hey Terry, gerroff me Javelin!!

And I hope you're only thinkin' EFA Typhoon Ron!

L2F - That's always been a really lovely pic. Mick Reeves is gradually adding them all to his range of kits www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk. All except the Hurri and Meteor are there already, and the even Hurri is under development, leaving only the Meteor for Mick to get started on.

Terry (again) you've definitely got me thinking ! Looks a great way for me to get out of a deep rut.

Looking forward to the wing assembly and attachment detail.

Cheers

Gordon
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:15 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
BTW, I stumbled on this depron supplier today:

http://www.depronfoam.co.uk/16226.html

They have carbon, plus some interesting accessories like control horns with spigots for glueing into depron.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:25 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
No CF rods in the wings?
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2001
1,324 Posts
After much agonising, I determined to have a removeable carbon fibre tube in the body just clearing the top of the thrust tubes plugging into aluminium tubes at the highest load point in the wings with a locating peg at the front.
Now how to allign properly. No lower skinning at this point is a must.
With each wing at a time temp in place, I used the sharpened rod already in the fuz to bore a hole through the wing ribs. then remove the wing & place the rod in the newly bored wing rib holes & feed the aluminium tube using the rod as a guide to make its larger hole in the ribs.Glue the Ally tube in adding doublers.
Last edited by pontious; Jun 21, 2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2001
1,324 Posts
After boring holes in the ribs for the elevon servo extension leads form & add the lower skins. Add laminations & sand for round lead edges.

At this point I weighed the total airframe -2Lb

Note I kept all the lightening pieces I removed using an apple corer & it came to nearly 1/2 Lb
Old Jun 22, 2006, 04:47 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,324 Posts
Beginning to look like a Vulcan now.Pleased that I achieved the drooped lead edge & the wings on true.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:03 AM
Joined Jan 2001
1,324 Posts
Cut out the elevons & hinge with Micropore tape top & bottom of the V. Make thin ply horns fit wire linkages with Z adjusters.Adjust to get same movement of both elevons as for scale.Lots of up & little down.Fit servos & extension leads (I used G.W.S.18g Parkfly from B.R.C.Models.) I later fitted a strake to protect the servos & horns during belly landings.
Last edited by pontious; Jun 22, 2006 at 05:50 AM.