HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:00 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quick update.

Port wing now has both elevon servos installed, adjusted and synchronised. Next week it will be planked over ready to be sanded and sealed!

Then I'll have to start on the starboard wing...

Also, the nose has been balsa filled, and is now taking on a nice smooth shape. I'm still pondering how to connect up the rudder. The servo will sit in the ECM pod... So that should make life easier, but I hope to keep the linkage internal
bloodline is offline Find More Posts by bloodline
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:58 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Some photos of the port wing.

Now the skin is starting to go on, the model really does look like a Vulcan
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
So nearly finished with the build... then all the finishing up to do, never have I seen a model use so much filler... this plane is nothing but curves!

I did a full electrical test with two 5000mAh (15C), servos and lights all fine... took the EDFs to 70% and the whole bloody thing jumped off the stands.... Quite pleased and a bit shocked at just how much power EDFs have! Luckily the girl friend caught it before it crashed into the floor. I can't wait to try 100%, will need ear plugs though...

Went up to see the Vulcan XL426 at southend the other day the guys there are brilliant at let me go all other their Vulcan to get some decent measurements etc... my next Vulcan model will be much better!

Here are some more pictures in case you want to see
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
she sure looks purdy. what an amazing piece of artwork a Vulcan really is. whether model or full size, you just can't help but love it. those that don't need to be shot on sight. LOL.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:03 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
she sure looks purdy. what an amazing piece of artwork a Vulcan really is. whether model or full size, you just can't help but love it. those that don't need to be shot on sight. LOL.

Rich

I have to agree with you Rich! The Avro Type 698 Vulcan Mk2 (to give it its full title) is a very elegant looking beast!

In fact I only managed to convince my Girl Friend to let me turn the living room into a Model vulcan workshop because she saw the real one flying last last year and decided that it was a thing of beauty!

We have tried to stay as close to the real thing as possible, I'm a little disappointed about my air intakes and jet pipes with are all quite different to the real thing... but the wings are as close as possible... even managed to get the correct leading edge droop! See photo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
say what you like about your own work, cause we all hate parts of it, but I think I can speak for others by saying you've captured the outlines very nicely. I'll be happy if mine turns out half as nice as this one. of course, mine will be slightly bigger for four 70mm fans. man, I hope I can figure out a way to make the landing gear work as scale as possible, by tucking up before they stow. LOL.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:56 PM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
say what you like about your own work, cause we all hate parts of it, but I think I can speak for others by saying you've captured the outlines very nicely. I'll be happy if mine turns out half as nice as this one. of course, mine will be slightly bigger for four 70mm fans. man, I hope I can figure out a way to make the landing gear work as scale as possible, by tucking up before they stow. LOL.
Four 70mm!!!! Your one is going to be a monster! I can't wait to see your build!!!
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:30 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Wow, a vulcan in your front room and an understanding girlfriend, what more could you ask for. looks great love the vulc.
Hey Rich, 4 70mm vulcan sounds amazing.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
That is one good looking model you're creating. I bought the South Herts Model plan a few years ago now with the idea of turning it into an EDF as well. Have since come across Graham Dorschell's EDF Vulcan for 4 x 70mm EDFs which will be the next new project to start on..

Looking forward to see more pictures of your build!

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:47 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
May I ask where you can find that plan for the quad 70mm Vulcan? I remember the name being used in the past. Gonna google it right now.

Rich
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:54 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
May I ask where you can find that plan for the quad 70mm Vulcan? I remember the name being used in the past. Gonna google it right now.

Rich
For the EDF plan you will need to contact Graham Dorschell directly. Traplet sells the pusher plan together with the short kit. http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=2840. The short kit can be used for the EDF version. I've got his email address at home so I'll drop your a PM with it tonight.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:04 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Thanks Thomas. It's greatly appreciated.

Rich
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:20 PM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thnilsen View Post
For the EDF plan you will need to contact Graham Dorschell directly. Traplet sells the pusher plan together with the short kit. http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=2840. The short kit can be used for the EDF version. I've got his email address at home so I'll drop your a PM with it tonight.

- Thomas
Hi guys, I personally think the South Herts plans are more accurate than the Dorschell ones... but you will need to make more modifications to the South herts model to fit EDFs... also I struggled to fit 55mm fans... so perhaps the Dorschell model is better

Also here is the latest picture of my one...
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:38 PM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Weighed the wings and fuselage to get an idea of how this is coming along.

One wing 576g the other 580g, that's not bad and surprisingly close!
The Fuselage is 2,173g
The batteries (two 5000mAh Lipo) weigh 708g (~355g each).

This means my all up weight will be just over 4kg!!!! I'm really pleased with that
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I would be too. She's gonna fly beautifully.

Rich