HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:42 PM
Lake Mary, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1 Posts
Discussion
Ziroli Mini F-15 twin EDF

There have been a few of these kits sold on Ebay over the last few months and I just got one. I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive and was wondering if anybody has built one of these jets? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bucshot1000 is offline Find More Posts by Bucshot1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:31 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,418 Posts
I built one in the early "90's" for the RK-720 fan and K&B 3.5cc. I forget the name of the guy who cut pats for Ziroli, back then. But the best flyer of them all was the SAAB Viggen. I built the Phantom also. The Viggen had the RK-740 and 7.5 K&B.
The kits take plenty of building knowlege. Scratch building experience is definetly needed. For EDF use, lightening of the structures is needed. Many bulkheads are ply. These will need to be done in balsa. Preferably using cross-grained balsa to equal the 1/8" ply. (2 lams of 1/16") Set a piece of .5 oz cloth between the laminations. Use of epoxy finishing resin for laminating, wax paper on either side and weight down. Light and strong.

Solid taile surfaces could be built up an sheeted with 1/32. I used a conventional stab/elevaton with ailerons. As you can tell, I gave this conversion to EDF much thought. The F-15 is a project. The Viggen, was a piece o' cake.(single scale motor) Twin EDFs pose their problems, at this scale. You may consider a single Midi-fan, for simplicity. Remember, you best performance enhancement, with EDF's, is light wt. Twin fans are heavier. Unless you can build it light enough to use two micro fans Vs minifans.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin