SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:36 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Build Log
Porco Rosso's Savoia S21

Staus: Bottom skinned, moving on to the top.
------------------------------------------------------

I have drawn 2 hull design for this flying boat.

Which one shall I use?

Material: Bluecor FFF
Wing span: 48
Wing area: ~ 350 sq.in
Weight: 20 - 25 oz wild guess

My 2 other previous threads. Since this is my first scratch build. I am all over the places:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483904 (closed)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...06#post5632465 (Closed)
rkhoo is offline Find More Posts by rkhoo
Last edited by rkhoo; Jun 27, 2006 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Bottom hull almost done.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2006, 03:44 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
I am leaning towards Clark-Y airfoil. Any suggestion?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:18 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
More drawings done on Corel

Formers and wing drawn.

Wing span to be 48", Wing area about 350 sq.in

Wing Sweep 5 degrees. No Dihidral (sp?)

Motor at +7 degrees
Main wing at +2
Elev at -3

Is this too much?

Deciding on using left/right formers or top/bottom formers. Any suggestions?

Is the design looks right?
Last edited by rkhoo; Jun 21, 2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:28 AM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Got the Fuse and Former template printed.

I tried to iron the laser printed paper onto FanFold with some Success. However, if I am not careful, I will wrap the foam. How did everyone transfer the plan to the foam?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:04 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
I like this one there is a link in the Free plans and links thread I set up to a early SM biplane flyingboat with a similar hull form you might want to look at as its a similar size and configuration http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&pp=15.....my gut reaction is to the wider hull section as to being the most likely.

As to the angle of attack on the motor pod/thrust line you might want to consider making that adjustable till you can experiment with it....the variations can be quite extreme..its an area of classic comprimise on the real things with a fixed geometry wing /motor set up.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=448080&pp=15
Hansa Brandenberg http://www.masali.com/Inside/Models/...burg/index.htm
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jun 21, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:59 AM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Thansk for the link. Spark's step is very similar to mine. Boy, his plane is really beautiful.

The most challenging part would be the wing mount and motor mount. They are consists of 4 struts. How do you mount structs on foam? Ply? Sockets? May be I need to simpified the design. Choices, choices.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:31 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
We need Vyceroy here or someone with more foam experience .....struts would best be carbon if you can run to the expense......they are mercifully short.....small very thin thin light ply reinforcement spreaders fixed to the Foam..or small pieces of balsa might do the trick.

Your internal structure will determine how and where...... Vyceroy is/was working on a Sikorsky so he will have thought about this a lot.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=sikorsky ah yes high-tech ...bamboo BBQ sticks for struts. ..natures carbon fiber micro filament bundles
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jun 21, 2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:44 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,301 Posts
Good thinking so far, stick with Clark Y, well sunk-in ply plates(or PC board f/glass material ) for strut hard points. Dont know about -3* on tail, dont forget where the angle on the "flat bottom" Clark Y is . Not the flat but from the front radius of the L.E. Looks like a great fantasy scale theme, who is going to do the "Skull Pirates" `plane ? For those not familiar with Porco here is a Fan site with illustrations and synopsis of the film www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/porco/synopsis/ Nice V-tail pod and boom modern design amphibian with flaps H.P. slots, retractable wheels etc at the end.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:26 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Fio

arrow5, the plane you;'ve mentioned is call "Fio", after tha name of the female airplane designer for Pocco.

A japanese dude has scratch built a depron one powered by GWS XC-50

Here's the video:

Little Fio video
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:05 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,301 Posts
Thanks RK,nice video,ideal calm water, slight morning mist. The Fio`plane is a variant of the one saw which has a V tail, the one on video has T-tail, tip floats without anhederal panels but nice nontheless . The inboard floats are good. What do you think of a "Pocco" series for maybe all movie and cartoon fantasy waterplanes. Superscale has gone into the big-buck league,bit too serious for my meagre budget. IMHO.
Last edited by arrow5; Jun 21, 2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:19 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow5
well sunk-in ply plates(or PC board f/glass material ) for strut hard points.
Could you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow5
...dont forget where the angle on the "flat bottom" Clark Y is . Not the flat but from the front radius of the L.E.
The Clark-Y air foil I got from Compufoil. It is not "flat" at the bottom. I would think a flat bottom would be easie to bend with foam. This is the one I have. Does it looks fine?

7.5" Wing cord now. Should I go to 8" for more lift?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:16 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Rkhoo i usually just use polyurethane glue to put the struts in the wing of course mix it with a little water to get it to foam up .. never failed me yet ..

now i have also used an anchor piece in the wing then made my struts bolt in to the anchor piece for removal ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:29 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,301 Posts
RK, Very thin fibre-glass sheet is (usualy) the stiff material that the printed circuit boards have as support for the very thin copper foil. It can be obtained in Radio Shack type DIY computer or electronics hobby store. A much stronger waterproof alternative to plywood. It can sometimes be obtained without the metal layer from 1mm upwards in thickness. If you get "blank" board they are predrilled over the entire surface with regularly spaced holes which makes for a good bond with epoxy glue. My prefered method is to sink a plate into a block of blue-foam to spread the load . If hollow fan-fold foam , fill the stressed area with a block of foam. Your illustration of the Clark Y shows exactly what I mean : note the datum line from front to trailing edge, it is not parallel to the under surface. Most people short-cut the true shape and use the bottom,not quite flat, surface as zero incidence when in fact they will have built-in perhaps, plus1 or 2 degrees. 8" chord, yeah why not, just a little more wing area always helps. Are you sticking with the cluttered tail mounting ? I`d stick it on the fuz for simplicity. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:54 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Small Seaplanes and ultralights...explore the wierd and wonderfull small fry
http://vulatalk.zdwebhosting.com/pic...oats/Page.html
More light seaplanes -Abbotsford Weekend Flyers
http://www.flyingboats.ca/Abbotsfor...tors/index.html....Uh oh Abbots have taken down the pages....I hope they come back they were a rather good resource.

Duncan how about the Damselfly design..I sent you as an E power Foamy?
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jun 22, 2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:46 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhoo
Could you elaborate?

The Clark-Y air foil I got from Compufoil. It is not "flat" at the bottom. I would think a flat bottom would be easie to bend with foam. This is the one I have. Does it looks fine?

7.5" Wing cord now. Should I go to 8" for more lift?
Clark Y should be flat bottom its hard to tell from the small diagram but I think its a side effect of pixel /line plotting where the aerofoil lower surface isn't on the horizontal axis......If you go to Ivan Petigrews technical pages he lists his sections.......most have a flat bottom over part of the lower surface if not the whole ........easier for building.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jun 22, 2006 at 11:08 AM.