to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2002, 09:52 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,125 Posts
the simplest stealth sport

Sorry! unable to load pics...too big ...Hippo@FoamFly.com has photos and will have free plans soon....Don't miss this one...it doesn't get any easier or more fun GWS A motor 8/720nimh
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:06 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Try shrinking the picts. There's a size limit.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:40 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,125 Posts
the simplest stealth

Hippo has generously created a gallery space for the SS, and other things at http://FoamFly.com/gallery/view_albu...albumName=Glen

thanks ....gpw
Old Jul 24, 2002, 11:20 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Looks good, but too bad you had to use a vertical fin. Is this a flat plate wing?

My foamboard Soslo2 has an undercambered wing with washout, so it didn't need any fins. It may be possible to come up with a hybrid of both designs that looks more scale.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 01:07 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
It might be possible...

I never would have thought that a wing could fly without a vertical stab, but last week at Mid-America I saw Keith Shaw fly this amazing thing through an 8 point roll.

I'm thinking that a little experimentation, and ingenuity might do it.

Here's a few more of gpw's creations to enjoy.

Your planes look great Glen. I'll have the plans in a few days, and they'll be downloadable either in Glen's photo gallery, or somewhere on the FoamFly.com website. These plans will be FREE for as long as gpw wants it that way.

Enjoy,
-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Jul 24, 2002, 01:27 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,125 Posts
simplest stealth

the FREE plans are in the mail and should be in your hands by Fri. or Sat.

GUYS! this was developed as a sort of stealth, a sport plane ,a trainer(yes it's that gentle), a plane that could be constructed for a couple bucks, almost indestructable, hours of fun.......I know the fin is not "stealth scale", but it sure flys good and when you're looking at the bottom of the wing as it flys over,it looks stealth for me.
Believe me ,I really respect Keith shaws' amazing efforts,but he is the "guru of electrics", this is only a lowly sport plane ,made for having FUN with little time or investment.
Gosh! even the megatech B2 has a cheeter fin...............yes it is a flat plate, almost.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 02:02 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
You want to talk flat plate, here's a stealth tile....
Old Jul 24, 2002, 02:10 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,125 Posts
simplest stealth

Pierre, you are a wild and crazy guy ,just like me. I love your flat flyer, will have to send you pictures of the "pop-up disc and the UP(12inch flying disc-GWS a mtr....hot!!).. seems that almost anything will fly, given the proper attitude....
Old Jul 24, 2002, 02:28 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Given enough power, anything will fly. The tile started off with a direct drive S400, which would barely fly. Now with a 3:1 GB and 10x7 on 8 cells, it moves quite well. Orientation is though with a square outline, as it's difficult to tell if it's coming or going. Deltas are better, although contrasting colors on top & bottom are beneficial if it moves fast.

Here's another flat plate of mine, foamboard with the paper still on & packing tape, 20" WS, direct S400. Should have made it a bit bigger so it floats better.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:00 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,125 Posts
simplest stealth

the delta wing IMHO seems to be the basis for all of these stealth designs, with the draggy rear part of the delta cut away, and with the wingtips trailing behind everything else,the stability factor seems to increase(sort of like a wheelbarrow).......I've noticed everyone is using speed 400 motors ,direct drive with heavy 600 mah batteries. we've been using the GWS A motors with 270NIMH batteries on the ss for an overall weight of 6 to 7 oz. this produces a gentle almost kite like aircraft, perfect for just crusing around,or as a trainer ,really! And with reasonably long flight times. what kind of weight are you running???????????
Old Jul 24, 2002, 08:41 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
About 7.5 oz on the Soslo2, although I had to add some nose weight to get the CG right. Flies quite slowly, actually too slow to do any aerobatics, just lazy patterns around me to make me dizzy. Did manage a roll, but lost a lot of altitude doing so. It's pretty draggy with the open bottom, which is fine for a slow flyer. The S400 ones are about 2 times and more the weight.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 09:53 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,125 Posts
simplest stealth

The real purpose of the STEALTH SPORT was to utilize the thing that attracted us here in the first place ...FOAM ....all design stuff aside ,these foam products (fanfold, depron , meat trays) are really great for turning out extremely low cost but very durable models, especially these lightweight flyers. AND the use of the almost flat single surface airfoil that flys so good and builds soooooo quickly is really a treat, at least for an old geezer like me...Think about it , the SS has about 375sq.in. of wing area ,weighs less than 7 0z. and can be built in 30 min. for under $2.00...WHOA DUDE! ...and it has flown for over 40 min on a LI pack. how much fun can you have????????????
Old Jul 25, 2002, 02:38 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,125 Posts
STEALTH SPORT-BLACK PROJECT

Update...20% smaller version,black sturdyboard(paper removed)...same gear,etc.......results ,much faster ,less trainerlike,rolls like crazy..square loops ...tends to nose up in the turns???????????CG,OK!what gives????
Old Jul 25, 2002, 08:22 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
You may have scale the outline 20%, but is the wing thickness the same as before? If so, you would have now a thicker wing in terms of %, which would impact the lift it creates.