HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2006, 08:15 AM
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Question
Beginners Questions on Honey Bee MK2

I am brand new to RC and to helicopters of course. Just got the Honey Bee II from Hobby-Lobby for $99. Looks very nice but the manual leaves alot to be desired. The translated english is funny at spots and unhelpful in others. I have a few questions I need to get answered:

1. CG - mounting the battery and moving it as far forward as possible in the battery holder still doesn't allow me to balance the copter. It still leans backward. Is this normal or ok and how balanced must it be?
2. Main rotor blade setting - is there an easy way to set the main rotor blades. Everytime I tried to learn to fly it, I have a mishap and the blades get swept out of alignment. I have been setting them by sight, so they are perpendiclar to the fly bar but if I don't get them close, it vibrates alot. The manual is completely messed up here. It shows someone twisting the blades and pulling in and out, my blades don't move that way. They only rotate around the screw that holds them in place.
3. I know this is a pipe dream but someday if I ever learn to fly it, I would like to mount a wireless video transmitter on it. How much weight can the Honey Bee lift?
4. The manual mentions a web site (www.esky-sz.com) but when I tried to acces it, I get an error. Have they gone out of business?
5. There is made mention of a LiPo battery but no part numbers, specs or price anywhere I can find.
6. I have only been able to try to take off with a few times because of the weather. Once I did manage to get it off the ground and it flew away from and at about 50' away I saw the light on the mixer go red and by that time it ran into a wall. I didn't have the antenna unwrapped from the skids (the manula didn't say too) so I am wondering what is the range of the transmitter?

Thanks for your help.
jocatch is offline Find More Posts by jocatch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:36 AM
Joined Jun 2006
98 Posts
Hi and welcome to the joys of the HoneyBee. You don't say whether its a Fp or CP but judging from the price I'm guessing FP (also as I think you have NMh batteries)

Re the CoG. The battery holder isn't very good and with the wires coming out of the battery pack, not a nice fit either. You need to slide the hanger as far forward as possible and put the battery up to the front edge and then slide up the back hanger. If that doesn't work, you may have to resort to just using rubber bands, as it is important to get that bird balanced.

Main blades - put them as perpendicular as you can. I used to square off on the bit nearest the head, as it is at a slightly different angle to the rest of the blade. If the securing screw is loose enough, they should spin out on spool up, but there will be wobbles to start with that should disappear. The twisting in the manual is if they don't track correctly (when looked at edge on there should be a narrow edge, showing the blades at the same plain. They should be ok from new, and I neer touched them in this repsect)

In it's current form, I doubt the FP would carry any significant weight like a camera.

Re Lipos, again I'm not sure what heli you've got. The FP can't handle the 11.5v liPos the CP uses, and needs the E-Sky Lama 7.4V Li-Poly Battery - EK1-0181

re the antenna, I was told it didn't need unwinding and 50 ft should've been ok. If the light on the mixer had gone red, you probably had no juice left for control.

Hope this helps
WykeWing is offline Find More Posts by WykeWing
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:45 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,417 Posts
You may also want to subscribe to this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458261

It's the Honey Bee II FP owner's thread, and there is a LOT of helpful information there about this fun little bird.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:13 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
I pulled the LG frame apart and removed the front battery holder allowing the battery to be moved forward. I use a rubber band to keep the battery in the rear holder and the front of the battery pulled upward. (probably need a picture and I never can seem to get a good one of this)

The canopy needs the bottom trimmed to allow it to fit on with the battery far enough forward to ballance the heli. Go ahead and trim it using any convenient pair of scissors.

You can make passable practice bladed from egg carton foam covered with clear packing tape. Heli-fever.com sells PE blades at appx $3.75 which are better than the Honeybee FP's originals.

You CAN go to LiPos on the HoneyBee FP, but you have to change the pinion gear on the motor. (I don't remember the tooth count of the originbal and the replacement) With the correct gear the 11 to 12.5 v will spin the motor faster and with the original gear you will draw excess current, burning up the 4-in-1. With the correct gear you will draw LESS current using the LiPo. Again heli-fever.com has appropriate 1200 mah LiPos at a good price. (not the best grade LiPos... they are NOT good for over 8 amp current, but the heli will draw much less than that.)

Find Sarge's info thread about the Honeybee helis. Some of it references the CP2, some references the FP. Note that anything which does not require you to have the CP head which works on the CP2 will work on the FP. Same frame, same tail motor, (I am not sure if there's a difference in the main motors other than the gear... you can swap the CP2 motor into the FP) the 4-in-1 from the FP will work in the CP2.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:55 AM
Huntsville, TX.
Joined May 2006
394 Posts
I taped a quarter in the nose of the canopy. Balanced it out perfectly.

brian
bhbuster is offline Find More Posts by bhbuster
Old Jun 16, 2006, 07:48 PM
Joined Apr 2006
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
You CAN go to LiPos on the HoneyBee FP, but you have to change the pinion gear on the motor. (I don't remember the tooth count of the originbal and the replacement) With the correct gear the 11 to 12.5 v will spin the motor faster and with the original gear you will draw excess current, burning up the 4-in-1. With the correct gear you will draw LESS current using the LiPo. Again heli-fever.com has appropriate 1200 mah LiPos at a good price. (not the best grade LiPos... they are NOT good for over 8 amp current, but the heli will draw much less than that.)
You have to change the pinion to use a 7.4v 800mah lipo in the HB fp II???

SHNIKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hellcopter is offline Find More Posts by Hellcopter
Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:05 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcopter
You have to change the pinion to use a 7.4v 800mah lipo in the HB fp II???
I believe he was talking about using 3 cell packs. No changes would have to be made to use 2 cell packs.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:47 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Mar 2005
26 Posts
I have been using a 900 mah li-po, 3-cell, in the HB fixed pitch for quite some time. The 4 in 1 will handle the extra current, and I have not had to replace the tail or main motor over months of use. Flies much better.
superdoc7 is offline Find More Posts by superdoc7
Old Jun 17, 2006, 01:26 AM
Happy on 72
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2005
484 Posts
Jocatch-
Regarding the main blade angles, see my post and picture here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=600

I would also highly recommend the lessons for rc helicopters here:
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

Mike
mwhitman is offline Find More Posts by mwhitman
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:42 AM
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help. BTW, it is the $99 HB FP MkII from Hobby Lobby.

As I posted in another thread, since I was having problems with the transmitter going dead, I have a replacement Honey Bee coming so I haven't been doing anything with the HB other than to pack it up to send back.

I will effectively be starting from scratch again with the new one with the adjustments and the like. What I don't understand is the balance. I don't understand how the same helicopter from the same company built the same way with the same parts can for some people balance with the battery as far forward as the mounts will allow and some people like me can't balance unless we move the battery alot closer to the mixer.

Anyway, I plan to take the new one right from the box and use it w/o any adjustments first so I can't screw it up in case the factory adjustments are right on.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:36 PM
Southeast PA
Joined Oct 2005
2,803 Posts
Try to avoid adding weight to your heli. It's harder to fly when she's heavy. I don't know why the battery keepers are desighed like that on the HB FP. You can't get the battery foward enough to balance the heli. If you can, get a battery tray from a Blade CP or HB CP2 and use velcro on the tray/battery, with a velcro strap around the whole thing. She'll never move and you can get the balance right.

Definately check out the main thread.
Vario3 is offline Find More Posts by Vario3
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:10 PM
Trieste, Italy
Joined Jun 2006
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
You CAN go to LiPos on the HoneyBee FP
What's the original battery on the honeybee? NiMH, but what configuration, and what cell size?
Tachikoma is offline Find More Posts by Tachikoma
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
Joined Apr 2006
99 Posts
If you order the battery mount for the HB King, it puts your battery right up under the 4 in 1. You can adjust from there, forward or back. I have one coming for my HB fp2.
Hellcopter is offline Find More Posts by Hellcopter
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:59 AM
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Well, Hobby Looby came through! They are a great company to deal with. I received my new replacement Honey Bee FP yesterday. I took it out of the box and without doing any adjustments, I tried to fly it. I actuall y got it to fly for a few seconds before crashing (no damage). Then I looked at the balance and just like the old one, it was aft heavy. So I removed the front battery holder and slide the rear holder forward and mounted the battery half under the mixer and half under the frame. I used the rear battery holder to suport the rear of the battery and a rubber brand around the mixer to hold the front of the battery. Now it balances! Unfortunately it was too late last night for me to try to fly it after balancing. As I stated before I am brand new to flying anything so I need all the help I can get, having it out of balance would make it even harder to learn.

JC
Old Jun 22, 2006, 01:25 PM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
jocatch,

I fly mine with the stock battery in the installed holders without any serious issues. There is a balance? When I am using a 2 cell lipo I rubberband it right under the 4n1 unit. The only bad habit I can point to is when the throttle is reduced to lose altitude, it tends to pitch a bit back and I need to hold some forward stick while decending and as soon as I am back up on power, its back to normal. With this reduced headspeed its almosy uncontrollable anyway so I think its a "feature"

-Mike
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird