HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:49 PM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Discussion
Building a Workshop - What is one thing you can't do without in your workshop?

I just moved my family a whopping 200 yards to a new house in the same neighborhood we were in. The nice part is we are taking our two car garage which measures 21 x 20 and turning it into a front garage area and a bonus room which is approximately 13 x 20. Most of this is going to be a kids playroom area but my wife was brainstorming with me and decided that I needed an air conditioned space to build my planes that actually had storage but was there anyway to do that without leaving out a big mess. We have 2 children under 6 and a third one on the way so safety is certainly a concern with glues and knives. So here is my big idea. I went and bought Red Oak cabinets from Lowes to build into the walls so that they are flush on the inside of the house and just stick out into the garage storage area. We have such a huge attic and this is a garden home so most of the yard work is done for me so I don't have nearly enough need for a big garage like I used to especially after I helped setup my father with a real 30x20 workshop in his backyard. You have to understand that in South carolina most people don't actually use their garage to store cars, myself included. So let me show you what I have done and what I have and then I want suggestions to make it better. People that have a workshop setup please give me suggestions. I know that I won't have the room to do everything I want. My space is still quite limited but hey it's worlds better than what I had before.

Salter
Salter is offline Find More Posts by Salter
Last edited by Salter; Jun 17, 2006 at 08:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:55 PM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
I don't know if I clarified this enough. I really want input as to what is a good for making foamies. For instance, I already got a PM from one person suggesting that I have something else built into the wall just for keeping my foam out of the way. I think that is a great idea because the sheets are so big and get in the way. I typically build in blue core for my scaleish designs and I do EPP and Depron for any flat plate stuff that I want to airbrush and I do sometimes delve into (shudder) balsa if I am doing a sub 1oz plane because I do have an RFFS System, but I don't really need to design for that. That stuff takes up so little space I keep all of it in one small tacklebox except for the balsa.

Salter
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:24 PM
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
292 Posts
Salter,

Get several of the rectangular plastic/metal multi-drawer organizers from Walmart or KMart. These typically are around 18" high by 16" or more wide and maybe 6" or so deep. They have 20 or more clear plastic drawars that are invaluable for storing small to medium sized items like motors, ESCs, servos, connectors, control horns, etc. You can easily mount these directly on the wall using plastic anchor hardware.

Oh, if it's not too late, you might want to consider a pocket door rather than a full hung door. Pocket doors are very space saving. For security, you can use a sliding glass door lock mechanism and a little enginuity to keep the young'uns out. Just remember that the pocket side of the wall is hollow where the door slides so don't make the mistake of trying to hang anything requiring wall anchors on that part of the wall. (Don't ask me how I know that tip.)

Good luck,

Van
van-c is offline Find More Posts by van-c
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:35 AM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
The plastic thingies.

Yeah I definitely have some of those and I even took the time to use a Dymo labeler on the outside of each tray so that I would know what was inside them. (Yes I know they are see through and I should be able to see.) I don't mind using those but I really want to keep the junk level down. I have a very nice office desk that I am sacrificing as a work desk and I kind of want that open for building and don't want to line it with plastic drawers unless I can maybe hang them on the wall out of the way. What I have done so far on the workshop is put in Kitchen Cabinets down low that have 4 drawers each. Then, above those I hung to bathroom sink type cabinets. One is a double width and one is a single. I was going to use regulat kitchen cabinets on the top as well but they are shallowere and I liked having the top drawer be fake on the Bathroom cabint since there is no way I am going to put stuff in a drawer 6 feet of the ground. I took some pictures and will upload those in a bit so it is clearer what I am doing.

Salter
Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Foam really needs to be stored flat - I keep mine in the rafters of the garage, on a large flat bit of wood.

You also need space to store long carbon rods and music wire. I use rows of nails on another rafter.

About the only foamie specific thing you might want is room for hot wire cutting.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jun 16, 2006, 06:22 PM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Yeah that is one of the things that concerns me. I actually have a featherlight system or whatever that foam cutting system is. I got it off of Ebay for a song and a dance and I would love to set it up but that is a lot of space for a very specific thing that I don't really have to do that much. I attached a picture of the beginnings of the cabinet area in the garage. I expect things to come together because frankly I am making myself not make any planes until this is done.

Salter
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:35 AM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salter
Yeah that is one of the things that concerns me. I actually have a featherlight system or whatever that foam cutting system is. I got it off of Ebay for a song and a dance and I would love to set it up but that is a lot of space for a very specific thing that I don't really have to do that much.
I'd hinge the table for the featherlite to the wall, so that you can fold it down (or up) flush to the wall when it's not in use.

I have a jury rigged power tool holder that works for me. I used the aluminum pole from an old clothes line thingie as the center rotating pole, and made a 3 sided rig for my belt/disc sander, scroll saw, and bench grinder. I just rotate what I need to the top and lock it into position.

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Jun 18, 2006, 01:03 PM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Yeah a hinged table assembly would be good. Again clean is very important to me so I need to do something that looks either nice hanging on a wall or it needs to be hidden when not in use. Does anyone know what a typical setup for a Featherlight is? Table dimensions would be great.

Salter
Old Sep 08, 2014, 08:59 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,080 Posts
I can't go without a workbench in my workshop
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member