HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2006, 05:44 PM
EJR
Bristol, UK
Joined May 2006
8 Posts
Question
Flying wing - to use washout or modify section at tip?

I've been thinking of making a homebrew 60inch 'fast' flying tapered wing of moderate sweep as a compromise between a zagi and a plank as the next project. This would be for general sports flying and fun.

Rather than using a few degress of washout (2-3) that seems common with Zagi style wings, is there any advantage in just modifying the section at the tip to prevent tip stalling? Or would it be worthwhile doing a combination of both?

I was thinking of using HS-522 (2.03% camber) and reducing the camber at the tip.

EJR
EJR is offline Find More Posts by EJR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2006, 06:32 PM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I have always dreamed of using just a little washout, 1% and then to compliment that use a more lifting airfoil on the tip ie. thicker. My theroy is, the washout wants to twist the wing tips down and the more lifting airfoil wants to twist the tips up effectively getting rid of the twisting effects altogether, thoretically. That's the simple version. On thing to keep in mind. The forces will vary with speed and ideally the speed that they are opposite and equal will be a HIGH speed where the forces would be greatest/most likely to twist your wing and make it slow down. I would think that would make for a VERY tip stall adverse wing as well. But what do I know, building is my specialty !
I would love to hear any ideas on the topic though! I always wondered about that theroy of my. Though I'll bet Iwas not the frst to think of it .
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Jun 14, 2006, 07:12 PM
EJR
Bristol, UK
Joined May 2006
8 Posts
Here's a start then....
EJR is offline Find More Posts by EJR
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
Goto http://www.coloradogliders.com/twist2a.xls and see what you can come up with. I have designed a couple of planes using this program and it seems to work. This http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...lyingwings.htm is also a very informative site on flying wings.

Hope this helps
Dale
1-26 Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 1-26 Flyer
Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:31 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,628 Posts
If you are using tapered elevons (wider at the tip than the root) then you dont need washout in the wing. The elevon will give you a type of false washout.

Glenn
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:08 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
856 Posts
if you rely on relexing the elevons you'll reduce the speed range of the wing, working to zagi type proportions if you use the MH45 you'll only need about 1.5deg of washout, and have wing with a wide speed range
miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase