HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2002, 02:16 PM
Clinton. WA.
Joined Jun 2002
7 Posts
DC-3 Conversion

I am starting to build a DC-3 model kit by TOP FLITE (DC3T). I want to convert to electric and this will require some structural changes. Does anyone have any experience with a conversion of this kit and/or suggestions?
John Goodwin is offline Find More Posts by John Goodwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2002, 12:14 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
John:
Do a search of these forums using 'DC3' and you'll find almost 100 threads, some of them relating to the TopFlite kit. A friend has 1 with 2xAstro 25's on 36 cells; way too much power and weight!
Good luck,
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Jul 24, 2002, 04:23 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,095 Posts
Trevor Hewson has done a successful conversion of one -

http://homepage.mac.com/trevorhewson...C3/DC3text.htm
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Dec 13, 2002, 05:19 PM
Berkeley,CA
Joined Nov 2002
14 Posts
John, was wondering how this project is coming. I am building a Guillows DC 3 scaled up to 71" 1/16 scale but I don't trust the airfoil. It is thick and flatbottomed. I was wondering if you had a scanner and would be willing to email me airfoil templates for your DC 3 for root and then the out board portion of wing.
Also, what motors and escs did you settle on. In any case I hope it turned out well. If you can't do it I'll check with Trevor too.
Regards
Jim Capparell
jcap is offline Find More Posts by jcap
Old Jul 09, 2003, 09:33 PM
Clinton. WA.
Joined Jun 2002
7 Posts
Jim, I want to appologize for not answering your response to my inquiry. I entered my inquiry and then only got 2 responses, but they were very good responses. After that, I just didn't look at this inquiry again until now. I'm very sorry that I have kept you waiting. If you still want the info you requested, let me know.

This Top Flite kit has an 82" WS and will be about 10 lbs in weight when finished. 1/14 scale. It is designed for gas, but has been sucessfully converted to electric. The plans do not have the individual ribs shown, but I think I could get the outlines off from the dye cut sheets and mail them to you (no scanner). The wing is flat on the bottom. I am just finishing up the top half of the body, so it is going to be a while before I get to the wing.

As for motors & batteries, I am still in a fog. I want to use brushless and it looks like it is going to take 16 or 18 cells. I am hopping to use a single ESC thru a Y harness to each motor. There is very wide opinion as to the workability of this arrangement----time only will tell.

What is the status of your DC-3 build? I don't recognize the name
Guillows. Is it a stik kit or fiberglass?

Well good luck and hope to hear from you soon.
John Goodwin is offline Find More Posts by John Goodwin
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:37 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,458 Posts
I have built and am flying the HVP DC3, which is about 1/18 scale, 403 sq.in., 49.5 oz AUW, 17.5 oz./ft^2. I am using 6v s400's with the Gunther 125x110 props in DD, which is probably the minimum power that will fly this plane. Even at its low wing loading it lands hot.

From my experience with this plane (38 flights to date) it flies much too fast to appear 'scale'. If I throttle back to just above stall speed it looks just about right. Of course, this is a dangerous way to fly. On the other hand, at full throttle it will fly faster than any other plane I've flown

If my DC3 is any indication of other scale DC3's I think you have to make some fundamental decisions. If you want it to fly in a 'scale' like manner, you'll have to keep the weight as low as possible.

If you're interested in boring holes in the sky, then leave it heavy and pour on the watts
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jul 10, 2003, 03:51 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
I do not know of any truly successful installation with two brushless motors on one controller.

The reason is that the controller senses the current and phase in each leg of the motor and uses that information to generate the necessary waveforms. With two motors, the ESC can't determine the necessary information to provide the proper output.
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:18 PM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
Fliir-

Two brushless motors and one controller work fine with Kontronik controllers. It's even officially supported by Kontronik.

-Ben
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss