Looking good!
Frojd is offline Find More Posts by Frojd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2008, 06:05 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2005
407 Posts
Super drawing... thanks for the work!

I will follow your fly test and build one in the winter.

A question, how are you curving the part? it will be my first...

stephane
sruelle is offline Find More Posts by sruelle
Old Oct 04, 2008, 06:14 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,265 Posts
Very nice build pics Prop-er.

Blazer
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:43 PM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,130 Posts
Today I maidened the still unpainted Rafale. Weather was good, but dusk was already setting in.

A few chucks showed massive tail heavy behavior, so I added a piece of lead to the nose, thus moving the CG a good 10mm forward. (final position 415mm from the nose) The tossed Rafale now glided in a good manner.

Half power, aother light toss, and the Rafale rose into the sky. Power from the little Himodel 1540kV brushless on an APC 6x5,5 was impressive. Unlimited vertical performance from the 25 gram motor, which consumes about 7 amps from a 3S 460mah HXT lipo.

Had to trim some up and right to get the Rafale going in a straight line. After I switched to half rates the behavior settled, and I started making some high circuits. Soon I discovered the Rafale liked flying at high alpha a lot. This gave me the confidence to get the jet nearer to the ground. Flying a low pass at high alpha at absolute walking pace, then crank the throttle open wide, and the Rafale really screamed away. Very satisfying!

Anyway, I kept flying for too long, the dusk grew darker and darker, and while flying a looping, too far away, I lost orientation. While both sides of the plane are still plain white, this doesn't help a lot. It went straight in with considerable speed. Luckily the damage is limited to the nose section, so I hope to fly and properly finish this jet soon.

In the meantime, enjoy the video here:
Rafale 20" - Depron electric jet (2 min 22 sec)
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Oct 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
clt
Joined Jul 2007
3 Posts
Super! Thank you.
clt is offline Find More Posts by clt
Old Oct 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1 Posts
Half way through build

Prop-er. Currently half way through building the Rafale 20". I have a previous copy of your plans so will have to modify the lower fuse to fit. So far I have all the bits cut out and the wing joined to the top fuselage and front canards fitted. Will post some pics when I work out how to do it.

Thanks,

Rob.
Cornholio35123 is offline Find More Posts by Cornholio35123
Old Nov 04, 2008, 07:24 AM
hibaldstow, UK
Joined Nov 2008
5 Posts
40" rafale

thanks to prop-er for plan, really enjoy building it, i am using 6mm depron (black)
had to make a few joints to get the length, as a newbie, i am reluctant to post pics, will do when sure no one will laugh
fundachild is offline Find More Posts by fundachild
Old Nov 05, 2008, 02:37 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,130 Posts
Funda,

We all have to start somewhere. I think my first plane was a Guillow's Typhoon balsa kit plane, back when I was 14. It was as heavy as a brick and warped in every direction. Still it gave me satisfaction, because I build it. Didn't really flew, though. I just threw it away, and it landed a bit further, wind that rubber again...

If someone else has a good laugh about the state or quality of your model, at least you made someone laugh. The next model will be better. Experience has to start somewhere.
Old Nov 08, 2008, 08:17 PM
hibaldstow, UK
Joined Nov 2008
5 Posts
thanks for the encouragement, i have had a lot of fun figuring the way your plan parts fit together, i have the 40" 80% built, and with that experiance, i will have the 20" done by the 12th
Old Nov 09, 2008, 05:38 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,130 Posts
Of all planes you could have chosen as a first build, this Rafale probably is the least suited...

Even I had to take a good look at my own 3D model to understand the right orientation of some parts. (especially around the tailpipes)

If you get stuck, just make a pic of the part you've got a question about, through PM or email. I'll try to help you out. If you get your Rafale flying, that would be a major accomplishment!

Vincent

(I can really recommend my Duplex Delta as a suited first build and trainer!)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559186
Old Nov 09, 2008, 05:41 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,130 Posts
No way, I just noticed your building the 40" too... OMG!!!

That thing is huge, probably wouldn't even fit in my car... If you want to make it fly like a jet, you'll need at least a speedy 300W power setup...

I definitely would to see a pic of you holding that 40" Rafale, for size comparison... (of the plane, mind you)
Old Nov 09, 2008, 02:31 PM
hibaldstow, UK
Joined Nov 2008
5 Posts
please find a quick photo if its any help i am 6ft 2in, i kow nothing about electric
planes but did build and fly balsa models 35 years ago, just retired so have taken it up again, i like working with balsa and foam, foam being new to me
Old Nov 09, 2008, 02:35 PM
hibaldstow, UK
Joined Nov 2008
5 Posts
sorry note wing tips broken on both models, accident on th 40, but not on the 20, plan to put them back at the end of the build
P.S. thanks for the offer of help
Old Nov 09, 2008, 03:46 PM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,130 Posts
Pfew! Kinda like Laurel & Hardy, those two!

Looks like serious fun. If I remember well, I haven't quite updated the 40" plans. Those rounded lower fuse parts can be 6mm too long, between fuse and wing. (I had to make new ones on mine, since I couldn't fit them properly)

My wing missile tip racks (?) have broken of about six times now... I guess they stay in one piece, after adding scale missiles. (non-functioning, don't worry...)

You're UK based?
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:51 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6 Posts
40" rafale

Hello,

i'm currently building the 40" rafale and I have some questions, first of all, do you think this motor could be nice for this aircraft ? http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=290266988881

And I haven't found anywhere where to put the battery, with this kind of aircraft, the gravity center must be something really important so could you please guide me.

Thanks a lot for those plans

QuiGonJinn37
quigonjinn37 is offline Find More Posts by quigonjinn37