HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2002, 01:06 PM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
park/indoor flying in Indianapolis?

Hey everyone, is there a spot where people converge to do some park or indoor flying in Indianapolis?
I ask because my brother who lives in N.C. was telling me that that have this place fondly dubbed "hobby park" due to the large amounts of people who drive, fly, and boat there. It sounds great!
cathode is offline Find More Posts by cathode
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2002, 04:45 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2001
313 Posts
I know of nothing but I'd drive to Indy for a place indoors.

Charles
CharlesD is offline Find More Posts by CharlesD
Old Jul 23, 2002, 04:52 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Never heard of it. I have been on my own in this ghost town. That's why I moved away from Indy........no R/C.

just kidding
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jul 23, 2002, 04:54 PM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
ahhh crap. I'm stuck in this ghost town of 1mil+ ghosts

My searches have turned up 3 Indy "clubs" that want dues and drive gas planes. so old-fashioned. I'll keep looking.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:43 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I have found 2 guys flying Fighter-Birds, and several on the way to the R/C field.... I find a bean field, park, or school yard, pull over, and let it fly!

Seriously, I haven't heard of anything, other than rumors of some guys at the Golf Dome (Keystone & 65), but no confirmations.

Now, early mornings and after the races at http://www.rcworld.com we fly and drink a lot of beer, but it's a ways away, and plan on camping....
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:44 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
BTW, found a decent E-Flight Hobby Shop? Best I can tell is hobbyTownUSA, followed by HobbyRC...
Old Jul 24, 2002, 01:02 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
You will find slimer fields. Yes, Hobbytown in Indy is big and has an indoor car racetrack in case that interests you. They do have a selection of EP flight gear but I have never heard of any E-flight events.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jul 24, 2002, 08:41 AM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
Just recently hobbytown removed their track and expanded their store into that adjacent space.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:18 AM
New Castle, IN
Joined Sep 2001
83 Posts
Good eflight LHS

Although Hobby R/C has a good selection and Barb is very helpful (tell her Jeff Powell sent you). The best so far that I have found is in Muncie. Muncie Model & Hobbie seems to be the best. You might want to call before trying to find it though. They have a fairly good supply of GWS stuff and others (FMA, Graupner, etc). It's also very close to the AMA site which has a great museum and an impressive set of fields.

Hobby R/C
1102 S Franklin Rd # 1
Indianapolis, IN 46239-2155
Phone317)359-6242

Muncie Model & Hobbie
2645 S County Road 400 E
Muncie, IN 47302-9227
Phone765)289-5856
jdpowell22 is offline Find More Posts by jdpowell22
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:36 AM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
My brother flies in Indy, so I asked him for details to post here. Here is his response:

"I'm not sure that I want word to get out about our gym. It's too crowded already. Most public school gyms charge about $40.00 per hour to pay for heat, lights and the requisite maintenance person. Ours only charges $20.00, but it's small and some nights so many people show up that I can only fly 5 or 10 minutes. Besides, it's only once a month from Sept through May. So I'll be selfish and not share!"

Well, that probably didn't help much. However, I though it might encourage some of you Hoosiers get together and rent a high school gym for yourselves! If you find one for $15/hr, I wouldn't share that with my brother!
Fly is online now Find More Posts by Fly
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:50 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Thanks, Fly.

I know the Free Flighters get together at John Marshall Jr High, but the electrics stir up the air too much for them, so they banned them according to Barb.

Great new on Muncie. Have to let Joe know, his grandkids live there...

Haven't been to Hobbytown in a month or so, I trust the selection went up? I just avoid Castleton... too many idiots per square inch...

Wonder what the rent is on the RCA Dome? Or the Coliseum?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 11:28 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2001
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genebond
Wonder what the rent is on the RCA Dome? Or the Coliseum?
That would be AWSOME!
CharlesD is offline Find More Posts by CharlesD
Old Jul 24, 2002, 11:50 PM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
AWRIGHTY, some Hoosier flyers. We have several of electric flyers in the club I'm in. INDY RC SOUTH. The indoor thing has just started coming around, with fair interest. Great field, great group. We flew at a hanger near Anderson last winter, also the Golf Dome mentioned above. I fly regularly at a church parking lot on Main St. in Greenwood, and at the field. The church is finishing up an indoor soccer and rec. building. I will check with my neighbor on the completion date....maybe rent there cheap?
Barb has always met or beat internet shopping prices and gets stuff quick. I rarely buy from the net now. Though they cant carry alot due to the size of the shop, they can get it all. Anybody here in that club?(because I dont recognize any names right off)
I hope to get more involved in electrics, especially some of the small stuff for indoors...as money allows.
Hope to meet some of you all soon...lets stay in touch.
mcrabby311 is offline Find More Posts by mcrabby311
Old Jul 25, 2002, 05:53 AM
Indpls.,In.
Joined Oct 2000
461 Posts
I fly all electrics and joined Indy RC South. We have
had some fly ins at the Golf Dome. There seems to be
a slow growing interest in electrics in our club.
Need someone to convert a 40 size sport plane that will perform
well to impress the other members of our club.
Glad to hear from other Indy folks
Dan Cooper
dvint is offline Find More Posts by dvint
Old Jul 25, 2002, 08:06 AM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
I live near castleton (right next to the mayhem) and have been flying behind a church on hague aqnd 82nd, and also sometimes go up to a park on 116th st east of I-69, it's huge, and perfect. I go up there sat mornings usually, around 7am. Only once did someone stop by, some kid who said he flies glow. I think he was pretty impressed a the ease of electric, I was flying the Tinabob with li-ions; no fuss, no muss, all flying and fun