HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2006, 01:20 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Discussion
Stryker Extra Lite 9.1oz

Just did a one minute maiden in the dark. It has decent power, glides just fine. But the 830TP batt had to be all the way forward, with a nickel taped to the nose. I could move the Esskay motor forward, but I'm giong to try a 3 cell in it later.
I'm running a Esskay, berg 4L, Hitec 55's, EPP tails, depron elevons and covers. Also I shaved off the side scoops and thinned the nose area.
Hopefully tomorrow will have a bit less wind. Butch

This Stryker Boomer is real stable for a Wing, but I think the Stryker-Lite will be cheaper and less to build.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Last edited by Butch777; Jun 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2006, 01:25 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Oh,
The motors pulling 4.7 amps, with a 8060 prop, putting out just over 9ozs of thrust. But it will do alot better on 3's.
Butch
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:21 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Got a chance to take it out again. Wind was over 10 mph and a little gusty, with a slight sprinkle. I was able to take out most of the reflex and even move the batt back a bit. It was able to handle the wind just fine, even a 9ozs. I was even flying it a 50% throttle most of the time and it still was able to handle the wind.
At full power, it climbs better than 70 degrees and because of the wind, I was able to land it backwards! It still needs some C/G work, but it was too gusty to do much more than screw around. Butch
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:42 AM
Joined Sep 2005
1,064 Posts
Awesome. Got any pics? I'm curious how you managed to break the 10oz barrier.

I wasn't aware that the Stryker flew with any reflex. I fly with hardly any reflex on mine. Maybe that's why you're having to shove the battery all the way forward...

Curious how a 9oz plane can handle winds, eh?
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Jun 15, 2006, 01:27 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I'll post some pics when I get the canopy sanded to shape. I've had to use a bit of reflex in all my wings. I ended up with elevons level with the bottom of the wings.
But it was just too gusty to tell much when I messed with the reflex or batt location. It was gusty enough to blow the plane out of my hand a couple times.
Also I went to a 2" elevon, instead of the 1.5", to get better low speed responce.
It seemed to cut the wind real nice, and I had plenty of power to spare.
Its susposed to warm up a bit so maybe the wind will back off some.

I have a 6oz EPP Cat-style plane that I fly in front of my house in over 10 mph gusty winds. A gust caught it the other day and slamed it into my neighbors front wheelwell on his Honda!! I was ready to break out the glue! But it has no spar in the wing and it just folded around the tire and poped back to shape when I pulled it out! It was fine, so I launched it again!! Butch
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I'd totally forgot about this thread, untill I took it out the other day and was asked by other members if I did a thread on it!! OOPS!
So heres a couple pics. Butch
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:53 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,344 Posts
How did you mount the motor? Couldn't quite tell from the pix.
Very clean looking Stryker. I like the simplicity.

fly
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:32 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I used a "L" shaped piece of carbon fiber and drilled some holes in it to lighten it up and glued it on with the motor lined up with the cord line of the wings airfoil. Butch
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:15 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I've built several Stryker-Lites since the first build.
Its now easy to build one under 10ozs with the electronics we have today.
I'm building this one for a member here.
I'll use a 24g BlueWonder, 1300Kv on a 3 cell, with 2 GWS Naro servos.
I shaved the scoops and lightened it up a bit. I trimed the wing tip down a bit over a inch, to get rid of the last stock hinge pad, as its a weak area and won't take a tumble too well. I also removed the stock wing spars and will add some slight stiffer CF tubes.
For the motor mount, I'm using a CF tube, with a aluminum clamp, glued in lined up with the cord line of the wing.
This time I used "C" foam, from BPHobbies. Its a bit tuffer than regular depron.
The stock elevon is 1.5"s wide for a faster plane, so for this parkflyer, I gave it a 2" elevon to get better low speed maneuverability. I make my own CA hinges from CA stock and notch them with a hole punch to loosen them up a bit.
I had some blue Elapor type foam, like the MicroJet was made from and made a canopy with that. Nice and light, but doesn't ding up as much as EPS foam. Butch
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:00 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
kick ass dude!!
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:28 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Here is how I set the thrust angle on the motor mount composite tube.
I put a pin in the leading and trailing edges, left and right, as close to the cord line as possible, usually the molding lines. I set the plane on 4 equal size blocks.
So what I've done is set the cord line of the wing level with the table.
I drill/cut a hole as close to the center of the cord line and the wing span as possible, checking it on the blocks as I go. Then I insert the composite motor mount tube, with 5minute epoxy. Then I insert a alinement tube or rod that fits the motor mount snugly, a slightly smaller tube with a few wraps of scotch tape to get a snug fit. And then I check to make sure its level with the table while it sets.

Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:28 PM
USA, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2006
154 Posts
I'm very interested....

Thanks for the additional info, Butch.

Any idea how much weight was saved by removing the stock wing spars and replacing with some slightly stiffer CF tubes? Are the tubes the same size?
I read that stock tubes were .156". I would think .125" would be plenty stiff.

What brand of 730mah 3 cell?

Your project is looking great and some lucky member is going to be quite happy.

Thanks again,
Jamie
JamiePhoto is offline Find More Posts by JamiePhoto
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:21 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I don't think there is any weight savings replaceing the wing spars with stiffer ones, because the orginal ones are part spiral wound and bend easier. The stiffer ones weigh about the same.
Weight savings would be shaving more of the fuselage off, using 3mm depron on the elevons and 6 gram servos. And maybe even a 16g outrunner on a 3 cell.

The 730 is a Thunder Power.