HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2006, 05:27 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
Discussion
Modesto's 6th Annual Electric Fun Fly October 22, 2006

Six years ago we had out first Electric Fun Fly and featured World War I model electrics. Year two featured models from World War I & II. Since than it has been more of an open fun fly with an event or feature each hour starting at 10:00. I can tell you that there will be a Reno Racer (Hobby Lobby) Pylon race for one event and the Limbo will return as well as the All Up Last Down with a one minute limited motor run.
Profits from the previous five events have been invested in field improvements and the club now has an irrigated glider landing area for green grass all summer long. This year we hope to get water down to our runway and use water to help improve and smooth out the surface. For a day of fun and a good bar-b-que lunch please come and see our improvements and Fly with Us on Sunday, October 22. Who knows, Snoopy and the Red Baron may have another epic dogfight!
More details will be posted here as we get closer to the event. Michael Heer Fun Fly CD.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:07 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
Well progress has been made in getting ready for this year's Fun Fly. The AMA permit has been obtained and events have been set for the top of every hour. We have 45 minutes of every hour open to pure flun flying with a special event at the top of every hour. At 8:00 we encourage pilots with World War I planes or earlier or just slightly later (Tiger Moths for example) to fill the sky with biplanes. At 9:00 we hope to see lots of World Way II planes especially GWS and Alfa warbirds take to the air. If those hours are too early for you remember that there is open flying for 45 minutes out of every hour so you can fly your warbird all day long. At 10:00 no more Mr. Nice Guy as Modesto challenges the world to beat our pilots! 10:00 kicks off the Fun Competition with Slow Stick Combat. Basic Slow Stick plane with any size electric motor (No small block Chevy's as they are gas powered.). We supply streamers and have it. Remember real aces don't cry. AMA medal and raffle tickets to the winner. 11:00 we have the Great Planes Fun Force WWII Streamer combat. Here we haven't yet decided if you must use the supplied motor that comes with the plane of if you can go brushless for this years combat. That decision will be made by September 1st. Remember only sissys fly high or run away to fight another (yeah sure) day. You say your a speed person and a lover not a fighter? then at high noon show your stuff with a Hobby Lobby Reno Racer and compete in our left turn only 4 lap races. Must have a Hobby Lobby Reno Racer with an AXI 2208 series electric motor to compete. Again the prize is an AMA medal and raffle tickets.
At 12:30 we close the runway for 10 minutes during our Bar-B-Q lunch and pilots vote for their Choice of Best plane of the day. Only requirement is it must be electric and it must fly before the 2:00 raffle to win. The winner announced before the raffle gets an AMA medal and of course raffle tickets.
1:00 is the ever popular Limbo event or shred your plane as it has come to be known. Fly as fast or as slow as you want but you must go under the string or barb wire or whatever it is this year. Winner gets medal and raffle tickets. Losers get to rebuild for next year.
2:00 (After the Raffle) All Up Last Down event with a limited motor run of up to 1 minute at the start of the contest only. CD will compete this year and will buy a soda for anyone/everyone who competes and can stay in the air longer then him. But if they land before him they donate a dollar to the events fund. Profits go to runway improvement this year. Previous year's profits were spent putting in a sprinkler system so we have a green grass landing area for our gliders.
Come join us for a fun day at the Modeto Reservoir on highway 132 about five miles east of Waterford. We will have some shade to share and bring your lawn chair. Help make this our best event ever. When we aren't kicking your butt at the top of the hour we promise to be nice to you for 45 minutes out of every hour. If you think you can beat our butts...prove it!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Aug 11, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2006, 09:52 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
It appears there may be some challenge events at this years Fun Fly. Challenge events occur during Open Flying times and people can keep flying but may be asked to leave a part of the sky for those in the challenge. It appears that mere racing with Reno Racers or just combat with Fun Force planes may not be enough for some of our pilots and there may be challenges to combat Reno Racers (Ed's revenge?) and pylon race Fun Force Fighters. Of course if Greg shows up with Snoopy the Baron will be ready to fight that root beer swilling pup. They had a heck of a dog fight when they last got together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:34 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
5 Great Planes Fun Force Planes ordered for combat

Five of us from the Modesto club have ordered Fun Force Combat planes and they may arrive as soon as today but by early next week for certain. We have two Hellcats coming for two exnavy guys, one zero, one FW-190 and I have a P-51 coming. Our test combat will allow us to determine if we are going to require that the standard geared brushed motor be used that comes with the plane or if we want to allow brushless motors for our Fun Fly.
All will be flown as equipped for our test purposes. This will be a perfect opportunity for us to review these planes here on E-Zone. So if these planes have interested you at all we will have video of our practice combat in a review that will be done before the end of this month. Then the rest of you can decide if you want to join us for combat at our Fun Fly. We are hoping that the performance will be sufficent with the standard geared motor so that we can limit use to that motor as most of us have brushed controllers we aren't using much any more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2006, 09:00 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
We had the first two Fun Force test planes in the air yesterday, a Zero and a Hellcat. They flew very nicely with the standard motors and set for Sport flying on the control throws. The 3D settings are a bit to much and can really slow the planes down. This years fighting at the October Fun Fly will be with standard motors only on the Fun Force Fighters. Our practice combat will hopefully be the first weekend in September.
PS: Although the instructions don't mention it we recommend you rough up the carbon fiber hinges before gluing them in place as we had two elevator panels come loose.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2006, 01:21 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
At Least five club members have completed their Fun Force Fighters and they have plenty of power with the standard geared motor so combat will be limited to the std motor at the Fun Fly on 10/22.
Early Sunday the sky will be filled with biplanes as several club members have recently acquired WWI fighters from Rough and Ready who make Fun Scale planes. We have members with the Dr 1, the Sopwith Camel, the Fokker D VII and a couple of Nieuports for the American Expediantary Force. Of course these planes don't fly like WWI planes unless you want to slow them down. They are capable of vertical climb and are full aerobatic with their brushless motors.
Rumor has it that a couple of old Kevan fighters might make an appeaance as the Red Baron flies his Dr 1 against Snoopy and his Sopwith Pup. See how manueverable two planes can be with rudder/elevator as they will hopefully go at it one more time.
There will even be a new Great Planes S.E.5a Parkflyer flying at the aerodrome. Plus much more so if you like World War I planes be sure to arrive early and see them fill the sky on the 22nd of October.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2006, 03:37 PM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
412 Posts
Hi michael,
My wife & I are planning on coming up from Merced to watch you
guys fly! Trying to get a few of my flying buddys & there wifes to
come along with us. Should be a good time!
BRAD
delsol is offline Find More Posts by delsol
Old Sep 06, 2006, 04:41 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Fun Force

Just maiden flight my Hellcat last weekend.
They are not really much to look at and fly slow, but with the stock motor can do an outside loop from inverted.
Looking at them you'd think they would need the customary brushless upgrade.
Really not necessary.
Last picture is the Fun Force FW-190
These were taken at the Fun Fly site.
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
Well, I'm sad to say that we have some very unthinking folks around here.
The folks at DVRC just posted their notice for the Devil Mountain Fly-in and they have it listed for the same day as the Modesto fly in!

Now, I've always enjoyed the turn out at the devil mtn. events. It's one of the high lights of the year for me. I've already made plans to attend the one in Modesto, even car pooling with a friend or two.
I think it's rude as for the DVRC folks to come along at this late date and split the 'lectric comunity like this. I'm very unhappy.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:47 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,593 Posts
I am not happy about this conflict but we will make the best of it. Look forward to seeing you at our event!
We had our practice combat yesterday for the Fun Force Fighters. I couldn't fly as I was the camera person for the Fun Force review that will soon be out on Ezone. Our three pilots had a lot of fun and the planes are a whole lot of fun with all the acrobatics they can do. I will post some stills tonight of the combat. But look for the video in the reviewnof the Fun Force Combat fighters in about a week or two. These things go together in a night or two and combat with them is a lot of fun. Dust off your Slow sticks as they do battle at 10:00. Compete or just watch the combat. Open flying 45 minutes out of every hour.
Alas: There will be no Snoopy vs Red Baron Dog Fight this year because of the fun fly conflict on the 22nd. Mike Heer CD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:56 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
Not that it'll make any difference to me, but will there be an "open" combat event? I have this old dying Formosa (BL powered) that'd I'd happily sacrifice to the combat gods

I really have to wonder what the folks at DVRC were thinking when they did this, if, that is, they were thinking at all. Too bad too, I'd have rerally enjoyed the Snoopy/Red baron thing. `cest la poo poo...
RobII
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
Well it seems that by pointing out the conflicting dates, and the short comings of last years Devil mtn event, I'm getting slammed by one of the directors. Such unpleasentness, but I guess that makes my choice easier.
I don't want to go to an event where mentioning problems gets you at. Too bad too.
I'm amazed that I've become "The Bad Guy" for pointing out the conflict of dates, the winds last year, and the low-hanging power lines at DVRC.
You'd think folks would want to know the facts, but no, I'm just "trashing their event/site".
I can't post what I think of their attitude without getting in trouble
RobII
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:04 PM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
I posted this earlier on the thread for the Devil Mountain, but thought I would post it here too. Appologies if this is redundant.

I also hate to see scheduling conflicts between events. The Modesto event is a good one and there are lots of good people and great planes there. So let's not do this again next year.

But to set the record straight, I coordinated the scheduling of the event through the Northern California Radio Control Society, which is the local arm of the AMA that coordinates the scheduling of events. It has been on their schedule since at least January 28.

I'm sorry I did not check with the Modesto crew, but electric events are starting to become more common. The NCRCS is the mechanism to avoid this sort of thing.

Don't suppose you would like to move your event to Saturday? We can't.

Chuck
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:25 AM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
Hey Michael,
I'm not familiar w/ the Modesto field. is there a mowed grass landing area?

Hi to Rob(also)
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:52 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
Rob, Dude! Where have you been? I tried calling you for months but never could get through. Did you change your cell or something? Oh well.
I heard you got into jets, moving that way myself. If you do the Modesto show I'll get to see you there. Should be a good time for all.
Um, not to get slammed for knocking DVRC field again, but last year they didn't have grass for landings, paved runway (very nice) but lots of rocks and gravel off to the sides. That may have changed since then though.
From the pix, Modesto looks to be better for belly floppers...
Hope to see you there.
RobII