Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:07 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Siren Hotliner - Thermal?

Looking at the Great Planes Siren Hotliner, I was wonder if anyone has thermaled with this Hotliner

I am looking for a dual purpose model, one I can fly as a relaxing thermal glider and also use it as a Hotliner

I would be using a Brushless setup and Lipo in order to lower the overall weight.

Has anyone Thermaled this Hotliner, or could recommand a hotliner that thermals well

-thanks
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:58 PM
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Mar 2006
736 Posts
I have been flying a Siren for a few months now. It has yet to catch a thermal in Georgia. It is a good entry level warmliner... it is a VERY good starting point to see what you like... then you can progress towards a ship that specializes in doing the type of flying you want to do.

If your looking for a dual purpose machine.. I would look into a Nike 2.

Hope this helps!
sdstick is offline Find More Posts by sdstick
Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:32 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Thaks for the post, If I am going to spend over $200 what about this?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ion.htm

The ION from Hobby lobby
Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:54 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
At the field where I fly, there's three Sirens. I've never seen them indicate lift in a thermal. In fact, they don't seem to do anything very well. There's one Nike 2. It's very aerobatic, but not much at thermal either. I fly a Highlander . A little less expensive but a very nice plane. It's fast enough for me with a Axi 2808/20. It will thermal, but you've got to really work it. When the thermals start, I usually switch to my Gentle Lady. I don't think you're going to find a model that does both hot aerobatics and relaxing thermal.

darrell_f is offline Find More Posts by darrell_f
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:36 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Sep 2004
189 Posts
Its a bit more expensive, but you might also look the Ion from Hobby Lobby.
http://hobby-lobby.com/ion.htm
I've had one for a little over year now and really enjoy it. It glides beautifully, thermals nicely, and is very aerobatic and fast when you want it to be. Its a great choice when you want to have the best of both worlds in one plane. For thermaling though, it has no rudder, so you have to bank a bit more than a traditional soaring plane. Its only symantics though, its still a whole lot of fun to fly!

- Mike
Mike McCormick is offline Find More Posts by Mike McCormick
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:40 AM
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Mar 2006
736 Posts
I think Darrell F is right.... it is really difficult to find that much range in one ship.

I have a Renny for my thermal plane and dearly love it... bought it from North East Sailplane.

I am looking to replace my Siren but still haven't decided what to get. I too like the Ion... but... the new 2006 version is soon to arrive so I guess I will wait and see about that. It has an MH30, a thinned down fuse... a little different leading edge, and a little different winglets. It supposedly does fly better.

I have also strongly considered a Nike 2 and a Micro Flash.

I think where you live plays a role in this as well.... some places have much better thermals then others.
sdstick is offline Find More Posts by sdstick
Last edited by sdstick; Jun 13, 2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 06:28 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The Siren is quite lightly loaded and relatively clean, and as such thermals quite easily. You just have to know how to fly it and read the air. It can't be slowed down as much as a real sailplane, but that applies to most hotliners, and would benefit from a rudder with this kind of flying. The GP folks flew them in the SEFF LMR sailplane contest and had no problems making time.

Better to just buy a strong sailplane if you really want to thermal.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:41 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
thanks for the info so far...

Well this is not an easy choice... I have a Glider, it is the Hobbico Upstar, I have started a thread listing the mods, I have done to the Glider, I have been able to fly this one for 35 minutes as a beginner I think that is decent.

So maybe I would be better to look at a Hotline first and a Thermal glider second, since I have a Decent thermal glider with 10 oz wind loading with BL setup and Lipo.

I like the Siren, and I am not sure why this isn't consider a good Hotliner (Warmliner)?

But I think i will look at this one

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3034

Any info on it?
Last edited by HoverDown3K; Jun 13, 2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 09:22 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The siren is a great FIRST hotliner/warmliner, or a relaxing ship as an addition to a larger fleet. I love mine and fly it a lot, but have many higher quality models as well.

It doesn't hold energy as well as some models, mostly due to it's larger wing, airfoil, and lower weight. It's still a nice model, however..
..a
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:28 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Andy

Out of the two

Siren Hotliner

or

What do you think is a better Hotliner / thermal glider?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:01 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I can't comment as I've not flown the variant, but - it has a 2-piece wing (ease of transport) and a hatch (ease of battery replacement), also looks to be heavier.
..a
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:30 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
A small bit of advice from someone who has embarked on the same search for the "all-rounder" glider: It doesn't exist. But you can get a reasonable compromise. A few things I've learned:

1) Get something with flaps

2) Choose your power system carefully so you can have a heavy battery option and a light battery option. This works well with decent 3s LiPos. For example if you choose a power setup that is on 3s @ 35-40 amps you can put in a 3s2p 4200 pack for speed mode or go to a 3s 2100 pack (of decent cells like ProLites) for thermal mode. The batteries will be loafing in speed mode and pushed hard in thermal mode, but it works. I've found that on 3s a "final Kv" (inlcuding gear ratio) of around 900-1000 works well for this. You can also switch out the prop when you change packs to go from thermal to speed mode.

3) Get something with flaps

Be warned though, you run the risk of ending up with something that you aren't happy with in either mode.
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Jun 13, 2006, 02:32 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Neil

thanks for the advice, I have tossed this around for awhile now and finding smething that does both well is hard, the closest I have found in my Price range is the

Variant III is an improved crossover between sport electric sailplane and hotliner, still ideal for thermal soaring, slope flying or mild aerobatics.

I think this is the one I might end up with...
Old Jun 13, 2006, 04:46 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Self serving, but how about this one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524253
..a
Old Jun 13, 2006, 05:12 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverDown3K
Neil

thanks for the advice, I have tossed this around for awhile now and finding smething that does both well is hard, the closest I have found in my Price range is the

Variant III is an improved crossover between sport electric sailplane and hotliner, still ideal for thermal soaring, slope flying or mild aerobatics.

I think this is the one I might end up with...
Doesn't look to me like it has a rudder. There is mention of it once in the text that the Variant II "can" be used with a rudder, but from the pic it doesn't look like it. And a rudder is very important for thermalling.

I think there are much, much better choices. Andy's Omega is pretty cool I think and would be a better choice. Maybe a little more towards the thermally side than you wanted but a much better sailplane. NES has 1.5m and 2m versions as well that are in your price range. Andy's has flaps though

Whatever you do though make sure you get something with a rudder.
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker