HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:17 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,005 Posts
Discussion
Aero Gloss Dope Thinner?

I've got a bottle of Aerogloss Dope - Clear. I need to thin it 50/50 to paint my PP One Night 28 free flight model. I don't have a hobby shop near me. The jar says to "only use Aerogloss Thinner" with their product.

Anybody know if this is true? Can't I just use some Acetone?

Anything else I can use other than Dope that I can find commonly at the hardware store?

Please post reply!

Thanks,

Scott
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:38 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
Yes, acetone will thin it okay, but depending where you live, if it's a high humidity area then the dope may blush when applied. Blush is to turn white and streaky.

l use thinner from local hardware store, but add a little retarder thinner to slow the mix down, so it does not blush. Retarder available at a good paint shop, or an auto repair paint retailer.

50/50 l find about the right mix too.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jun 13, 2006, 06:22 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
If you're talking acrylic laquer thinners Gossie that's not readily available in many US states thanks to the EPA.

Retarders are available for both nitrate and butyrate dope though. A Google search should help or ask your LHS to order it in.
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:53 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the help guys...

Thanks for your help guys on the subject. I'll try a little Acetone thinned dope on a test area. I'm trying to avoid the 40 mile trip to the hobby shop.
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:40 PM
ir3
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2007
294 Posts
Thinning Aero Gloss Dopes

For what is's worth, if you are able to obtain Methyl Ethyl Ketone in your state (avail. in California) this is the base solvent for Aero Gloss dopes. It is available at most hardware stores. Use in a well ventilated area.

Regards,

IR2
ir3 is offline Find More Posts by ir3
Old Oct 23, 2009, 01:18 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
I have used Sig thinner with Aerogloss with good results. Do a test of whatever thinner you use. I tried to clean Aerogloss clear out of a spraygun with hardware store laccquer thinner, and made grey cloudy jello.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:12 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
If your dope application does cause blushing with white spots brushing on fingernail polish remover afterword will get rid of it.

Kev
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:06 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
Or, just use the finger nail polish remover as the thinner, as it is acetone and tolulene.

Here's a rundown, on the properties of basic solvents:

Aerogloss is tolulene-base. Tolulene works well, as a thinner, but allows blushing, due to its low evaporation point. Acetone is about the same.

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) works well, without blushing, as it has a higher evaporation point. The killer is that the smallest quantity it comes in is 1 gallon.

Hunt around in your area for an EAA chapter. Check with them, for some one that is doing, or has finished, a "tube & fabric" plane. If they are using the Randolph's system, they may have all the thinner, and retarder, you would need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin matthews View Post
If your dope application does cause blushing with white spots brushing on fingernail polish remover afterword will get rid of it.

Kev
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:26 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloScott View Post
. I don't have a hobby shop near me. Scott

There's a Hobby Lobby close to you in Avon, they carry dope and thinner on thier modeling isle.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski