SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:28 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Discussion
Help with my Easy Star

I just got a Multiplex Easy Star the other day... Eventually, I'm going to turn it into an AP plane, but for now, I want to learn how to fly with it.

I'll probably get a Spektrum DX-6 to use for it so I can "grow" into future planes...

I'm going to use the stock 400 motor to learn how to fly with it. I'm really confused about what size pack/type to get for it. I'm figuring I'm going to get a couple nimh packs from cheapbatterypacks.com for it. I'd like to get 20-30 minute run times if possible. Can you recommend a pack size/cell type/cells? Or should I just bite the bullet and invest in lipos now?

In keeping in line with my future plans for the plane, I figure I should buy a more robust ESC now, one that can run lipos and a brushless motor down the road. Again, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for you advice! I've been trudging through the several Multiplex threads on this website, but it's so HUGE and I haven't seen anything mentioned about AP on the plane yet...
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:13 AM
Its true... A MAN CAN FLY
Townsville, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
If you get a brushed ESC now, you will not be able to use it witha brushless motor later. I recommend you get a brushless motor (Himax maybe) and a brushless ESC right from the start so you can have more power when you start APing. More expense maybe but you'll only have to get it later. A 3cell lipo and a 25amp ESC is the go. You'll also neee to budget for a lipo charger. Nimh/ nicad chargers dont charge lipos.
Good luck
2lakea is offline Find More Posts by 2lakea
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:54 AM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,366 Posts
LSF,

Take heed to 2L's reply, as charging a lipo pack with ANYTHING other than a charger rated for charging lipos can AND WILL cause a fire and/or explosion! While purchasing a lipo charger, also assure that you have the means to keep each cell of a lipo pack "balanced", which is to see that each cell is maintained at the same level. There are separate charge balancers (Dual Sky Cell Balancer, etc.) that can be used with non-balancing chargers (Triton for example).

As 2lakea mentioned, having extra power during the learning phase is a good thing..........there will be times when you need that extra power to get you out of trouble. On a windy, gusty day that extra power is a blessing while coming in on final approach for landing. Good luck on each step of the way and best regards.

Larry
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:04 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I will be investing in a brushless/lipos earlier than I thought.

I have been flying with a cheapie Aero Ace and it is a lot of fun, however, the lack of power (and elevator) has gotten me into trouble already...

I was already thinking of getting the Triton because I've read such good things about it. Are there other chargers out there with built in balancing that are better or should I get the triton and a balancer separately?

Any suggestions for a brushless motor?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:09 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Not sure if you can get them in the states, but I use a "Bell" brushless motor on my EZ... I brought this motor with a Speed Controller (combined) for 20 UK pounds (around 40 dollars I think).

I brought it from www.robotbirds.com.

I personally have a EOS 5 charger from Hyperion (again from robotbird) and a Hyperion Balancer separately (allows me to balance off charge). The Charger was around 50 UK Pounds (100 dollars) and the balancer 25 UK Pounds (around 50 dollars).

Edit:- Forgot to say I use my EZ with a 7x6 prop (with a slot cut in the tail - and a 6mm carbon rod under the slot for strength) and a 3S 2100 Mah Lipo. The setup like this pulls around 14-16 Amps.

Hope that gives you some info and helps a bit,

Terry.
chargenut is online now Find More Posts by chargenut
Last edited by chargenut; Jun 12, 2006 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added Prop, battery and Amps draw info.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 02:28 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Brushless on a stickmount in a foam plug in the original motor position works nicely. Allows a bit more weight in the nose area with the motor a bit further back. And with the motor in pusher configuration your chances of trashing the motor in a crash are slim, so the additional expense of the brushless is well worth it. Make sure you put something on which can generate about 100 Watts of power (or more; never too much power unless the weight of the batteries starts to exceed the carrying capacity of the model ;=)) on 3S Lipo's. Certainly with the additional weight of the camera you want something in that range. For the bare EZ* you could do with less, but that would be money down the drain.

The Spectrum DX6 doesn't have a lot of range, unless I'm mistaken. That might be a bit of a limitation for your AP plans. Isn't the range in the order of 600 feet or so. If that is guaranteed range with could receipt it might still be OK. I'm sure I regularly fly my EZ* or SlowStick well beyond 200 meters / 600 feet away though. Altitude wise it should be OK, although I-m sure I also get close to that height on occassion. But once you start circling, looking up at about a 30-45 degree angle and are flying somewhere in the 100-150 meter range the direct line distance starts getting critically close or past the specs. Or am I mistaken here?
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:19 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
Terry,

I assume that you are using the 15amp ESC and motor from Robotbirds http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=888 . Am I correct?

Do you think that is a major step up from the Speed 400? I have heard that some cheap brushless motors are not that much better than brushed ones.

Thanks
Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:35 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Richard,

I think mine may have been a 12A ESC as I got mine a LONG time ago before I believe they went up to the 15A ESC. I've flown mine for quite a while and have another two of these motors in a TwinStar, admitedly one of the Twinny motors has destroyed its bearings, but I put that down to my not initially balancing the prop and therefore shaking the hell out of the motor.

As for power against 400 size Motors.... well... my brother has a standard EZ and I've flown it a few times... I find it flies, but that's about it... it's sedate and gentle and forgiving... but can't be climbed rapidly and will stall if pushed too hard in a climb, which I suppose to a beginner (like my brother) is fine (gentle climbs and gentle turns are the order of the day).

On the other hand, my EZ all up with a 200g P1 camera on board climbs out at about a 40 deg angle and keeps on going... it's powerful... far far more so than a 400 direct drive.

I guess I don't know about other Budget BL motors but I know that the Bell ones are good and I'll buy another when this one gives up the ghost... after all for about 10 quid... how can I go wrong?

Hope that helps,

Terry.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
Terry,

Thanks for the info. I have just ordered a 15 amp deal and a 6x5.5 APC prop + adaptor.

This Internet shopping is far to easy isn't it?

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:40 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Hi Richard...

Yes internet shopping is FAR too easy...

No problem on the info... Happy to help... maybe I should ask for commission from RB as their sale rep on RCGroups!!! I have recommended these motors before for someone with a stock Twinny.

Regardless of all that, if you've flown an EZ on the stock motor and then try this Bell motor... believe me you'll notice the difference... bear in mind that my Amp draw figures are on a 7x6 prop (it was about the same on the original 8x4.3 I tried as well).

Good luck with the fit and let me know how it goes... either here or via PM.

Oh yes one other thing... my motor came with a Bulkhead/firewall mount, whereas I have heard that they now come with a stick mount, either way you should be able to rig something up in the existing 400 CAN sized opening for the motor to mount on.

Keep us posted...

Terry.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:47 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur P.
Brushless on a stickmount in a foam plug in the original motor position works nicely. Allows a bit more weight in the nose area with the motor a bit further back. And with the motor in pusher configuration your chances of trashing the motor in a crash are slim, so the additional expense of the brushless is well worth it. Make sure you put something on which can generate about 100 Watts of power (or more; never too much power unless the weight of the batteries starts to exceed the carrying capacity of the model ;=)) on 3S Lipo's. Certainly with the additional weight of the camera you want something in that range. For the bare EZ* you could do with less, but that would be money down the drain.
Arthur, thanks so much for the info! Now I know what to look for, something with 100 watts or more!

Quote:
The Spectrum DX6 doesn't have a lot of range, unless I'm mistaken. That might be a bit of a limitation for your AP plans. Isn't the range in the order of 600 feet or so. If that is guaranteed range with could receipt it might still be OK. I'm sure I regularly fly my EZ* or SlowStick well beyond 200 meters / 600 feet away though. Altitude wise it should be OK, although I-m sure I also get close to that height on occassion. But once you start circling, looking up at about a 30-45 degree angle and are flying somewhere in the 100-150 meter range the direct line distance starts getting critically close or past the specs. Or am I mistaken here?
It was my understanding after reading the thread about it in the radio forum that is is supposed to have the best range when compared to 27hz and 72mhz radios. Can anyone else confirm this?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:53 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Richard,

Forgot to say... see this post for a video of my EZ flying around... gives some idea of power... bear in mind though that the plane was quite nose heavy in this configuration which I think stopped me getting the nose high enough... Still not lacking in power though with all that stuff out in the airflow.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529123

Terry.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...?number=335393

Saw this today, what do you think?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 05:23 AM
Psalm 37:4
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
206 Posts
The Spectrum DX6 doesn't have a lot of range.......Is a FACT!! My DX6 quit at 1500 feet line-of-sight, on the first flight. I would not recommend this radio for AP unless you plan to fly within 1000 feet in any direction.
HawkHunter is offline Find More Posts by HawkHunter
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkHunter
The Spectrum DX6 doesn't have a lot of range.......Is a FACT!! My DX6 quit at 1500 feet line-of-sight, on the first flight. I would not recommend this radio for AP unless you plan to fly within 1000 feet in any direction.
We, Newbrian and I, have no problem with range. We have flown at distances (and Brian at altitudes of 3,000 feet) of more than 3,000 feet on several ocations. Did you have the antenna pointing at your plane? Always have the antenna at 90*.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Last edited by California Condor; Jun 13, 2006 at 11:35 AM.