HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2006, 06:04 AM
Joined Jun 2006
107 Posts
Discussion
'Thinking about a Honey Bee II FP. I've never flown anything...

... But; I might be willing to give it a try. At first; I posted on the regular heli electric group. Then; I was pointed this way.

Steve mentioned a flight time of around 6-8 minutes. With the stock set up, how long does recharging take?

I'm going to do some more looking around here. But; I appreciate any input, and suggestions.

Thanks!

- Greg
Greg H. is offline Find More Posts by Greg H.
Last edited by Greg H.; Jun 10, 2006 at 06:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2006, 06:51 AM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Hi again greg now we are in the right group. I also own a few micros.

The Hbee FP is one of the best low cost micro helis to learn with. I'd stick with the FP through learning FFF. Others will say just go CP2. Nice thing about the correct forum is there will be a diversity of info, to choose from.

If you look up at the top of this forum you'll see some "stickies". The EHBG is a must read to get some idea of what you are doing.

This will give you a good notion of how to learn and a better idea of what is involved.

The packaged equipment often changes with the RTF (ready to fly (Fix?)) so best I recall about 2hrs. With any RTF you get what you need to get started. To keep the price down you don't get much fluff. No problem there as they are inexpensive. You can always get better gear as you go. ie if you get more packs the bottle neck will be charging, so you get a better charger and you can charge 1 pack in 30mins while charging another on the original.

Best to get the heli and not go hog wild buying stuff until you know what you need and where you are going. Reading the various threads here will help. Most every type of heli has an "owners thread" http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458261 is the one for the heli you are interested in.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Jun 10, 2006, 07:50 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,665 Posts
Hi Greg. Steve has some very good information here. The esky products are very good. Another option is the dynam 300. I just bought one RTF for $109 at BP Hobbies and so far it has proven to be very stable after a few adjustments. Even though they say "RTF" you will need to tweak no matter what you buy. Read these forums and you will learn a lot. Welcome and happy flying!
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Jun 10, 2006, 09:18 AM
Huntsville, TX.
Joined May 2006
394 Posts
go for the honeybee fp.

the wife and I are learning this thing together. we are on our 3rd day and this thing can take a punishment. be sure to order some extra landing skids as they will break.

brian
bhbuster is offline Find More Posts by bhbuster
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:30 AM
Joined Jun 2006
107 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys! Did I mention that I am a 52 year old Kid??!! Oh yeah! I was actually getting ready to add a new scope to my Ruger .22 target pistol, and I a buddy of mine at work got one of those very cool little helicopters at Wal-Mart that go round and round for $10.00. We started talking, and it turns out he has a couple of larger nitro copters, too.

So; I started looking around online, and discovered the Honey Bee II. I figure for around $100, it might be a big time! Currently; I have about $90.00 in my Mad Money Stash!

One thing, I do want to be careful of is not going too crazy, too fast! A couple of years ago, a bunch of us got into 1:10 scale electric touring cars, and I spent a fortune. We were going to join the local club and race on Sundays. But; then, I was about the only one that wanted to commit to it. What we did was fun, racing in the parking lot at work. But; I was getting tired of spending money 'constantly' to keep it running. So; I sold everything, as did everyone else.

Now; this copter thing seems pretty cool. And; the fact that you can fly these indoors is appealing, too.
Last edited by Greg H.; Jun 10, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:56 AM
Huntsville, TX.
Joined May 2006
394 Posts
look for the hb fpII owners gather around thread. you will pick up a lot of info on this helicopter.

I have found that the stock battery will last a lot longer when you are just bunny hopping around the yard. The stock battery has certainly outlasted my nerves so far...
bhbuster is offline Find More Posts by bhbuster
Old Jun 11, 2006, 06:38 AM
Joined Jun 2006
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbuster
look for the hb fpII owners gather around thread. you will pick up a lot of info on this helicopter.

I have found that the stock battery will last a lot longer when you are just bunny hopping around the yard. The stock battery has certainly outlasted my nerves so far...
Thanks guys!
Old Jun 11, 2006, 08:53 PM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H.
One thing, I do want to be careful of is not going too crazy, too fast! A couple of years ago, a bunch of us got into 1:10 scale electric touring cars, and I spent a fortune. We were going to join the local club and race on Sundays. But; then, I was about the only one that wanted to commit to it. What we did was fun, racing in the parking lot at work. But; I was getting tired of spending money 'constantly' to keep it running. So; I sold everything, as did everyone else.

Now; this copter thing seems pretty cool. And; the fact that you can fly these indoors is appealing, too.
You don't want to buy a heli then. these things are more addicting then crack! Any kind of crack!
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:55 PM
Joined Nov 2004
22 Posts
No kidding. My initial investment of $100 has doubled. My LHS carries few parts for micro helicopters, so I've had to order online anytime I break something. And then I wait. And get impatient. And convince myself "Its not broken that badly, go ahead and fly it!". And then something else breaks. Back to ordering parts. *Sigh* Why have you deserted me, Self Control?

Truly, they are a ton of fun though. I just hate having to wait a week if I crash and break parts.
cje2000 is offline Find More Posts by cje2000
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:08 AM
I <3 Windy Days
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
216 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input, guys! Did I mention that I am a 52 year old Kid??!! Oh yeah! I was actually getting ready to add a new scope to my Ruger .22 target pistol, and I a buddy of mine at work got one of those very cool little helicopters at Wal-Mart that go round and round for $10.00. We started talking, and it turns out he has a couple of larger nitro copters, too.

So; I started looking around online, and discovered the Honey Bee II. I figure for around $100, it might be a big time! Currently; I have about $90.00 in my Mad Money Stash!

I got out of racing 1:10 electric touring cars for the same reason, they are just too expensive!! i now stick to a slower form of rc car racing... drifting! you defenitely break less parts going sideways, slower than fowards at break neck speeds!

Oh, and i also got an FP2, its awesome

If you have self control you will hold off buying any bling bling and going brushless or separates for a while. but dont count on it this hobby is addictive
adamkerrnz is offline Find More Posts by adamkerrnz
Old Sep 07, 2007, 06:06 PM
The Future is Here Today
Kansas City
Joined Jan 2007
306 Posts
Removed msg as dated material.
jdunn9 is offline Find More Posts by jdunn9
Old Sep 08, 2007, 11:14 AM
Joined Sep 2007
27 Posts
Quote:

Anyone who goes into the RC world then cannot come out again. This hobby will make you cough up all you have in your wallet. Hope you become a happy pilot of the FP004.
john00254 is offline Find More Posts by john00254
Old Nov 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
The Future is Here Today
Kansas City
Joined Jan 2007
306 Posts
Quote:
... But; I might be willing to give it a try. At first; I posted on the regular heli electric group. Then; I was pointed this way.

Steve mentioned a flight time of around 6-8 minutes. With the stock set up, how long does recharging take?

I'm going to do some more looking around here. But; I appreciate any input, and suggestions.

Thanks!

- Greg
Well there youngster, I'm older than you and I love this stuff. But as already stated, these things are addicting and can get to be very expensive. I don't know if you would want to fly the FP2 inside, the head speed is enough to do some serious damage to household items, and unless you can control the Heli really well, which as a newbie I doubt you can, better fly outside for now. If you want something to fly inside and to learn orientatation and basic flight, then a coaxial (Upper and lower blades and no tail rotor) heli would be a better first heli. Check out the Lama's and Blade CX2's. The Lama's you get get in your price range. I started this hobby about a year ago and already have over two grand sunk into it. ($800.00 alone in a T-Rex 450 which I don't even have put together yet). To give you an idea, so far I have bought 3 BCX2's, 2 HBFP2's (One modded to fly with my DX7 Rx (2.4Mhz), 3 HBFP2 barebones kits (For parts), 1 Walkera 22E (Never flown), An Apache 64, 1 Slow Flyer Airplane, 1 multi purpose charger, 1 DX7 Rx, lots of battery packs and the RealFlight G3.5 Flight Sim for practicing. I tell you though, it's worth every nickle. Good luck and happy flying....
jdunn9 is offline Find More Posts by jdunn9
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:16 AM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn9
Well there youngster, I'm older than you and I love this stuff. But as already stated, these things are addicting and can get to be very expensive. I don't know if you would want to fly the FP2 inside, the head speed is enough to do some serious damage to household items, and unless you can control the Heli really well, which as a newbie I doubt you can, better fly outside for now. If you want something to fly inside and to learn orientatation and basic flight, then a coaxial (Upper and lower blades and no tail rotor) heli would be a better first heli. Check out the Lama's and Blade CX2's. The Lama's you get get in your price range. I started this hobby about a year ago and already have over two grand sunk into it. ($800.00 alone in a T-Rex 450 which I don't even have put together yet). To give you an idea, so far I have bought 3 BCX2's, 2 HBFP2's (One modded to fly with my DX7 Rx (2.4Mhz), 3 HBFP2 barebones kits (For parts), 1 Walkera 22E (Never flown), An Apache 64, 1 Slow Flyer Airplane, 1 multi purpose charger, 1 DX7 Rx, lots of battery packs and the RealFlight G3.5 Flight Sim for practicing. I tell you though, it's worth every nickle. Good luck and happy flying....
This thread is almost 3 years old. Just thought I would point that out.
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
Registered human
Oslo, Norway
Joined Nov 2007
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn
This thread is almost 3 years old. Just thought I would point that out.
Has it really been 3 years since June 10th, 2006? I must be living in the past...
agjell is offline Find More Posts by agjell