HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:24 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Discussion
Don't you just love fresh Pizza?

I just went out and got a few flights with my new GWS Pizza. For now I have my Apache 20-22t and prolite 1320 3s lipos.

Woo Hoo!! I had forgot how much fun these are! I have the throws cranked to 125% and it rolls and loops like crazy. Waaaaay overpowered but I am not complaining! I am all .

I had several hundred flights on my old Pizza and had a good time with it.

I used some wing tape from Mountain Models to add some contrast. It is verry easy to see.

I can climb straight up and roll while picking up speed at 1/2 throttle and keep going till it is almost out of sight.

Cant wait till tomorrow!
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:29 PM
Minnesota
Joined Aug 2005
100 Posts
Half blue cheese and half chedder. What? no pepperoni?
coyote223 is offline Find More Posts by coyote223
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:33 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Nah, No pepperoni. It gives new meaning to the term slimmer....

I hate the pizza decals but love the way it performs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2006, 04:53 AM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Pizzas and Easy Bugs

Two of us got these planes recently(waaay marked down at LHS) and are having a blast with 'em.I got the Easy Bug and used an E-Flite 370 outrunner and 10X7 prop on 2 cells to power it.It gets alot of positive comments at the field...and I think I'm gonna use it for the club fun fly today.I'll try to get a few pics later...
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Old Jun 10, 2006, 06:31 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Should work great for the fun fly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2006, 05:30 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
Pizzas rock..

Yep,we fly these on occasion... these planes(?)seem to baffle the conventional glow type R/C people,they watch in amazement as it takes off in under a foot and will turn/roll/loop as fast as you can move the stick.Rich used a geared Razor and 2 cell pack for his Pizza,I guess he don't like the pepperoni/mushroom decals either...he made his into a smiley face.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Last edited by dulcet; Jul 02, 2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 06:55 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
They sure are tough to beat bang for the buck aren't they? A blast to fly and no fear of detroying an expensive plane!

Ileave the landing gear off of mine now. It hand launchs so easy and I can land pretty close to myself I no longer bother with the gear. And they fly a lot better with out the gear!

Would be a great plane for dogfight I think!
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2006, 08:59 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Went out for a quick flight or two this morning. Flew out one pack and towards the end of the second pack I decided to bring the plane in and land.

For some reason I went ahead and came home. A few minutes later the wind pick up and it started thundering and lightning and then rain! Talk about timing!

Fun flying but I quit at the right time!
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:06 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I was noticing today that my Pizza is fairly loud when flying. It has a distinct buzz almost like a small glow motor. Not as high a pitch as a glow motor though.

I am wondering if it might be a combination of the prop being close to the leading edge of the "wing" and a resonance of the foam.

It is way overpowered with the brushless outrunner I have on it. And I am sure that is making it worse.

When I had my first Pizza it started out stock and I don't remember it being loud.

Anyone else notice theirs being loud?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:52 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Maybe a change of name....

I think I might need to change the name of my GWS Pizza to Storm Chaser or something like that. I just HAD to fly and we had already had a quick storm.

Looked calm outside so I grabbed it and headed out to fly. Put a fresh pack in ( on?) and turned everything on and checked the wiggle. Everything wiggled the right way so I throttled up and launched. Right now it has a Himax 2808-980 on it. I was climbing up at around 70 degrees or so ( love brushless power) and did a couple of quick rolls on the way up.

I noticed it was not picking up speed as fast as normal. About the same time I noticed a nice breeze blowing in my face. Well that breeze picked up and pretty soon I could hear the flags behind me snapping in the breeze.

I ended up going to about 80% throttle and it was flying pretty well. But you sure could tell the wind was picking up.

It didn't take long and the wind was blowing real well and it was starting to rain with the odd flash of lightening and boom of thunder. I flew for around 15 minutes with the weather like this then it started raining harder and I was worried about getting my DX6 wet.
So I shut down the motor and came gliding in for a nice smooth landing. I held down elevon to keep it on the ground till I could pick it up.

Grabbed it. Flipped it over and unplugged the pack and turned off the transmitter and made a dash for the car.

It was fun but I was glad to have the little antenna mast on the transmitter!

Other then having to use almost full power to pentrate the wind the plane flew great in the wind/Tstorm!
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:00 AM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,090 Posts
Anyone have any videos of this thing in action, all I've seen are the half hovering videos that are years old on the GWS site. I've never seen them spinning and rolling as you guys are mentioning, I'd love to see that..

They sure look fun!
mattk0 is online now Find More Posts by mattk0
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:02 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
They are great no fear low cost fun! I wish I had a video camera. I have the elevons set up to move as far as they can. It will loop in less the its own length and will roll pretty well.
I have even managed a couple of crude rolling circles.
For the money you can't go wrong!
Even with the stock set up they fly good. And better if you leave off the landing gear.

Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:53 PM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
My EasyBug is :)

I had mine out last night and flew out 3 packs.I use the E-Flite 370 outrunner on 2 cells with 10X8 GWS HD prop,about 78 watts for 10 ozs AUW.It does get alot of attention at the field,I can get it to do all the usual manuvers... had it doing a weird inverted flatspin and a few outside loops.I kept the gear on mine to shoot T&Gs with it...low and slow is where it really shines.
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:04 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
I like the landing gear also ...hover it around really slow at around a 75 degree angle and chop the throttle ..it just settles in from almost upright to the landing gear...I like to take it along with my heli's just to impress the kid's that watch me fly...I do like mine alot better with brushless setup and as Wes stated , I like full or more throws on the control surfaces....good luck and good flying ...Tom
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall