HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2006, 08:05 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Discussion
What do you think of the Quiet Flyer SEFF 2006 supplement

I think it should have included more flavor of the event. There was only one page mentioning the event as a whole, and most all of the other 31 pages contained aircraft flown by sponsors.

Most everyone that attended SEFF already saw what has been published in this issue of Quiet Flyer, so what about this special issue would interest those that could not attend?

There were no photos of the Fayette Flyers crew, Mac Hodges, The LMR sailplane event (or winners), no photos of the Bar-B-Que or the Texas Holdem Poker event (what event)? I thought I would see alot more of what actually took place, hoping to consider this supplement a souvenir, but it looks like a color illustrated catalog if you asked me

I am not starting a flame thread, just a give your opinion thread, I'll bet none of this event shows up in the AMA Magazine under the division reports
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2006, 04:50 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I don't subscribe (used to look forward to my S&E modeler mags, but cancelled when they switched format) so I can't say I'm surprised, but am dissapointed. We didn't do a SEFF column for RCG this year (I wasn't asked) so I wonder if anyone will have a decent writeup.
.. or I wonder, with forums such as these for near-real-time coverage, if they're even needed any more?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 11, 2006, 06:43 AM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Lots of views but no replies...
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Jun 14, 2006, 07:53 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,896 Posts
I just got mine and do appreciate the effort that QF puts into the publication insert. It was however basically a Horizon ad (who is a major SEFF sponsor) and I can appreciate that as they (horizon) are also a major sponsor of QF (I also have FP ads in QF) but...... I would have liked to see more of the "Flavor" of the event in all of those expensive full color pages. Hey I was a SEFF sponsor too with lots of free stuff gave away to pilots and friends this year (badge holders and Koozies) and where was my picture? I am much better looking than Jeff and he had his photo posted

The Crew that puts on this event should be commended for their efforts. This and the pilot population attending is what makes the event happen and is what makes this thing so popular. I can only hope that the readers of the mag are somehow sent to see the vast amount of photos that are posted here in the SEFF threads and can plan on attending the event next year. I am already looking forward to it!

Cliff Whitney
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:23 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Ditto on the comments about the supplement being little more than a Horizon and HL catalog.

Nothing against Horizon and HL, but there WERE many other vendors represented there who contribute a lot to this hobby, and they deserve some PR and recognition too.

Since space in the supplement is so limited, I think the photos should be limited to one shot per plane (unless it's something really spectacular). Also, do we really need a two-page centerfold spread of just one airplane? That seems a gross waste of precious photo space to me. It would be more fair (IMHO) to make most of the photos smaller, so more people's planes, booths or whatever can make it into the supplement.

The event is now big enough that it almost needs its own dedicated magazine issue to adequately cover it all. Since that isn't likely to happen, trying to 'spread the wealth' a little better WRT the photo coverage might be better appreciated and received by both the attendees and the readership.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick