SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:28 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
A few MM Cessna 180 construction ideas

Hi gang!

I've come across these very minor suggestions through quite a bit of flying. While these might not make sense at all to those of you not building the kit, they'll be clear to those of you that are. These are OK'd by Doug, also, so here goes:

Put music wire at both ends of the wing struts, and not just the fuselage end. This will prevent the inevitable "snap" when they break out of the wing. I've flown mine this way since the beginning and have yet to have one come out in flight

Loosely mount the balsa gear legs to the wire landing gear. Eg, use heatshrink that is slightly oversized and not shrunk. I've had mine come off from repeated touch and goes. You will want to either use some of the clear plastic from the windshield sheet or some covering to "hinge" mount the balsa leg at the fuselage end.

That's all I have so far but will keep watch for anything else that catches my eye.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2002, 05:19 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

What about the float add-on modification? Should there be something added during construction of the fuse to receive the rear gear mount or does a doubler need to be added? I was thinking to add a small tube of some sort to slide in the rear wires and perhap use a small rubber band to hold them in the tube. I like the light weight approach you did with the tape but I would like to design into the build-up some thing to hold the float mount.

Thanks once again,
Palmettoflyer
Palmettoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Palmettoflyer
Old Jul 22, 2002, 09:00 AM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,170 Posts
Dreamer,how are your wing struts attached?I haven't seen a kit yet.I just make a tab out of ca hinge material and glue it into each end of the strut.They fit into slots in the wing and fuse .I've never had on come off.The trouble with something strong like music wire is that it'll likely tear up something else in the event of a mishap

On the gear fairings I just glue them to the legs down at the wheel only.That way the leg can still flex on landings.I dont glue them to the fuse at all.

On the float mounts,I assume the landing gear legs still fit into holes made by sandwiching 3 formers together? If this is the case,you could just duplicate this on the rear former and slip the rear float mounts into them.Thats what I plan on mine.
DBlum is offline Find More Posts by DBlum
Old Jul 22, 2002, 09:08 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Dave, all three of your points are brilliant. The kit instructs you tou glue the struts onto the wing and have music wire on the fuselage end. I just added the wire on both ends and have it sticking out 1/4".

Good call on the landing gear leg, too. I'll be doing that!

The float mounts are a bit unique. The front gear legs are the same as on wheels, as they're glued in. The rear mount is a small chunk of balsa and light ply (about 3/4" by 1/2") glued underneath the appropriate rear former on the outside of the fuse, and the wires from the rear float legs coming up and screwing to that. If I were to make it go inside the fuse, I would have had to do that during construction. I may still tear a few things apart so I can put the re-enforcement inside the fuse such that it's hidden.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 09:11 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's the only picture I've got of the float mounts, and this was before a few modifications. I added the balsa layer underneath this light ply, and strapped the two legs together with thread and thin CA such that the bends are about 3/4" apart, thus straddling the (now trimmed) light ply piece. Any thoughts on a post-construction internal float leg mount, Dave?
Old Jul 22, 2002, 03:25 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
Dreamer,

The coolest setup I have seen for attaching the wing struts is to use a pair of the small Dubro pinned hinges on either end of the strut. Imbed one hinge half in the wing and glue the other to the strut. Same goes for the fuselage. The struts simply pin in place. Looks and works very, very, slick.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Jul 22, 2002, 03:59 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
That's how I'm doing the struts on my Cub. However, since time's a-wastin' taking the wing on and off for battery installation/removal, I like the speed of the wires.

Martin
Old Aug 13, 2002, 08:20 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
Elevator Mods

Hi Guys!

While preping my elevator for covering I thought the joiner between the 2 halves might be a very weak link. I added a small piece of 1/32 wire bent as shown in the picture to make sure both sides of my elevator will always elevate! This might not be required but felt like I would rather do it now than wish I had done it later.

Palmettoflyer
Old Aug 13, 2002, 08:24 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
Wire laid on top for positioning
Old Aug 13, 2002, 08:29 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
Mark the hole location and then use a straight pin to start the holes. Then enlarge the hole with a larger pin or tiny drill bit. Be carefull to keep it straight.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 08:31 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
rough up the wire with sandpaper and insert into holes. CA in place.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 08:33 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
Sand a tiny relief in the hing line for the wire thickness.

Has anyone had any experience comments on this?

Thanks,
Palmettoflyer
Old Aug 13, 2002, 08:54 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
I find it much easier, and quicker, to harden the balsa linking the two elevator halves with thin CA - never had an "elevation" problem.

Thanks for the tip.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Aug 13, 2002, 08:59 AM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
Both good ideas...aa strip of carbon fiber might work good also... .

Bob
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Oct 20, 2002, 05:50 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
Dreamer,

Could you elaborate (or provide pix) on the music wire/strut idea? I am looking for some creative ways to add wing struts to a Mini Piper but still be able to remove the wing if/when needed.

I like the Dubro hinge idea later in this thread, but wanted to hear more of your idea, too.

Thank you,
David J.
DavidJ is offline Find More Posts by DavidJ