SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:09 PM
Middleboro, Ma.
Joined Mar 2006
7 Posts
Discussion
Yes another top flite giant P47 build

To all you experienced builders, HELP!!!!. and to the rest like me please follow along for the ride and we can learn together.

I have been following several of the other builds here but it can be difficult to sort thru over 1500 posts in 1 alone

This is my first full build from a kit. I chose the Top Flite Giant P47 for several reasons.
From all that I have read the final product is a less difficult to fly and especially land than other giant war birds.
Here in the northeast wind is a constant, hence bigger planes. And It will be a LOT easier to see.
Plus what I see as a less complicated airframe to build with larger pieces for my large mitts and older eyes to see.
The kit has been around for a while and others have had the opportunity to work out any bugs and recommend modifications for improvements.
Cost. Always a factor when I honestly consider my flying skills. Perhaps by the time the plane is finished my flying ability will have had the chance to improve. The Kit seems to be the least expensive part of the project at $220. Robart retract setup 350/400., rcvr and servos 300/400, Gas engine 350+ , fiberglass cowl and widgets 100 and then all the assembly materials and misc. ?+?. And then the price of the time involved+++. So for 1,500+ it would be a big waste not to ask for help.
My goal with this project is to build a solid, good flying and good looking model. I am not looking to build an aerobatic hi speed bullet or something that would win first place for scale accuracy. At least not at this point.

here is a list of considerations as they dart in and out of my mind

Engine considerations. The recommendation is for a US41. The only place I have found them is in the want adds. I have not been able to find a web page for US. I have read many posts where the engine of choice is a ZENOAH G62. I prefer to stay with a gasser simply for the lack of slime and cost. I love the look of the radials but they are a bit steep for the wallet. So something that is from a current reputable manufacturer that will perform well but have enough power left over to pull it out of trouble.

Finish will be painted glass. Airbrush yes. bubbly wrinkly plastic film no.
I have decided to build the razorback version. Is there a canopy other or better than the offering from TF? I found a cowl at fiberglass specialties along with a couple of other items.

retracts Robart 62247 mains and Robart 160WC retrct tail wheel

servos? JR Tx and Rx. ,,,,,,,,,,

I have ordered the kit (box of sticks) and it is on it's way. I have not ordered any other parts as of yet . I am hoping that your assistance will help me to make the correct purchases the first time.
I am open for all positive assistance on this project (obsession).
Thanks, Paul
pand9 is offline Find More Posts by pand9
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:30 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
Paul, I have not built this particular bird but, if I were, I'd strongly consider the G-62 for up front. The 62 is relatively cheap for it's size, it's reliable to a fault, and it's heavy. (You'll need the nose weight) I flew a 31 pound Byron Corsair around on a G-62 for what must have been close to 100 flights. It had more than ample power and I don't think I ever touched the needle after the first flight. For retracts I'd certainly go with the Robarts for their reliability, price, and availability. I've never had a bad set of giant scale gear from them. Sourcing a good canopy may be a problem. You might take a look at the offering from Aerotech Models, although their Jug is a bit smaller if I'm not mistaken. Jugs are great flyers, you won't be dissappointed. Happy building!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 04, 2009, 10:33 AM
I Just Need This One Part
Cartersville, Georgia
Joined Jun 2002
431 Posts
I have a build thread on this bird on RC Scale Builder.com
here is the link to the Top Flite Section. My build is under the same screen name JChas26. I just got my airframe up except I am installing my retracts and sheeting the wing bottoms. So far I am about 800 in the hole! I m doing the bubble top in fiberglass and flitemetal. I plan on a fully detail cockpit, siding canopy, retracts, and mill aluminum wheels. Send me an email and I can send you a VERY detailed instrument panel file I made. That sucker took me 2 months to research and make! it has everything down to the manufacturers logos on the individual instruments though.
Jchas26 is offline Find More Posts by Jchas26
Old Jan 04, 2009, 11:27 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,386 Posts
I'll be rebuilding one shortly. I'll second the G62. It has the weight you'll need plus it's an easy to run and maintain engine. Once you get it going there is little you need to do it each time. You shoudl be able to pick up a decent used one for under $300 if you look around.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2009, 12:34 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
What did you chose to go with as its been over two years... I just bought one of these and a G62 is the way to go for sure!
demire is offline Find More Posts by demire
Old Jan 07, 2009, 07:25 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchas26
I have a build thread on this bird on RC Scale Builder.com
here is the link to the Top Flite Section. My build is under the same screen name JChas26. I just got my airframe up except I am installing my retracts and sheeting the wing bottoms. So far I am about 800 in the hole! I m doing the bubble top in fiberglass and flitemetal. I plan on a fully detail cockpit, siding canopy, retracts, and mill aluminum wheels. Send me an email and I can send you a VERY detailed instrument panel file I made. That sucker took me 2 months to research and make! it has everything down to the manufacturers logos on the individual instruments though.
I would appreciate a copy of the instrument panel file. pm sent.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps