HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 05, 2002, 06:51 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
In the worst case scenario, you'd be working between two chunks of covering and you'd have to precision cut your patch. However, in this case I can leave it slightly wide. However, I make sure the edges are 90 degrees (or whatever is appropriate) and as perfect as I can get them. I ended up swapping around this chunk to use the cleaner cut.
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2002, 06:52 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's something most coverings will do quite well - stick to themselves. This piece is laid down with no heat at this point. It will pull up easily, but that can be a good thing for getting the positioning perfect.
Old Oct 05, 2002, 06:54 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Iron down the edges and trim the leading edge as I showed you before, and I'm done the patch. For this specific spot, I've used the iron to shrink as I didn't want to risk the edges creeping on me. 1/16" isn't a lot of leeway. Here's the finished patch. Patch? What patch?
Old Oct 05, 2002, 06:57 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Last few steps - washout

Weight down the center of the wing however you'd like. Soft cover books are ideal as they're much less likely to damage the wing. Raise the trailing edge of the wingtip up (however much you want or need) with the leading edge against the bench and you'll see a bunch of little diagonal wrinkles form. In this picture, you only see a very few in the glare, but that's simply because the picture didn't show the rest. They're there. Trust me
Old Oct 05, 2002, 07:00 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Hit it with your heatgun or iron and get those wrinkles outta there. Hold the wing in position until it completely cools such that it doesn't spring back, and voila: instant washout. Turn the wing over and check for wrinkles on the bottom. If there's none visible, don't worry about more shrinkage. Here's a shot of the other wing showing the wrinkles better than the last one.
Old Oct 05, 2002, 07:01 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Now you find yourself with a new, shiny, solite covered wing. Go fly! If I've missed anything, please ask away.

Martin
Old Oct 05, 2002, 07:15 AM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Jul 2001
213 Posts
Martin,

I'll be the first of many I'm sure, but THANK YOU for this fantastic thread! It's being printed as I type this. I've always wondered about adding the washout via the covering, and it makes sense after seeing the pics. BRAVO!

Eric
ETrain is offline Find More Posts by ETrain
Old Oct 05, 2002, 09:24 AM
Alexandria, VA
Joined Feb 2002
259 Posts
Thank you , Thank you , very much.

I am just doing my first covering job on my Flashback, using SoLite. This thread has helped wonders.

Now, if you might give some hints about covering flat parts with curves, say like the vertical stabalizer, I will forever be in your gratitude.

I'm using a glass table top and laying stuff out on there, my plans are underneath the glass. It's working great. I wanted to try using RainX on the glass, to see if it made the covering stick less when it is adhesive side down. It does seem to do so, but the disadvantage is that masking tape has a hard time sticking to the glass. I use making tape to make reference marks about 3 inches outside the outline (for examle: wing spar, leading trailing edges). SO: The RainX doesn't help enough to risk the reference marks moving on you.
GooberVA is offline Find More Posts by GooberVA
Old Oct 05, 2002, 11:14 AM
Des Moines Municipal, Iowa, United States
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
Thanks Martin!!

Great info, great pictures. This really helps us newbs out. I think I will print this one out too.
fourleaf is offline Find More Posts by fourleaf
Old Oct 05, 2002, 12:11 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Great pics and directions Martin. I really need to get a heatgun
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Oct 05, 2002, 01:54 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I'm glad you guys like it.

Goober, I don't have a fin or anything like that to cover, so I'll do my best here. You'd do it just like the part above where you trim down the excess over the wingtip and crank the heat up a bit. Roll the iron around the curved wingtip and the little wrinkles will disappear. Flat surfaces with curved edges are basically the same. Cover the flat surface and cut out the corners out where the covering would fold into itself. Roll the covering around the edges and around the backside. I hope that's clear enough. When I next cover something flat like the tail feathers for my hurricane, I'll post more pictures.

Martin
Old Oct 06, 2002, 10:37 PM
Parkville, MO
Joined Apr 2002
63 Posts
Tonight I was covering my first plane with Nelson Lite Film, the MM C-180, and I stumbled across a couple of tips that might be of some help.

I was looking around for a work surface and picked up a piece of white Coroplast. I noticed that the static electricity build up in the lite film "bonded" with the Coroplast and acted like glue to hold down the film to keep it from overlapping itself and sticking.

I used my Fiscar Rotary Cutter to cut around the outside of the frame to get the overlap just right so I did not have to use a razor blade on the frame. The Coroplast made a great cutting surface for the rotary shears.

I used the two pieces of tape to separate the backing and that worked well once I found the tape with the right amount of "stickum".

Seemed to make the task a lot easier and I thought I would pass it along.
milkman is offline Find More Posts by milkman
Old Oct 08, 2002, 01:40 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Well, as requested, let's cover something flat with curves. In this case, it's the rudder for my Hurricane. It's mostly flat and is all curves! Here's all the stuff together.
Old Oct 08, 2002, 01:41 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's my ultra-precision cut out from the covering

Martin
Old Oct 08, 2002, 01:43 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Tack down the entire border of the side you're covering and turn the rudder over. Trim the edges per this picture, with slight (about 1/8") overhang and cut out the corners as shown. Where you see little pen-drawn "tick" marks is where I'll make cuts in the covering with my knife. This allows a smoother finish around the end and opposite side. I also cut a slit at a 45 degree angle into the corner between the rudder and counterbalance.
Last edited by Martin Hunter; Oct 08, 2002 at 01:48 AM.
Closed Thread