Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2003, 01:59 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Joe- Thanks again! Good idea on the Monocote, wish I had done that on mine. I'm sure it won't be the last though!

Bob- Wow, that is awesome! Great tips on the soapy water, it's kind of the same concept as with water transfer decals. I need to try that, sounds like an excellent technique.

Josh & Simon- I'll post a simple line drawing this weekend. Sorry for the delay.

Kevin- Cool licks!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2003, 02:25 PM
Hoosier Hobby Hangar
Cicero, Indiana
Joined Oct 2002
266 Posts
Thanks Tres and Josh. Josh sorry I get caried away sometimes , I like to use my airbrush as much as possible. I am working on a CAP 232 from Bill at www.stevensaero.com and will be putting those same flame patterns on her.

Here is a more basic outline for you, and a gray scale of another that should be easier to trace.

Kevin P
Kevin P is offline Find More Posts by Kevin P
Old Jan 03, 2003, 02:27 PM
Hoosier Hobby Hangar
Cicero, Indiana
Joined Oct 2002
266 Posts
Gray Scale, as you can see it is only one flame pattern copied on itself 4 times with small shading variations. You can get the same look using 2-3 diff colors of solite.

Kevin P
Kevin P is offline Find More Posts by Kevin P
Last edited by Kevin P; Jan 03, 2003 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2003, 02:48 PM
rebmeM roineS
Rockingham, Perth - Western Australia
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
Excellent! Thanks guys.

Kevin, those airbrushed licks look awsome!
I really should learn how to use my airbrush and get some practice with it, had it a year now and have never used it yet!

Simon
MrBungle is offline Find More Posts by MrBungle
Old Jan 03, 2003, 02:50 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
I actually own the 2nd best testors airbrush (the black one), but dont have a compressor so i have to use those lamo canisters (and i dont use it that often for that reason)

I think that i may brush some flames on me SB, when i get one (just need some frisket )

Thanks

Josh L
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Jan 21, 2003, 01:19 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
790 Posts
Dreamer,

Thanks to you and this thread, and Dougs fantastic Switchback kit, my new SB Sport is covered and ready for stripes.

How would you feel about posting a little technique about how you get those stripes so perfect on your planes?

Do you have a magic template, or are you just designing freehand?

Thanks for your wonderful thread on covering with Solite, since this was my first balsa kit it was a GREAT help. I'll post photos when complete.

Glenn
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
Old Jan 21, 2003, 01:40 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glenclif
...How would you feel about posting a little technique about how you get those stripes so perfect on your planes?

Do you have a magic template, or are you just designing freehand?...
Glenn, unlike the rest of my postings, this description will be short and sweet. I start covering and whatever pops into my head I do. Sometimes I feel like wavy stripes. Sometimes I feel like triangular stripes. Sometimes I feel like big patches. They're all free hand, though, or at best with a ruler to cut the edges.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 21, 2003, 02:14 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
790 Posts
Dreamer,

Thanks.

For some reason I knew you were going to say that . Your planes always look GREAT !!!

Your picture posts were extremely helpful, and after I got started it really wasn't that hard.

I Only got carried away once with the heat gun. (Repeat after me... I will not hold the heat gun closer that 1" from the surface) Lesson learned.

Glenn
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2001
60 Posts
I just finished covering a miniflash wing using Dreamer's instructions. It goes really fast once you
get the hang of it.

I find it the easiest to use covering yet. Just tack around the edges then shrink.

I had no trouble at all with self-stick (used white and solid blue so far). In fact I couldn't get the blue to stick at all, and the white only
if I really tried, pressing hard between my fingers.

I wonder if they have changed the adhesive?
doodle is offline Find More Posts by doodle
Old Jan 29, 2003, 11:56 AM
Joined Dec 2001
60 Posts
I forgot to mention, the TopFlight trim iron with the flat shoe works great for doing the tacking, on its low heat setting. Easier to handle than a regular iron, esp. on small planes.
doodle is offline Find More Posts by doodle
Old Jan 29, 2003, 01:17 PM
Green Member
NJ
Joined Mar 2002
788 Posts
Heat Gun...Get one!

Well I took some of Martin's advice in this thread and bought a cheap heat gun from tower.....OH MY GOD......if your not using one yet, get one. It speeds up the shrinking process like you wouldn't beleive. It also does a better job than the iron. I used to get those lines on my covering that kind of looks like stretch marks, after using the iron to shrink the solite over open areas (wing).....with the heat gun it comes out like glass. It's probably the best $16 I've spent in a while.

Joe
FX1SUB is offline Find More Posts by FX1SUB
Old Jan 29, 2003, 01:24 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,506 Posts
Careful with the heat gun... when I was a heat gun newbiee, I made a propeller wing being too agessive with it. I figured a little heat was great, more must be better

Yes a heat gun is a great investment.

I too use the TF flat shoe ( I have yet to find a use for the rounded one) For the Solite, I found low was too low, and didn't activate the glue, and hi was too hot, as the stuff just scriveled up. So I put it on hi, and pull the shoe out about 3/4 of the way. Works great...but the iron has a weak design and now with the extra lever action, the iron wobbles .
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 29, 2003, 01:26 PM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Thanks to Dreamer and friends

We sure owe Martin a big thankyou for this thread. Also Tres's input on the flames , etc. Took a lot of the fear out of me and is helping me immensly in improving my coverings. Wish I had more talent for seeing the total picture but I'm gaining on it because of the tips found here
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Jan 29, 2003, 01:30 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
This thread was invaluable for me when it came time to use the solite on my tiny-x-thanks!!!! I probably would have had alot of problems and ended up hating the stuff. Instead, it was pretty easy and now it's all I am going to use-great stuff!

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jan 29, 2003, 01:41 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's a bit of a "coming soon". I'm going to be beta'ing Mike Hall's Turbo Raven and I'm going to go nuts with the covering scheme to make it scale. I'll post another set of pics and details on how I do all the raven bird-shape details, in particular. Here's what the end result will look like.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Closed Thread