SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2006, 08:08 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Help!
PZ FOCKE WULF 190- Is mine repairable? Help!

I have recently gotten comfortable with my Parkzone Focke Wulf 190. Even in stock form this is a fast and fun airplane.. and while I woudln't reccomend it as a first aileron plane to anyone, it is my first aileron plane... and the transition has been surprisingly smooth- something I attribute to a steaming heap of good luck.

But... I did manage to break it. Coming in for a landing, a gust of wind caused me to overshoot my grassy runway and drop it down on its belly onto pavement. The landing was not especially hard and I expected a scuffed up undercarriage...but what happened surprised me. The fuselage suffered a circumferential break right behind the pilot! The only thing holding the rear half of the fuselage on, is the control rod to the elevator! The "crash" was so gentle that I was shocked and dissapointed to see this.

It a pretty clean break but its at such a crucial structural point that I am afraid to trust my glue to keep this plane together mid-loop..

What is the best type/brand of glue for this? Would you try to fix it or drop $27 on a new fuse from Park Zone?

Thanks so much for any help/advice
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2006, 09:22 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
if it really is a clean break and you would have no problem lining it up to make sure it's straight, i would attempt a fix...using gorilla glue, i would reinforce it with cf spars on the inside and packing tape on the outside...check your balance after the fix before test flying her...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Jun 07, 2006, 09:38 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
You can also use just standard foam safe CA and kicker. The gorilla glue takes a while to set. It will move the CG aft to fix it but it's most likely fixable. The plane will also need some more nose weight to balance. Don't know how well it will fly when you add in that weight.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jun 07, 2006, 09:46 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Thanks, guys.

I think I am going to try the CA/kicker approach.. I haven't used this stuff much but its my impression that it hardens immediately when you spray the kicker on....

So would I only be able to apply this to the outside of the break? If I do apply it to the contacting surfaces... do I have time to stick them together before it hardens?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:00 AM
Wrongway Feldman
Joined Jan 2006
480 Posts
CA's pretty light, so I don't think the glue itself will add much weight.
If you apply the glue one contacting surface, stick it together and position it where you want it, then spray the kicker it will penetrate the bond and harden it instantly. I just repaired a Cox P-47 that way and it worked fine.
flew2high is offline Find More Posts by flew2high
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:34 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I would think if you go the packing tape and CF rod reinforcement that would be some weight there. The CA and kicker would probably be enough alone to fix it but I would probably put some really short CF reinforcement inside the fuse across the break in high stress areas.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Awesome, guys. Thanks to all of you for the help!

L0stS0ul, you know your stuff.. this isn't the first time you have helped me out this week! Thanks again, man!
Old Jun 07, 2006, 11:58 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
for light repair work in non high stress structural areas, i would use the ca and kicker...the fuse will be subjected to bending and twisting forces in flight especially during high g manuevers...my experience has been that ca is too brittle to handle high stress areas like the break you described...the weight gain using cf spars and epoxy or gorilla glue will be nominal...good luck and let us know how it goes..
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Jun 07, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
FWIW

The inside of my FW fuse is covered with bi-directional tape. Not sure if it helps me much other then in the peace of mind dept.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jun 07, 2006, 01:18 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2006
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
I have recently gotten comfortable with my Parkzone Focke Wulf 190. Even in stock form this is a fast and fun airplane.. and while I woudln't reccomend it as a first aileron plane to anyone, it is my first aileron plane... and the transition has been surprisingly smooth- something I attribute to a steaming heap of good luck.

But... I did manage to break it. Coming in for a landing, a gust of wind caused me to overshoot my grassy runway and drop it down on its belly onto pavement. The landing was not especially hard and I expected a scuffed up undercarriage...but what happened surprised me. The fuselage suffered a circumferential break right behind the pilot! The only thing holding the rear half of the fuselage on, is the control rod to the elevator! The "crash" was so gentle that I was shocked and dissapointed to see this.

It a pretty clean break but its at such a crucial structural point that I am afraid to trust my glue to keep this plane together mid-loop..

What is the best type/brand of glue for this? Would you try to fix it or drop $27 on a new fuse from Park Zone?

Thanks so much for any help/advice

My GF just wrecked my FW190 a weekend or two back. It broke in the exact same area along with the battery doing some pretty good damage to the firewall and inner structure.

Don't worry about the FW190 being fagile.. I've belly flopped mine pretty hard once and no damage was done.. I've also flown in a field with thin chest high grass which would cause the airplane to hit and fall to the ground hard.. I never had anything more than a scratches in the yellow paint under the cowling.

Kelly my GF put it in the the ground pretty damn hard and the damage that was done really wasn't that bad to be honest. This is her second plane also.
Rooster433 is offline Find More Posts by Rooster433
Old Jun 07, 2006, 01:26 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
More good info... thanks. It does seem brittle... but I am going to give it a shot.

Tommy D, that sounds like a good idea... how did you get it in there? Access is pretty limited to the inside of the fuse.
Old Jun 07, 2006, 02:04 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38

Tommy D, that sounds like a good idea... how did you get it in there? Access is pretty limited to the inside of the fuse.

Medical instruments where I could not reach. Also had most of the plastic skeleten out when I made a new firewall.

Like I said, I dont even know if it was worth it, but on a EPP model it sure removes a lot of flex.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:23 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,928 Posts
If you are going to put any reinforcement in, it needs to go nose to tail, otherwise the next crash will break it just outside the reinforced area. use bamboo skewers if you must, they give some flexability.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
So the CA didn't work.... I suspect that the kicker was not penetrating into the seam. How long would the CA take to set without it?

After that failed, I applied a bead of Gorilla Glue. Aside from a bit of foam sitcking out, the bond seems to be strong.

How can I tell if this is strong enough before sending it up into the atmosphere?
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:25 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
hmmm...... .... surprised the CA didn't work....in fact I'm completely startled.

anyhow, a good way to test it...gently pull the ends (but not hard enough to rebreak it) then try to twist it a little.....the twist should transfer across the break (twist no more than a 1/4 inch)...after that...there's no real test like flight..so get it in the air.

and for future ref. - you can use a couple of toothpicks like dowels to reinforce across a break.

Look up "Zero Carnage Report" in search with my handle in the PF forumns and you'll see all the Repairs i did to keep my gws Zero going.

you'd be surprised

Chuck

Ps here's link to what i did with Bamboo BBQ skewers
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54825
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Last edited by AirWarriorBelgy; Jun 09, 2006 at 10:31 AM.