New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by scaflock
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Hey Wylie... Have you checked out the Merlyn thread in the thermal section and seen how Rudderman is setting up the motor? I think that would work well on a Paragon. You might want to give it some consideration.

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2015, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by Zé Povinho
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2005
344 Posts
After a couple of months building mine, I maidened it a few hours ago at the Rose Bowl field. I arrived shortly after the Walk for Autism event was over so the field was nearly empty.

It was a bit gusty. First trim throws revealed that I just needed one or two clicks of down elevator. My CG is at the trailing edge of the main spar, rather than at the center of the spar.

Other than making and installing full shear webs a la Skybench Oly II, and installing the spoilers, the plane was built entirely stock-no mods or glassing the fuse or carbon caps or things like that since it is intended solely for hi start launches.

Using a Dynaflite heavy duty 120 in. planes full hi start, the Paragon took off almost vertically. No tendencies to veer to the right or left.

I have always wanted a Paragon ever since the year 2000.

I took months because I am a slow builder. I have the energy to just work on a bit of the plane a day. At times there were weeks when I did not do any building.

The most difficult thing was to build the wing's updated sheer webs.

Radio equipment: Futaba R617fs; 2 Hitec 311 standard servos for rudder and elevator; 2 Hitec HS-55 for the spoilers. Battery is a 1200 mAh NiMH.

Covering: Ultracote transparent blue; Ultracote transparent fluorescent yellow; Ultracote white regular.
Zé Povinho is offline Find More Posts by Zé Povinho
Last edited by Zé Povinho; Apr 18, 2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,197 Posts
Good looking sailplane ZP!! When I started in the hobby, I was talking to my LHS owner and bemoaned the fact that it was taking too long to build my first sailplane (a GL)., primarily due to life's challenges. His response was, "This is a hobby for fun and enjoyment, no matter how long it takes to finish a build. If you fret over how long it takes, It's no longer fun."

Did the yellow show up well at altitude? My eyes need something easy to pick out in the air.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Apr 19, 2015, 01:35 AM
Joined Feb 2005
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit View Post
Good looking sailplane ZP!! When I started in the hobby, I was talking to my LHS owner and bemoaned the fact that it was taking too long to build my first sailplane (a GL)., primarily due to life's challenges. His response was, "This is a hobby for fun and enjoyment, no matter how long it takes to finish a build. If you fret over how long it takes, It's no longer fun."
Did the yellow show up well at altitude? My eyes need something easy to pick out in the air.
Thank you very much for the comment about the looks of my Paragon.

Yes. The yellow does show very well at altitude, and the white fuselage adds to the visibility as well.

Yellow and blue are my favorite colors.

It is so nice to see something that initially was all sticks and 2 rolls of full size plans morph into a 120 in. wingspan flying machine that flies well, and that was built with one's own efforts.

I have nothing against the ARFs that have become established in today's times, but still, one derives a pleasure from having built the plane from square one and being able to personalize it-to cover it your way, to become familiar with its structure so one can repair it if needed, to be able to correct any building problems as they come up in the construction steps, and so on.
Last edited by Zé Povinho; Apr 19, 2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
16,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zé Povinho View Post
I have nothing against the ARFs that have become established in today's times, but still, one derives a pleasure from having built the plane from square one and being able to personalize it-to cover it your way, to become familiar with its structure so one can repair it if needed, to be able to correct any building problems as they come up in the construction steps, and so on.
+1

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,958 Posts
Very nice ZP!! The Paragon is next on my board as soon as I finish the Super QB 25L I'm building.

You can take it from me, the unrepentant Paragon addict.... you've done a beautiful job. Congrats on a successful maiden!
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:21 PM
Joined Feb 2005
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Very nice ZP!! The Paragon is next on my board as soon as I finish the Super QB 25L I'm building.

You can take it from me, the unrepentant Paragon addict.... you've done a beautiful job. Congrats on a successful maiden!
Thank you very much. I always get uneasy about maidens...after watching some Youtube videos of maidens of beautiful airplanes that turned out to be last filghts, I do get uneasy but after the successful flight, I relax.

Take care!
Old May 03, 2015, 11:39 PM
Joined Feb 2005
344 Posts
A few days ago I flew the Paragon again at the Rose Bowl; there were some electric power fliers.

After I finished some flights (one of them led me to a nice thermal that almost resulted in a speckout), I brought it near my car, and some of the power pilots commented that they were not aware that it was a very big plane-it looks like they haven't seen a Paragon before. Just wait until I finish the Skybench Challenger and they see it at the field.

I weighed the Paragon today at the local Fedex office, and the total weight is 50.3 ounces. Very close to the advertised weight of 48 ounces. I guess that the increase was because of the addition of spoilers driven by individual servos and the replacement of the stock shear webs with Skybench Oly II style full width shear webs.

Ze
Old May 04, 2015, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by prodjx
Joined Jan 2007
5,067 Posts
I have one NIB.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,958 Posts
So do I. It will be next on the board..... wait, didn't I already say that? Sorry for being repetitive.....

And I am seriously thinking about scratch building a Paramount this fall. Anyone wanna join me in a group build?
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring