HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2006, 08:57 PM
Manassas, VA
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
Nice looking Paragon, outtaspam. I friend of mine had one at about the same time frame when I flew with a club in Austin, TX. Never saw it fly too much, but it was close to state-of-the-art back then.
balsaaddict is offline Find More Posts by balsaaddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2006, 08:47 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17
What a beauty LVSoaring - now I am having serious regrets about going for a Gentle Lady (70% complete) - but for me space for wings (and even fuselage) in my very very small 2 seater car was a big issue.
If you have a hatchback, the Paragon would fit fine. If not (like a 2 seater convertable with a small trunk) then it would probably be an issue.

I have a 2 seater 300ZX,a nd the Paragon fits in it great, with the T tops off even.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 08, 2006, 08:57 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
I believe that Ryan has a removable tail on his Paragon. Removable tail helps in getting it in a 2-seater also.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Jun 08, 2006, 08:57 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
I'm a big fan too

I don't know what it is about these ships, but they really are wonderful.

Mine was a birthday gift from an ex girl friend in 1998. She was at a contest with me and won a 50% off gift certificate from Pierce Arrow and gave me the Paragon kit. It sat on a shelf until 2003. I think that could be the worst mistake in soaring I ever made. At the time I thought, ah, just a big floater, I was big time into HLG at the time. Well, after I was laid off in 2002 I started building it. First flight was Memorial day 2003. Second high start ever was 30 minutes! I had not yet installed the spoilers, really had trouble just getting it down! I have had more 30+ flights than I can recall, 3 1 hour + flights and one almost 2 hours. It brought me my only Nats "wood" and a few other local contest wins. Did my 1K with it and intend to use it for the 8 hour some day.

Recently I also built an electric fuselage for it. It flys just as well with the added weight (not sure on the exact weight, need to weigh it).

Ryan
Old Jun 08, 2006, 09:00 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgospod
I believe that Ryan has a removable tail on his Paragon. Removable tail helps in getting it in a 2-seater also.

John
Yes. I forgot to mention that. Although I usually leave the tail on. I only take the tail off for going to contests with two 3 meter planes in the Z. For just trips to the field with only the Paragon I leave the tail on.

Removable tail is a good idea on this ship, and I can help with any questions people have on that. There are a number of ways to do it.

Biggest complaint on transporting the Paragon is center section is about 60 inches, as John pointed out. Planes like Bubble Dancer are also 3 meters but break down into a smaller center (but larger tips).

Of course, hand launch wings are 60 inches and they don't break down....

Ryan
Old Jun 08, 2006, 09:18 AM
AMA 71653
Mobile, Alabama
Joined May 2004
94 Posts
Paragon

You guys are making it extremely difficult to finish the Windrifter I've been building on for 2 years. The pics are killing me, great looking ships. Joe
Smoking Joe is offline Find More Posts by Smoking Joe
Old Jun 08, 2006, 11:48 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
And also making it difficult for me to finish my Gentle Lady. I had to choose between the Paragon and GL and only went for the Lady on the back of transportation issues.
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old Jun 08, 2006, 03:05 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,641 Posts
Should we all chip in to get arukum a bigger car? I'll send in the first $1!

Rick
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jun 08, 2006, 03:16 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
Should we all chip in to get arukum a bigger car? I'll send in the first $1!
Rick,

Problem is, in the UK cars are much different than here in the states. What we would consider a compact, they might consider a full size car.... I was on a buisiness trip in Slough for about a month. One weekend I was at a coworker's house and we were playing a UK version of the "Life" board game. There was a card I got and I became aware that any car with an engine size greater than 2.5 liters was considered "luxury" over there.

So for him, model transport could be a pretty important issue.

Ryan
Old Jun 09, 2006, 05:08 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
I run an old but lovely Morgan 4/4... about the size of a go-kart...
my spirit 2 piece wing fits very comfortably into the passenger seat, with room to spare...with the hood off this would be no problem, but taking the hood off takes 15 min and putting it back on takes 20 min...

need to bring out a measuring tape 60inch space for centre panel may JUST about work....

....all I need to do then is lawn dart by Gentle Lady and/or Spirit...so that I can make space in the house for the Paragon
Old Jun 09, 2006, 05:11 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
2.5 litre engine cars are considered "muscle cars" in these parts
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:13 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
If you like to build and want to build a big one, the Bubble Dancer is really compact in comparison to the Paragon. It is also 3 meters, but it breaks down closer to 1 meter per section wing parts (as opposed to Paragon 2 meter center and .5 meter tips). Now, it is not exactly that, as I think it ends up being like 1.2 or 1.4 meters for the largest wing part, but much better. The horizontal comes off the BD too. You can really stack the BD into a small area.

Of course, BD has a lot of exotic composite parts, but it is possible one could build one woodie style if not interested in hard winching.

There are other designs out there too, but Paragon and BD are the only 3 meters I have built, so I just try to speak of what I know.

So far as compact/transport goes, I keep my Allegro Lite in this 52 x 14 x 6 rifle case. I find that really helps storing/transport. I don't have a setup like this for my other planes, but need to get one.

Ryan
Old Jun 09, 2006, 09:57 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Thanks - but I personally prefer an all wood - traditional fuselage design of the Paragon...and yes, I do like to build
Old Jun 09, 2006, 12:55 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17
Thanks - but I personally prefer an all wood - traditional fuselage design of the Paragon...and yes, I do like to build
I think Sparky Paul built his Allegro with a stick fuselage. Sort of a triangle type "boom".

Ryan
Old Jun 14, 2006, 07:03 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
building and strength of V-stab and rudder

Got a question on the building and strength of V-stab and rudder of the Paragon tail. Do you think it is overbuilt? It shows using x 3/8 stock to build it, but Im thinking of using 3/16 x 3/8 stock to save weight. The thinner stock seems strong enough and it is the vertical, not the horizontal, so launch stress should not be a factor. Open for your thoughts. Thanks.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod