HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2007, 06:19 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Arukum,
Give it all the rudder you can get (without binding of course) with 40 percent expo if you have that option. Most people will over steer this plane as it will respond a little slower than you are probably used to if you have not flown a plane with this span. This of course will lead to a counter steer and perhaps a second countersteer. It is light for its size and naturally slow so this complicates the turn response time.
For the elevator 5/8 up and 1/2 down.
For the reciever, a range check will suffice for me. I also turn on the planes reciever and sit for a few minutes and look for abnormal movements. This is against some peoples advise but this assures me that it has not wandered off the frequency and that there isnt radio "noise" to compete with.
Of course you can always have it checked out proffesionaly.
Love my Paragon and the way it soars. Sooo relaxing. Make sure you set up for landings a bit farther out as it is slow to come down and can slide on grass a long ways.
Bob
PS. These numbers came from an actual measurement from my plane and your comfort spot will be slightly different. Im balanced at the rear of the spar. Happy flying.
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Last edited by bobby legue; May 31, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2007, 09:45 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
Looks great...

You do want a bunch of rudder throw. This plane turns so sweet.... Bang the rudder and she turns on a wing tip.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 01, 2007, 06:23 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17
Also progressed on the stab and elevator. The elevator halfs are joined by a thin piece of spruce joiner which I epoxied using 60min epoxy...does not need to be load bearing but still looks flimsy for such a critical component...

did others reinforce this spruce joiner?
FYI:

On another plane I built I used a small rat file and made a grove in the spruce joiner to inlay a small diameter CF rod I had in stock from kite building. With epoxy to hold it in place Iím not worried about strength in that spot. I also did the same to the V-stab lower section because I made the tail removable and needed extra strength at that point to anchor it.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Jun 01, 2007, 06:55 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Still have the one I built from RCM plan way back when. Dust it off and take it out at least a few times a year. Have to get some transparent orange monocote for wing repair.Last time I had the old girl out the hawk I was sharing the thermal with got a little pissy,larg # of rips in r/h tip panel.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jun 01, 2007, 08:30 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
John,

You going to be in Muncie Saturday? I'll be there for the rocket launch and plan to fly in the RES ladder too (probably with my Paragon).

Ryan
Old Jun 01, 2007, 09:29 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgospod
FYI:

On another plane I built I used a small rat file and made a grove in the spruce joiner to inlay a small diameter CF rod I had in stock {snip}

John
Thanks! That is a really good idea! Being that I am in the middle of building a Paragon stab, this is really timely!

Regards.
Mike K.
Mike K is offline Find More Posts by Mike K
Old Jun 02, 2007, 12:23 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Just came back from LHS bought covering for wing repair also bought 1.75" spinner and 10 size brushless mtr.-eflite going to modify the old girl aand see if I cant get her out more often. New bleachers at local school block room for hystr. Allthought I fly mostley E power scale and sport these days parragone is still one of my faviorites sorry to offendany body who likes pure soaring but--I feel thatthis will get the old girl out more often. She has survived my dumb thumbs for more than 25 years and still looks good. Need to use her more the mods ought to do this.
Old Jun 02, 2007, 01:13 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
An electrified paragon is still a paragon...go for it !!
I have heard the extra weight actually improves flying characteristics...
...I need to find a good histart that is small enough for my field but powerful enough not to get a hernia from launching Her Majesty
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old Jun 02, 2007, 10:02 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
Had a great time flying my Paragon today at Muncie in a "ladder contest". Although I did not win, worked some good lift. Wind was breazy, probably about 10 mph. But the old Paragon moved around OK, considering the thickness of its foil/its age. I was not running ballast but should have been...

I think you will enjoy your E Paragon. I have an E fuselage for my Paragon and it is fun. The extra weight won't really bother you in glide. :-) I probably run mine about 45 ounces sometimes (glider) and about 70 electric or ballasted glider. 70 ounces allows you to cover more ground...

Ryan
Old Jun 04, 2007, 06:00 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
John,

You going to be in Muncie Saturday? I'll be there for the rocket launch and plan to fly in the RES ladder too (probably with my Paragon).

Ryan
Ryan,

Sorry I didnít get back to you sooner. We left for Nashville TN early Friday and just got back. Wish I didnít have to miss the ladder contest but family called. Glad you had a good time. Hope to see you for Rays woody contest here in Fort Wayne this fall. It should be a fun one.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Jun 04, 2007, 06:26 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Transparent yellow Solarfilm (UK monokote) on the centre panel ans control surfaces...nearly stress free...with every build I get a little better
Old Jun 04, 2007, 06:31 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
use an monokote iron at 2.5 to stick the monokote and 3 to shrink
iron is caliberated from L, 1, 2, 3 and H
I have a heat gun but have never used it in three builds..only need the heating iron with setting 3 (skim the surface and watch that puppy shrink like magic)...

oh and the sharper the blade (no.11) the cleaner the finish...I have never liked overlapping corner edges...
Old Jun 04, 2007, 08:04 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgospod
Ryan,

Sorry I didnít get back to you sooner. We left for Nashville TN early Friday and just got back. Wish I didnít have to miss the ladder contest but family called. Glad you had a good time. Hope to see you for Rays woody contest here in Fort Wayne this fall. It should be a fun one.

John
I did have a good time. The Paragon did well in the somewhat breazy conditions (~ 10 mph winds or so) although the lift was weak and quick moving at launch height. I was also flying the rocket launch with my dad and I did not completely concentrate on the ladder so I did not quite do as well as one might have. Still, got good Paragon practice in.

I won't be at the fall ladder due to my wife and I expecting a child in early September. But I will fly the Paragon in Nostalgia at the Nats.

Ryan
Old Jun 04, 2007, 08:21 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,593 Posts
Beautiful work Arukum! Makes me want to leave the office this minute and go home and get busy on mine!!

Cheers!

Rick
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jun 05, 2007, 05:51 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
electric mods

Nearly have the Eflite mtr. installed in the old girl. Planing to use a 2100 3cellIhave hanging arround batt wires will abit long but I am going to put batt. on c/g under wing, used 1 1//4 20 bolt for wing holdown so batt. changes will be quick. With any luck should get out on sun. to try her out.