SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2006, 01:18 PM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Discussion
How to mount the GWS brushless motor?

This is an article I just posted on FlyGWS.eu , maybe others can benefit from it.

On the site it's available in Dutch, French and English:
http://flygws.be/article_info.php?articles_id=23

For this, you need to disassamble the axis from the motor. You release the retainer clip at the back of the motor. After this you unscrew the inbus screw at the front. Now you can slide the axis out of the motor. You reverse the axis and put it in again. If youwant you can now try to piull apart the rotor and stator. They are only held together now by the force of the magnets. Be carefull when you let go again, since the magnet force makes the assembly snap together again.

Now that the axis is mounted correctly, you can put the inbus screw back at the front of the motor. The rear is turning free in the ball bearing. For me, the motor is ready now, since the magnet force is strong enough to prevent the engine from being pulled apart by the force of the propellor. Others like to play save. They use the supplied collar and second inbus screw to secure the rear of the axis. You need to realise that this causes some extra friction and may influence the performance.

To mount the motor onto the plane, you first need to attach the supplied cross-shaped piece to the back of the motor. You can do this with the supplied screws. To achieve the correct distance between the existing firewall and the prop, the motor needs to be mounted 2,5 cm more to the front. This is easily achieved by taking a piece of white insulation foam, which has the exact thickness. You can glue it with epoxy to the foam of the airplane. In front of this, you glue a piece of 3mm triplex cut to the shape of the foam you attached. Now you can securely mount the motor to the plane using 4 servo screws through the cross-shaped piece into the triplex. Don't forget to drill a 1 cm deep hole first at the center where the motor will end up. This is because the axis is sticking out a bit at the rear of the motor.

One last tip: mount the speed controller below the piece of insulation foam. This way it receives the best cooling air possible. Also, the wires to the motor are as short as possible. A third advantage is that this far away from your rx interference will be minimised.

This all takes longer to explain then to do, so just go ahead and try it!
kodel is offline Find More Posts by kodel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2006, 03:26 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,677 Posts
Hi Kodel,

What a great job ! It seems you do not need the new plastic motor mount.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Aug 01, 2006, 04:53 PM
USA, CA, Dublin
Joined Jul 2006
139 Posts
so you're saying after you reversed the prop shaft you didn't put the clamp and set screw back on the back side? so the way its mounted, if you pulled on the shaft hard enough, the shaft(and housing) would actually pull away from the mount?
does it work ok like that?
Also, I noticed that you have it mounted on an E-starter. what prop are you running and how do you like it?(I'm running 8043 prop on 3S lipo and seems like performance is comparable to stock 400 motor)
pwu_1 is offline Find More Posts by pwu_1
Old Aug 02, 2006, 04:41 PM
SoCal, USA
Joined Jul 2006
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwu_1
so you're saying after you reversed the prop shaft you didn't put the clamp and set screw back on the back side? so the way its mounted, if you pulled on the shaft hard enough, the shaft(and housing) would actually pull away from the mount?
does it work ok like that?
There is an E-Clip on the end of the shaft preventing it from pulling out. You just have to use the set screws to lock the shaft to the magnet can which is doing the work.
kcwannafly is offline Find More Posts by kcwannafly
Old Aug 02, 2006, 05:36 PM
USA, CA, Dublin
Joined Jul 2006
139 Posts
actually, on the GWS 2208/18T motor I got, there is no E-Clip.
On the magnet can side there is a set screw that you screw down to lock the shaft. On the other end there is a round cylinder(removable) with a set screw that you screw down to lock the shaft. That cylinder prevents the shaft from pulling out.
In the pictures above, looks like he put the clamp in front of the magnet can(which makes no sense since it doesn't do anything there except take up space).
I think a possible workaround is to replace the shaft with a regular GWS 300 series motor shaft since that shaft does have a groove for the E-Clip and just gind a flat spot for the set screw in the magnet can.
I found these motor mounts that would have worked perfectly had it not been for that clamp.
http://www.espritmodel.com/images/ac...tick_mount.jpg
As it is, I had to hack up the mount quite a bit to make it fit.
pwu_1 is offline Find More Posts by pwu_1
Old Aug 02, 2006, 09:13 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,677 Posts
Hi Pwu 1,

I'd like to state this link for you, http://www.gwsus.com/images/note%20book/gwblm003-2.jpg

Yes, some friends have tried to modify the shaft of EPS300 and installed it instead. However, you could take reference from viewing this illustration. I'd believe you could reverse the stock
shaft well.

Chen
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:49 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,766 Posts
Are there any drawings available for the brushless motor mount GWEMM28T? I'm particularly interested in the offset from the mounting stick center line to the motor center line. I need to work out where to put the stick in a model.

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:26 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,677 Posts
Hi Nick,

I'm afraid that these drawings have not been published yet.
Here is a post stated by my clleague Ray talking about something
like what you said, but phots are not GWS kind, you could view its phot on the previous page.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=818439
Hope this would be helpful.

Chen
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:24 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,766 Posts
Chen,

Thank you for your response. The dimensions may not be 'official', but that is exactly what I need.

Giving credit where credit is due: GWS is the best at publishing dimensions of its products.

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill