HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2006, 01:19 PM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
Discussion
Funny story R/C Plane story.

I was flying my commander 2 in the park, and a 65 year old nice guy comes to me and we start talking, he says he has over $12k invested in R/C planes...I was amazed, he mentioned one of his R/C Helicopters was worth 2 grand! Anyway I asked him, how he got started and he said back when he retired he went to a site for R/C planes and ordered a $45 plane kit, then he told his wife he was buying a $45 plane kit. But then when the plane kit came in he realized he needed the motors and transmitor and other stuff xD...so the total came to $600. Then he said when he was at the basement assembling the plane, his wife comes in the basement with a credit card statement and says "How does a $45 plane kit, turn into $600"

I think it was very funny and true .
Rbzi is offline Find More Posts by Rbzi
Last edited by Rbzi; Jun 04, 2006 at 11:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2006, 09:01 PM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Leipsic, OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,448 Posts
Yep, and unless he has a very understanding wife, he now has over $12k and a divorce settlement invested in RC aircraft.
Tweener is offline Find More Posts by Tweener
Old Jun 04, 2006, 09:48 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbzi
"How does a $45 plane kit, turn into $600"

I think it was very funny and true .

There's nothing funny about that story....Just ask my wife!
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Jun 05, 2006, 06:34 AM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
My wife has learned that model airplane prices usually have the decimal point in the wrong place.
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2005
67 Posts
My wife doesn't ask any more because every time she complains about how much RC plane gear I have and she doesn't understand why I need it all I just ask why she needs 60 pairs 0f shoes. Conversation (if any) generally terminates very quickly
Delta1 is offline Find More Posts by Delta1
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:27 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Just another reason your wife can buy ANOTHER pair of shoes!!!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:19 PM
Joined Aug 2005
67 Posts
Viper Pilot thats about the size of it except that I don't have 60 planes we all have our own little fetish to satisy. Just came back from the hobby shop with a CM Pro Peashooter and an OS 120 Four stroke to go in the nose. Oh what a feeling
Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:38 AM
Joined Aug 2005
67 Posts
The way I see it smokers and drinkers spend a small fortune on their bad habits, I do neither and the amount I spend on planes and RC gear is much less than a 2 pack a week cigarette smoker or a 2 carton a week beer drinker. When I average it out spending is less than $40 per week on average its just that when you spend you tend to do it in big chunks.

Thats my attempt at an excuse anyway
Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:30 AM
Flyin' High
Staten Island, NY
Joined Aug 2005
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta1
The way I see it smokers and drinkers spend a small fortune on their bad habits, I do neither and the amount I spend on planes and RC gear is much less than a 2 pack a week cigarette smoker or a 2 carton a week beer drinker. When I average it out spending is less than $40 per week on average its just that when you spend you tend to do it in big chunks.

Thats my attempt at an excuse anyway
Delta... Here in NY a pack of Cigarettes cost $8.00. Most smokes I know are at least 1 - 2 packs a day. So lets say that a pack and a half a day. Thats $12/day $84/week $336/month $4032/yr on cigarettes. That could be at least 3 new (HIGH END) planes a year, with new servos, reciever pack and engine. (Im thinking 3 B-25 Mitchells from KMP now)

Just my $4032.00 worth...
Gary...
rnrdoc is offline Find More Posts by rnrdoc
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:18 AM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Leipsic, OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrdoc
Here in NY a pack of Cigarettes cost $8.00.
That must be Billary's health care plan in action. Tax the smokers while citing their future health care needs, then spend it on something else. The government is no better than a street drug pusher preying on people's addictions. (I'm trying to quit, but it's not easy.)
Tweener is offline Find More Posts by Tweener
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:16 AM
Slayer of quality balsa
Cocoa Florida
Joined Aug 2005
65 Posts
Quiting smoking was one of the most difficult things I have had to do (25 years of addiction). Cold turkey is the only way, patches, gum, pills ect. just prolong the agony. If you can go thirty days, you've got it licked.
crawler tech is offline Find More Posts by crawler tech
Old Jun 28, 2006, 06:14 PM
Joined Aug 2005
67 Posts
Smokes and booze are much more expensive here in Oz and so is RC gear. The equation probably balances out. Opened the box of the CM Pro Peashooter last night and was very pleased with my purchase. It is going to look wonderfull in the air. Much more exciting than a packet of smokes and (at this stage anyway) have something to show for my money. The other thing for me is that since I took up RC hobbies my sons and I do a lot more things together and there is always the stories of our airborn adventures to spread around. Oldest boy is very good, just picked it up very well, is about to join the club and has already purchased a low wing plane to move onto after the trainer (WM Mach 11). We all know that this hobby can be expensive but the rewards and friendships established are priceless and generally our other halves just don't appreciate that part of it. I guess its just "a boy thing"