Old Jun 04, 2006, 01:29 AM
Hotjava
Norcal
Joined Aug 2002
185 Posts
Build Log
Menhaden Fishing or Bunker Boat

Hi,

Here are photos of my current project - a menhaden fishing or bunker boat. The boat is based on plans which I purchased from the now defunct magazine U.S. Boat and Ship Modeller 15 years ago.

The orginal plans and article were published in the February and March 1956 issues of Young Men magazine by Frank Lashek and S. Calhoun Smith. Besides the plan and the article, I also used as reference the book Model Boat Building: The Menhaden Steamer by Steve and Patricia Staby Rogers.

My model uses the 39" fiberglass hull from the Midwest Seguin hull. You can also purchase this hull separately from Microglass.

This hull is not entirely correct for a bunker boat. In one of the photos you will see that the stern pinches in too sharply, but it was the closest match that I could find without building one from scratch.

Note that the only semi-kit of a bunker boat is from Hartman Fiberglass. They have a version about 60+ inches scaled up from the original Lashek and Smith plans.

Oliver
hotjava is offline Find More Posts by hotjava
Last edited by hotjava; Jun 04, 2006 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Changed to "Build Log"
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2006, 05:15 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
That's nice work. I have the Rogers' book, it is well done. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jun 04, 2006, 08:07 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Jun 04, 2006, 03:14 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Very nice looking boat, Oliver!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 04, 2006, 04:22 PM
Joined Jan 2006
865 Posts
Does the book have plans ? If it does what scale are they to make what length model?

Don

BTW very nice job on this model. Makes me wish I had ordered the plans when I had the chance.
Tug Guy is offline Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Jun 04, 2006, 04:37 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Holy crap! Even the boat stand is awesome!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 04, 2006, 04:56 PM
Joined Jan 2006
865 Posts
I always come to a blank when it is time to design a stand. I end up making the same kind over and over. This stand is very unique and shows much thought went into making it.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Old Jun 04, 2006, 09:37 PM
Hotjava
Norcal
Joined Aug 2002
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Brown
Does the book have plans ? If it does what scale are they to make what length model?
Don,

The Rogers book does have plans but you need to increase the size to about 225%. His featured model (of the "Helen Euphane") builds out to 1/2" scale(1/24th) with a length of about 56". This is slightly smaller than Hartman's semi-kit.

Rogers also built one that is identical to the Smith plans. This is featured in the "gallery" section of the book. Note that the Smith plans build to a scale of 1/32nd with an overall model length of 33". The Smith plans were for a "generic" bunker boat.

Oliver
Old Jun 04, 2006, 09:48 PM
Hotjava
Norcal
Joined Aug 2002
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Kmot,

Thanks. However, the stand is from the Midwest kit. So, there was no talent on my part except for reading the instructions.

One benefit of basing a build on a pre-existing kit is that a lot of the "thinking" such as the boat stand is already done for you.

Oliver
Old Jun 05, 2006, 07:41 AM
Joined Jan 2006
865 Posts
Thanks Oliver, I ordered the book last night from Bluejacket. !/3 scale is what I wanted.

Don
Old Jun 05, 2006, 08:26 AM
Mostly harmless
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2005
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjava
My model uses the 39" fiberglass hull from the Midwest Seguin hull.
I thought that hull looked familiar
Capt_Christo is offline Find More Posts by Capt_Christo
Last edited by Capt_Christo; Jun 05, 2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2006, 02:27 PM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
556 Posts
Hot,

Very nice, I am sure you will enjoy the build and sailing the Bunker Boat.

I just completed the Bunker Boat that Cal Smith designed years ago. I had built it in the 70s and decided to try another one this winter. I called Bill Northrop, the editor of Model Builder, no longer being published. He still has the plans in the original size, about 35 and 62. I wanted something in between so I ordered the smaller plans and scaled them up to 45. It has a built up hull planked with 1/8 balsa. It looks great in the water and turned out very well. It is the first boat I have build in 25 years.

Good luck with yours.

Ed
EdLokken is online now Find More Posts by EdLokken
Old Jun 05, 2006, 03:41 PM
Hotjava
Norcal
Joined Aug 2002
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLokken
I just completed the Bunker Boat that Cal Smith designed years ago. I had built it in the 70s and decided to try another one this winter. I called Bill Northrop, the editor of Model Builder, no longer being published. He still has the plans in the original size, about 35 and 62. I wanted something in between so I ordered the smaller plans and scaled them up to 45. It has a built up hull planked with 1/8 balsa. It looks great in the water and turned out very well. It is the first boat I have build in 25 years.
Ed
Ed,

She is beautiful! I love the profile of the bunker boat. I am getting a lot of emails about the plans.

Can you provide information on how readers can contact Bill Northrop and purchase the plans from him?

I would appreciate that.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work.

Oliver
Old Jun 05, 2006, 04:10 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Where are the 1:1 versions of these boats typically found? Neat looking!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 05, 2006, 04:18 PM
Joined Jan 2006
865 Posts
I just called Bill Northop and ordered plans for the 36" model. He has plans for the 61 " model also.
His phone number is 702-896-2162 His office hours are M-F 10 AM - 4 PM PST
For those that need his address it is
2019 Doral Court Henderson NV 89074

Enjoy,
Don