Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Build Log
Ritewing 30 inch Demon Unsanctioned

Scope of the project:

!) To use a proven airfoil
2) 30 or so inch wing to use as a motor test platforn
3) Outrunner motors mostly double Komodo hobbies motors (1st test 7 turn 5 strand #22 wire delta

So i started with a set of Demon 40 inch cores, I played around a bit as to where i was going to play wack a wing and decided that against CK's idea to take 10 inches directly from the center i took 6 from the center and 2" from each tip.

So now i have a 30" demon of sorts.. I used the Thats Just About Right (TJAR) method of decision making for that.. It looked more like a scaled Demon cut like this and also provided me with a tad thicker planform.

The thicker center section will help a bit with batteries.. (No hard decition on that yet but i am swaying toward a RCLIPOS 3700 3s pack.. (I also have a 3000mha 10c pack i could play with size is diffrent so I will design to the larger pack..

I plan to use s148 futaba servos (Cheap and i can get from the LHS) and the stock and a multiplex micro-ipd reciver (Have it on hand) I will uncase the reciver and shrink wrape it to save a few grams..

I am not going to worry myself with the lightest of planes . I just want to see what can be pulled together.

I am using one 1/4inch carbon tube spar located in the precut holes on the Demon cores. and will be using the riteway method to build it.

I feel that the one spar with the fiber wraped wing should make this plenty stiff..

I plane to use 1 and 1/4" aleron balsa stock for the control surfaces.

So lets seel where this takes me..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Last edited by PaulVi; Jun 05, 2006 at 11:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2006, 11:50 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
And the build goes on. Motor mount is thin aluminum scrap from a old electronics case. I had a 2foot by 3 foot piece of it and it is about 1/16th of and inch thick.

Cut the slot in the wing for the mount so the mount would just touch the spar it was 3 and 1/2 inches long and 2 inches wide, I bent the 90 in it at 2 and 1/4 inches and drilled the 3 holes 2 for mounting and 1 for the shaft. Very simple mount

I then used goop to glue the mount to the wing i use a popsical stick to push the goop to the bottom of the slot and then work the mount in and out a bit till the goop is all over the slot and the mount.

put it all in the saddle and lay some wieght on it, after about an hour i scrap all the goop that has ozzed out off of the wing and the mount and put it back under the wieght till dry.
Old Jun 04, 2006, 09:28 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I decided on the futaba 3003 servos a bit heavy but also cheap

I started by cutting a close fit out with the solder iron with a wire hoop to act as a trenching tool..

after the rough cut and fit i wanted a snug fitt of later..

I mixed PU and micro baloons hit it with water and pored it into the servo cut outs.

I wraped the servos oin cling wrap and pressed them in the holes..

The water kicked PU foams up well and fills all the voids After it sets i use a long knife and cut the cling wrap off the servo and then just pop the servo out of the hole.

This provides a glove fit for the servo and add's very little added weight
Old Jun 04, 2006, 09:51 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Paul looks good buddy.
Hope it all works good.
Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 04, 2006, 09:57 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Thank you. Things i know for sure.

The servos are big and heavy..

The the motor is real amp hungry

eveything else is up for grabs..

I can always rewind the moor as a matter of fact if this does not work i am going to go up to 10 winds with 2 starnd 24g wire..

we will see..
Old Jun 04, 2006, 10:03 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
I dont think you will hit a wall with that foil.The 3s 3700 should be plenty for that motor.
Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 05, 2006, 01:31 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
And the build goes on.. Battery bay is cut and servos are mounted reciver bay is cut.. next will be the ESC/BEC bay and some wiring on the motor..

after that we star the glasing. again i am not going to be too concerned with a light weight wing if it is a bit heavy and over powered it should carry the momentum well..

And yes i know lighter is always better we will see how it turns out.. again i am just building and using cheap stuff just to see where i can go with it..
Old Jun 05, 2006, 01:33 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
also i added 2 9 inch lengths of 1/4 inch flat carbon stock one on each side of the battery bay and servo. the nose seemed a bit soft.. and flexable
Old Jun 05, 2006, 10:52 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
And the build goes on.. Ready for the covering Ya Hoo..
Old Jun 06, 2006, 06:34 AM
Back behind The Controls
Toney, AL
Joined Dec 2005
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
And the build goes on.. Ready for the covering Ya Hoo..

Hey PaulVi,

Do you have an over-all picture of the wing in it's current state?

Johnnie
Johnnie Paul is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie Paul
Old Jun 06, 2006, 09:49 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
here you go
Old Jun 06, 2006, 11:54 AM
Back behind The Controls
Toney, AL
Joined Dec 2005
1,016 Posts
Quote:
here you go
I like the looks of the 30" Unsanctioned, looks like it would be quite agile...definetly fast. Thanks

Johnnie
Johnnie Paul is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie Paul
Old Jun 06, 2006, 01:42 PM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
here you go
Looks like your tool-box threw up on your work bench, Paul...

rrrrrraaaalph..........

Better hang on to that kitty-litter coupon

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
chuckand is offline Find More Posts by chuckand
Old Jun 06, 2006, 02:24 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckand
Looks like your tool-box threw up on your work bench, Paul...

rrrrrraaaalph..........

Better hang on to that kitty-litter coupon

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Thank you for your kind words..

It has taken a while to get it feeling like i live here but now that it has that warm all over glow..

You should see the computer desk i can almost find my keyboard...

But really i am about a month over due for cleaning it.. gets hard to ask my daughter to clean her room when mine look like it does hahaha

And what no comment on my cute heart shaped lead weights...
Last edited by PaulVi; Jun 06, 2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2006, 11:02 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL
Joined Nov 2004
2,158 Posts
Quote:
Motor mount is thin aluminum scrap from a old electronics case.
Paul I got a suggestion... I might be wrong but, I had an "L" shape motor mount on my TL50. Then I cut it out, to make a better mount for my outrunner. I took 2 "L" shaped thin mounts put them together to make a "T" shape. Now once I mounted my motor back onto my wing it is in the center of my thurst line. Which so far seems to make it less pitchy. Not sure if you will have the same pitchiness with the smaller wing or not. I did do some searching and ran across an aluminum "I" beam. I cut out a few new mounts to try in the future.

The other thing that works good is I used an AXI mount to tie the two mounts togehter while it glued in place. So if I need to change the thurst angle I just add some shims between the AXI monut and the "T" mount.

Don't know if you will have an issue with your wing, but it's just a thought if you notice any weird things when you fly it ver. your other wings.
The "L" shaped mounts work great on a flat bottom wing it lifts the motor to the center on the wing when the bottom is flat.

Sorry I couldn't hold the camera still so the Pics are a bit fuzzy...
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Last edited by TaSaJaRa; Jun 06, 2006 at 11:08 PM.