HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 02, 2006, 11:32 AM
Intermediate Pilot
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Dec 2005
338 Posts
Question
Order of assembly for thrust bearings in ECO 8 head?

Forgive this relatively simple question, but...

I got the thrust bearing kit from CME hobbies for the ECO 8 head, but I don't have order of assembly instructions. I would assume you replace the outer radial bearing in each blade grip with this order (from inside to outside):

1. Special cup washer
2. Thrust bearing washer
3. thrust bearing race
4. thrust bearing washer
5. weird machined hex nut with hex part towards the inside, threaded extension towards the outside (blade)

BUT...if I do that, and tighten things down, then there isn't enough free play in the spindle assembly. The grips get too tight.

Am I missing something or do I have something on backwards? Anyone who has done this modification remember how it goes together? Thanks a lot.

-- Preston
preston_brown is offline Find More Posts by preston_brown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2006, 12:36 PM
I broke my kerpellor.
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2004
2,430 Posts
Sounds kinda backwards - but I'm not sure from your description. When I did mine, I remember it being dead-on perfect, when the nuts are cinched down. The end nuts go with tube inside - that is, the tubular part goes toward center, and it actually inserts into the outer thrust race and cup. I can't remember if those cups go on the outside of the outermost race - but I think that's it. Don't they have the bigger I.D. and the tubular part of the nut fits into them? If so, that's how they go.

Oh yeah, don't take out the outer bearings, just add in the parts of the kit.
Artemetra is offline Find More Posts by Artemetra
Old Jun 02, 2006, 08:25 PM
Intermediate Pilot
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Dec 2005
338 Posts
OK, then it starts to make sense. I'll assemble that way. Thanks.
preston_brown is offline Find More Posts by preston_brown
Closed Thread