HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2006, 01:27 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,743 Posts
Discussion
Anyone build a Robbe Paula lll

I want to build a high quality well engineered boat for a beginner. The Paula lll was recommended by Harbor Models.
Harbor Models was recommended by pacace
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2006, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2006
865 Posts
http://at.robbe-online.net/rims_at.storefront/en
It looks like a pretty neat kit. I especially like the additional buoy kit.
Is this something that interests you?

Don
Tug Guy is offline Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Jun 01, 2006, 02:26 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,743 Posts
It was recommented as a well engineered kit for a starter.
Old Jun 02, 2006, 09:49 PM
Dan Sinstead
Bobcaygeon, Ontario
Joined Dec 2005
8 Posts
Robbe Paula III

A friend of mine built the Paula III and it went together quite nicely. He does have extensive building experience and he did modify it somewhat in that he has a seperate motor to raise and lower the a-frame besides the winch motor. He made it look like there are hydraulic pistons to raise and lower the a-frame. He raises and lowers a diving bell and he plans on making a model ROV. This is not something I would recommend for a beginner but if you have some mechanical experience, it is something to consider. You could even add this function later to the model. He uses a Model Control Devices SWITCH 8 Function Control to operate the A-frame, winch motor and several lighing circuits.

Dan
Tiger Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Tiger Wolf
Old Jun 03, 2006, 04:37 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
IWC,
I built the 'Paula III' about a year ago. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend it as a 1st boat if the builder will follow the instructions. It's a very complete and nice boat. I didn't make the crane operate though. The only warning I would give is to seal the rear hatch and don't try full reverse for very long, or you'll think it's going to submerge (not really, but it'll sure flood the deck!).
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jun 03, 2006, 05:33 AM
Joined Jan 2006
865 Posts
Pictures if you can get any would be nice to see.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Wolf
A friend of mine built the Paula III and it went together quite nicely. He does have extensive building experience and he did modify it somewhat in that he has a seperate motor to raise and lower the a-frame besides the winch motor. He made it look like there are hydraulic pistons to raise and lower the a-frame. He raises and lowers a diving bell and he plans on making a model ROV. This is not something I would recommend for a beginner but if you have some mechanical experience, it is something to consider. You could even add this function later to the model. He uses a Model Control Devices SWITCH 8 Function Control to operate the A-frame, winch motor and several lighing circuits.

Dan
Tug Guy is offline Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Jun 03, 2006, 06:48 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
You'll notice the 'Paula III' does not make for a very good icebreaker. Just couldn't wait. The mast is a bit larger than the plans called for, but it's being used as the radio's antenna.
- 'Doc
Old Jun 03, 2006, 09:18 PM
Joined Apr 2006
634 Posts
LtDOc its only the tip of the iceberg. DOn't be goin titanic now.
charge1(ds) is offline Find More Posts by charge1(ds)
Old Jun 04, 2006, 11:30 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
The water hadn't gotten 'Titanic' thick yet, so no problem in that regard. As far as ~me~ going 'Titanic'... I've been over weight for years... you're too late there.
- 'Doc
Old Jun 05, 2006, 10:10 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
I think a few of us (myself included) might have more to fear from harpoons than ice...
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Jun 05, 2006, 10:24 AM
Joined Apr 2006
634 Posts
The titanic hit a lone icebaerg so watch out.
charge1(ds) is offline Find More Posts by charge1(ds)
Old Jun 05, 2006, 10:40 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,743 Posts
thanks for the tips and the pic