SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2006, 09:20 AM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts
Build Log
DSV Seawell... A Mighty Long Project

Hi All ..... Thought it was time I Posted some progress, on this my First Scratch Built model.. Some say Im off my head for even considering a project of this complexity. And Being a silver surfer And in my later years of modelling of all sorts since I was aged 12, I think With a little help from my friends I should get through !!!!!. Enough of that Heres a pic of the Baby I will be trying to produce for the next Three to four years,thats if I survive that long..............................
algiecrook is offline Find More Posts by algiecrook
Last edited by algiecrook; Jun 01, 2006 at 09:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2006, 10:34 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Algie,
I think 'some' may be right, you're off you head! Having said that the next question is, "Why not?". Looks like it should be fun and it'll at least keep you off the streets but not out of the bars! Good luck and post progress!
- 'Doc

[I don't feel near as lonely any more! There really are other 'other' kind of people out there.]
[Aside from 'avatar' there are numerous other names something like that is called. They usually refer to it's parentage, asd start with "@#$%"...]
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jun 01, 2006, 10:51 AM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts
Hi Doc ..... Hmm Ive just Been trying to reduce the pic to Avatar size but no joy so far.Yes Ive been told that what I intend to do is impossible . That to me is red rag to a bull , and leaves me breaking my neck to do it, Ive got a few pics of the story so far which I will be putting up today so shall we say watch this space !!! Thanks for the encouragement Cant afford to drink with this baby!!!....................Alan
Last edited by algiecrook; Jun 01, 2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 11:06 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
I say go for it, why not.
What scale / size are planning?
mitchlandry is offline Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Jun 01, 2006, 11:19 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,286 Posts
Don't be intimidated, be inspired. there is no reason you can't build this ship.
It is not impossible.
Here is Jimmy Wood's CSO SEAWELL shown on Model boat Mayhem UK.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Sho...well/index.htm

The biggest challenge I find in such a project is building strong enough for transporting to and from the pond. I am always breaking something.

We await updates and pictures as you plan and start construction.
(By the time you finish, RC helicopters should be just small enough)
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Jun 01, 2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 11:34 AM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts

Well Here Goes........... Im Not going to do the usual where One shows the drawings and then the cut out frames and then the assembly and so on .Just pics of the progress and where it matters a broken down view with a description of materials and if I can some of the cost But I dont want to dwell on costs as her indoors would go Ballistic ,If any questions arise Bearing in mind that this is My first Scratch build of anything I will try to answer and of course welcome any help along the way.....

So here we are .. the first two pics are of the Hull frame work .... which I was forced to scrap due to My drawing efforts ,so thats got that out of the way, following on is the second attempt which im glad to say is still on the stocks
Frames are of Birch Ply.
Planking is Lime.. Various sizes From 2 mm x 5mm Up to 2mm x 20mm
Keel is 12mm x10mm Mahogany.
The Glassing is 75 Gram Fabricand resin on the outside and just Resin on the inside
Old Jun 01, 2006, 11:38 AM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts
Hi Umi ,,,,,, Yes Jimmy is a good friend and has been a great help getting me off the stocks I have some 120 pics of his model
As to the Avatar ...looks fine but how do I get it on my profile.
Ive been building since November last yr ...
Hi Mitch Scale Is 1:100 so Loa is 1.1 Metres
Look Left Guys Ive dunnnit Thanks Umi.............
Last edited by algiecrook; Jun 01, 2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 12:43 PM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts

Jimmy Woods 's Model is A display only model and is breathtakingly accurate in every detail Actually due to printing error My scale comes down to 1:99 (But Keep it to yourselves) which makes mine a tad longer than his so you can guess I took the opportunity to wind him up.
the fact that mine is a working model brings in Loads of pitfalls which I'll cover as I go along ,the first one being that I intend to gain access to the interior by making all the deck as a lift off in two parts fore and aft but I'll go into that Later ...........Heres some more Pics....

The drives are self explanitory all made from Brass Tube and washers the Gears are 1to1 Delrin and the bearings on the final prototype are 3mm Bore,8mmO/D 4mm Thick these will be used on the Aft azimuth drives and the Bow thrusters will be slightly different inasmuch as they will have oilite bushes instead of bearings 6 Drives in total, the motors are as in the pic which are used for indoor aircraft being the smallest motor I could find to fit in the space available with the spec I require. The Batteries at this point are 6 Volt 4AH of which I will try two and maybe if weight permits three
Last edited by algiecrook; Jun 01, 2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 12:56 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,286 Posts
Fantastic work on the Z drive.
Are those for the bow thrusters, or azimuthing stern drives?
Old Jun 01, 2006, 01:09 PM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts
Umi Ive Edited the last post to describe the drives .... I m really not sure that Im going about this the right way, but I have pictorially got around 7 to 8 months progress all in one go which I will post progressively for the next day or so then things will hopefully settle down to a more sensible progress report. Perhaps you could comment Ive never done this before so any help would be great...........Alan

PS the heads have changed slightly with respect to the rudder side but you'll see that further up the line......A
Last edited by algiecrook; Jun 01, 2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 01:26 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,286 Posts
Comments?
"OMG, they are fantastic" wait, I said that...

"WOW"

I have often considered whether I could build a Z drive, but I always imagine how I could get the joints misaligned, or how to assemble and disassemble them for installation or maintenance. And then I get over engineered.

Your work looks spot on, and well thought out.
You could show us a build up on just the Z drive, and everyone here would be overjoyed. (and overwhelmed, and off to abuse brass tubing)

"Wow"... wait I said that..
Are those shaped with epoxy putty?
Old Jun 01, 2006, 01:36 PM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts

As to the strength I had the opportunity to test the First Hull which was completely planked out when I trashed it, inasmuch as I stood on it with all my 210 LBS and it didnt even crack . the second hull is much stronger and with all the planking and fibreglass in place complete with the decks weighs in at a mere 8 1/2 LBS , the decks as you will see are laminated with 20 s gauge Aluminium sheet , to strengthen them and to stop warping when all the superstructure is on and lifted for access.............A
Last edited by algiecrook; Jun 01, 2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 01:49 PM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts
Yes they are encapsulated in fabric and resin and then need to be shaped to a Sympathetic finish for water flow .I'll try and put a post together about the heads and how I arrived at the finished object.A
Last edited by algiecrook; Jun 01, 2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 03:41 PM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts

Umi....... As Requested Heres as Near as I can get to the way I produced the azimuth drives for the boat The Bow thrusters are the same except that they have oilite Bushes instead of bearings since they wont get the hammer that the aft ones will get as I said in post 8... You have to bear in mind that I have no Engineering experience other than the fact that my son is an engineer and that I borrowed a Unimat Lathe to turn the dowel and some of the bearing housings. The Flanges were made from Brass washers throughout and from a tooling point of view I have no more than a good set of files and a cordless drill along with a dremel which vibrates for England , the dowel was used as a jig to hold all the components and made so that once the components were soldered the dowel could be pulled apart to use on the next one ... this was to hold the components together to keep everything square and true. Once the assemly was complete I packed the whole thing with grease and soldered all the end caps in place the shafts are of silver steel And the delrin gears are Pinned to the shafts with 1mm Brass wire (Details in post 8)
Last edited by algiecrook; Jun 01, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 05:18 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,611 Posts
Impressive indeed. Nice to see this kind of work at such an early stage! keep up the great postings.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S