SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2002, 09:26 PM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,008 Posts
Foam safe CA?

What brands/specific packaging should I look for? I went to the hardware store and there were 50 different types of glue but none of them seemed to be the right kind.

I did see two that said they worked on foam, but they were not CA (one was rubber cement and the other polyester I think), and both of them took over 24 hours to set, which is no good.

They did have the 3M77 there (here in Canada), but I need something that is in a small tube.
Xoltri is offline Find More Posts by Xoltri
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2002, 06:00 AM
Joined Nov 2001
388 Posts
Zap make a foam safe CA called Zap-O (O stands for odourless).
Its not cheap tho....

Adam
Foxy is offline Find More Posts by Foxy
Old Jul 20, 2002, 11:03 AM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
Xoltri,

Just use small amounts of 5 min epoxy. It is true that epoxy is heavy, but unless you are slathering it on large surfaces, the wieght gain is negligible. Almost every hardware store has 5 min epoxy in small double syringe packages.

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Jul 20, 2002, 11:48 AM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
Almost every odorless CA is foam friendly. Just test it out on a scrap before you melt your new wing!
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Jul 20, 2002, 04:13 PM
DLC
Houston, TX USA
Joined Jun 2001
359 Posts
I just finished my first foam build using Sturdyboard. As an experiment, I used some 'gap-filling' CA from my LHS and it worked great - no foam melting etc. The CA has a LHS label on it, so I don't know who makes it. Was I just lucky that my LHS happens to stock foam-compatible CA, or is sturdy board more impervious to CA than some types of foam?
DLC is offline Find More Posts by DLC
Old Jul 20, 2002, 08:01 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Jul 2002
204 Posts
foam safe CA

all the "No Odor CA's" should be foam safe... just be aware that if you use a kicker it will attack the foam cause it generates heat and it may attack it chemically as well...

the foam safe CA's are also about double the price of regular CA... you have to shop around... I found some NHP Flash brand at
Superiour Balsa.. $12.00 for a 2 oz bottle.

http://www.superiorbalsa.com/ca.htm
cfischer505 is offline Find More Posts by cfischer505
Old Jul 21, 2002, 05:11 AM
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
400 Posts
if your using epp then i recomend house hold goop if eps use epoxy
wingmaster is offline Find More Posts by wingmaster
Old Jul 21, 2002, 08:05 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
I'll pitch in my two cents just in case anyone is on the fence about the price or whatever. I built my first OCA foamie yesterday. In the past I have tried using wood glue, epoxy, probond, the 3m spray, foam safe silicone and anything else I have that is sticky. OCA may be expensive (why I took so long to try it) but I didn't end up using as much as I thought I would. It was also quick drying, light, non-headache inducing, and easy to just pick up at any time and get the glue exactly where I wanted it.

I still like the other glues as they all have good uses ... 3m for tacking/covering. Epoxy for build-ups and strength. Probond for strong gap fills (love those foaming bubbles). Silicone for shock proofing. But until the next best thing comes along, OCA will be my regular glue for quick building because it is fast and convienent.

I felt the same way about the LION batteries. I waited because of initial price and lack of knowledge, and then finally tried them. Then I wondered why I waited and how I lived without them!
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk