HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2002, 05:21 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
Common setup for full house sailplane on Futaba 8U?

Ok guys, I'm ready to program my Silent Dream 2.8 into my Futaba 8U but I need some help.

This is a 6 servo sailplane with a motor. I have 4 servos in the wings, 2 aileron and 2 flaps. 2 servos for the v-tail.

I'd like to put the throttle on a switch and use the throttle stick for the flaps. Is this the common setup?

If anyone is flying a similar setup can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks
ferradas is offline Find More Posts by ferradas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2002, 05:58 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
glid1 or glid 2, with throttle coming from trainer switch, probably mapped to ch. 3 out.
I actually use two switches for throttle. One (a toggle) brings the motor up to about 30% power to throw the model, then the trainer (spring-loaded) switch takes it up to 100%. I can also use the 30% setting to cruise if I need extra time in an emergency (someone on the LZ or similar)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 19, 2002, 08:08 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
Andy, how do you set the flaps to come down with the throttle stick?

I would also like to set up camber on the entire trailing edge. What switch should I put that on?
Old Jul 19, 2002, 08:35 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The glid1 or glid2 mode automatically uses throttle to control flaps. That's why it's there. Sailplanes don't have motors (although you can mix a switch back to CH3 to make a motor run).
You always want to use glid2 mode, however, even if you have one flap servo or use a Y adapter (problems with flap motion with certain presets with glid1).
TE control is also covered by this mode - camber control, or flap to aileron mixing. It's covered in the manual also.

You do have a manual?
..a
Old Jul 19, 2002, 09:15 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
Thanks Andy, I'm looing at the manual now and it has it laid out pretty clearly. I just wanted a general feel of what others were doing.

Shoot, now it looks like one of my ailerons has a twist it!

AGGHHHRRRR
Old Jul 19, 2002, 10:10 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
OK Andy, here's what I programmed, tell me what you think.

I have both flaps set to come down to 90 degress using the throttle stick. UP is no flaps and down is full flaps.

I have the camber setup on the "G Switch". The top position gives me about 3mm down on all ailerons and flaps, the center position turns the camber off.

I have the crow setup on the down position of the "G Switch"

That's all I have for now, am I missing anything? ( Crow, Camber, Flaps)

Paul
Last edited by ferradas; Jul 19, 2002 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2002, 12:11 AM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, I can't find in the manual how to setup the motor on a switch?

I like your idea of having 100% on one switch and 30% on another.

How do you do this?

THanks
Old Jul 20, 2002, 06:22 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You may want camber control on a knob, not a switch. 3 degrees may be too much, it's nice to be able to tune it with a knob.
Flaps are correct - back stick means slow, flaps deployed, or just like on a full-scale sailplane - pull back on the handle for spoilers or flaps. It's intuitive once you fly it a little. Did you enable crow/butteryfly?

As far as throttle on switches, from my Filip, I have:
PMIX-3 OFS CH8 +100 LINK OFF SW-F DOWN
PMIX-4 OFS CH8 +40 LINK OFF SH-H DOWN

It's 40% on this one. Also, note my throttle (ESC) is on CH8.. Of course, someone dropped my Tx and the trainer switch (F) is broken. Won't be flying models with this setup for a while..
..a
Old Jul 20, 2002, 12:35 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
OK, its starting to make sense although my ESC will be connected to channel 3, in the PMIX Im going to try this:

PMIX-3

OFS - ABK 100% LINK OFF SW-F DOWN

I'm guessing that the 100% means 100% throttle.
Old Jul 20, 2002, 12:57 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Make sure (if your ESC is on CH 3) that it isn't activated by the throttle stick also. Flap mix on throttle does not (I don't think) deactivate response to CH3. You have to use another PMIX THR->CH3 -100%
..a
Old Jul 21, 2002, 01:06 AM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
I can't get the radio to do anything with the ESC plugged into CH3 and it set like this:

OFS => ABK 100%

LINK OFF SWITCH F DOWN

It just doesn't do anything, the motor doesnt respond to the throttle stick either Andy, I think it's because I'm using the BUTTERFLY command on the throttle stick but it's really setup for flaps, confusing huh?

Then I tried the ESC on CH8 and set it like this:

OFS => CH8 100%

LINK OFF SWITCH F DOWN

It does work this way, although I can also control the motor with the CH8 rotary knob. I also notice that when I flip the switch, the motor doesn't give the power. I try the knob all the way up and it gives much more power. It seems like the percentage number in the MIX is a percentage of where the CH8 knob is currently at.

Too bad the Don Edburg book doesn't mention a full house sailplane with motor.

There's gotta be more guys out there with a setup like this. YOO HOO!!
Old Jul 21, 2002, 02:16 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I must have CH8 mixed out so the knob does not affect it.
..a